Who Carries a J Frame For a CCW ?

Primary is an S&W® M&P® Bodyguard™ DAO 38 with a CT® Laser. BUG is a Charter Arms Undercover® DAO 38. Both guns are loaded with Hornady® Critical Defense ammunition.

I used to own a model 60 and 649. Both were reliable and super easy to carry. I liked both very much. And then, one day, Kimber decided to build the K6s with a hammer. I traded my J-frame revolvers for the K6s. Needless to say, I love this revolver. It is sturdy, as a Ruger SP101, and is similar in size to a J-frame with six shots. I can carry it in the pocket, waist holster and even an ankle holster. It also has better sights. It is expensive but well worth every penny. It handles .38 and .357 ammo perfectly. I use .38 spl +P most of the time, when I carry it.

Regardless of the brand and model, every gun owner should have a J-frame revolver in his/her collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4ecf37a2e94a41c31f601c46fdbca7ac.jpg

The K6 is one really nice gun. Congrats, would love to have one. And I also like the exposed Hammer.

Just order this book of 38 tips for the Snubbie

Do you have a .38 snubby you carry as a BUG, or as a deep concealment weapon when discretion is paramount? If you do, you need a copy of Thirty Eight Straight Tips for Better Snub Shooting , by Michael DeBethencourt.

one of the most knowledgeable snub users around. For decades he has been carrying short barreled revolvers and teaching their use. This little booklet is available delivered for less than 8 bucks and every snub user should have a copy. See https://www.imwithroscoe.com/38-stra...snub-shooting/ to order yours now.

Last edited:
Deceision Made

I found a used Kimber K6S at a price point I thought was good.
I should be picking up the gun tomorrow or Friday. Looking forward to it like a kid on Christmas.

Daily carry for me is a 340PD loaded with Remington Golden Saber +p's either in the pocket or a Don Hume belt holster.

I have carried a J-frame, but never really cared that much for them.

Then I bought one of the "new" Colt Cobra's. The J-frames went away. For me the Cobra is a better choice. It's a little bigger, holds six rounds rather than five, has a better trigger than any J-frame I've ever used, (A PC 642-1 was really close though). The fiber optic front sight jumps out at me, and the grip is bigger and fits my hand better, giving better control, so as a result, I shoot it better than I ever have any J-frame.

Colt got this one right...for me anyway. YMMV.

enhance
Range buddy let me try out his new Colt Cobra over holidays. Felt great, shot great. I have a 642, and two LCR's. Thinking of move up a notch and the Cobra is on the list.

Don't laugh, but I also tried the Rock Island Armory and it was a nice shooter. Not a polished GEM, but it felt good, handled well. And you sure can't beat the cost.

Airweight 637-2 with titanium .357 Magnum cylinder for further weight reduction, reamed for 9mm and moonclips. Hogue laser grips.

2nd gun

I have a J-frame and occasionally carry it as a second gun, infrequently as a primary one. Its simplicity of operation lends itself to bamawife use and it ends sometimes as a car gun too. Back in the revolver days, my agency never authorized back-up guns, but it was not uncommon for J-frames to be carried outside of policy by those more concerned about survival and less about what bureaucrats thought. When policy changed and back-ups were authorized, SIGS were the primary handgun, and the SIG 230/.380 got approved for a second gun.

My preferred CCW rig includes both a 1911 (GM or Cdr) and a SW638. 1911 strong side, 638 pocket or ankle.

Many times I will head out with only the 638. Pocket or strong side OWB holster.

One middle-ground option is an Officer's ACP in 9mm. IMO, 9mm is perfect for the OACP.

As far as 9mm revolvers, I want a CCW allow 9mm J-frame with the cyl & frame shortened to reduce size & mass.

I rotate a S&W 60-15 3" Pro with a Kimber Micro 9 for CCWs. Had a lot of revolvers over the years but this j-frame is my favorite. With a Hogue rubber grip and a set of Wolfe springs it is easy shooting 38+P or light 357 like Winchester 110 gr JHP ammo and easy to conceal it in a OWB holster. Dennis

Last edited:
have four J's,

and carry GM & CCC, 39-2, HP & 4: K-frame.

Nice when wearing deep pocket pant / ccargo shorts.

Carry two Bianchi speed stripswith reloads or speed-loaders.

I carry a 9mm Rohrbaugh in side pocket. If I put a gun on belt it is usually a Security Industries .357. EXACT copy of model 60 BUT has spur hammer, crown barrel and recessed cylinder, for the .357 round. IF you can find them they are great guns with early models.

Back