Who Carries a J Frame For a CCW ?

V3cfVEl.jpg

Model 940 9mm

Not meaning to stray too far from topic, but what are y'alls thoughts on a Smith Mod 940 in 9mm ?

Not meaning to stray too far from topic, but what are y'alls thoughts on a Smith Mod 940 in 9mm ?
I get the novelty of shooting 9mm from a revolver. You get the supposed reliability benefits of a revolver versus a semi that needs to reciprocate a slide. Your ammo costs go down a little and there is plenty of selection. You get something in between .38 special and .357 magnum as far as power, recoil, and expansion potential. However, you've still only got five shots and now you've got to use moon clips.

At the end of the day, I prefer my 9mm in semi-autos and either .38 special or .327 Federal in my revolvers.

I've always kinda liked 9MM revolvers. Had several, and still have a 940, and SP101 in 9MM.
I've done some chronographing, and it's what cosmodragoon said as far as power,etc. The more energetic 9MM is closer to .357 than any 38+P I've chronographed to this point. But there are those moon clips so many shooters apparently detest. I suspect the vast majority of buyers would be happier with a revolver chambered in traditional .38 Spcl., .357 or other rimmed revolver cartridge.....

Attachments

• Little  9mm Revolvers (5) (1) - Copy - Copy.JPG
    Little 9mm Revolvers (5) (1) - Copy - Copy.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 54
I used to own a model 60 and 649. Both were reliable and super easy to carry. I liked both very much. And then, one day, Kimber decided to build the K6s with a hammer. I traded my J-frame revolvers for the K6s. Needless to say, I love this revolver. It is sturdy, as a Ruger SP101, and is similar in size to a J-frame with six shots. I can carry it in the pocket, waist holster and even an ankle holster. It also has better sights. It is expensive but well worth every penny. It handles .38 and .357 ammo perfectly. I use .38 spl +P most of the time, when I carry it.

Regardless of the brand and model, every gun owner should have a J-frame revolver in his/her collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4ecf37a2e94a41c31f601c46fdbca7ac.jpg

I have 4 J frame Smith & Wesson revolvers.

A Model 36 tapered barrel, a Model 36 heavy barrel, a Model 60 heavy barrel and a S&W 650 in .22 that I use as a practice gun.

Carried the M36 for years as an off duty and backup gun. Now the M60 has kind of replaced it -- I just qualified with the S&W 60 in January on a course that required shooting back to 25 yards.

I've always carried OWB and usually used speed strips carried in an ammo pouch as reloads. My current holster was made by Tex Shoemaker shortly before they went out of business.

These days my Glock 43 is also seeing a lot of use for off duty, and my G42 has become my back up gun on duty.

I have carries a 642-1 for the last 10 years. Prior to that I carried a 642-2 (IL) and a M60. Most of the time all were carried with Pachmayr Compacs and some times with UM Boot grips when more concealment was needed. Grips take about 2 minutes to swap.

You 642 PC Enhanced with the oversized grips can also be switched to smaller boot grips!

I could see a NY ReLoad holster for J frames being used quite easily in the summer as it would conceal easily OWB under a basic button down shirt.

My daily carry gun is a S&W M38. Once in awhile to change things up I will carry my chiefs special model 36. My holster of choice is a De santis nemesis N3 pocket holster. I live in Florida, mostly wear jean shorts all year long. It works perfect

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 87
Rather than a J Frame, I carry a couple of J Frame size revolver. One is a hammerless Taurus 605 and the other is a Taurus 856.

I’ve been carrying Two 442’s for years. Just recently I got a 3” 36. A 442 is always in my off hand pocket and the 36 is in my waist.

Last edited:
My first carry was a 637 Airweight. Fantastic gun, easy to carry, easy to shoot. My wife finally took it over but one cannot go wrong with a snub nose as a carry.

I had a 642 and a 36. Great guns to carry. Despite significant range time, I never felt comfortable with my level of proficiency with them and have since sold the 642 and gave away the 36.

I've always kinda liked 9MM revolvers. Had several, and still have a 940, and SP101 in 9MM.
I've done some chronographing, and it's what cosmodragoon said as far as power,etc. The more energetic 9MM is closer to .357 than any 38+P I've chronographed to this point. But there are those moon clips so many shooters apparently detest. I suspect the vast majority of buyers would be happier with a revolver chambered in traditional .38 Spcl., .357 or other rimmed revolver cartridge.....
I do not know about most shooters, but I love moon clips. And I love the LCR9mm. Load up about 40 moon clips before each training session. (Ruger moon clips suck, I purchase from Seebreeze). I like the ballistics, the cost, and the gun is this side of pleasant before going harsh. Shoots about the same in recoil as a 38Plus p. I like the way moon clips can carry and be reloaded quickly.

Here is a fantastic review in detail with the Ballistics chart compared to other small barrel semi auto's.
That said, I typically carry the 642 more often and train with the LCR9mm and LCR22.

"Moon clips are nothing new. World Champion revolver shooter Jerry Miculek has used moon clips to good effect for decades in his .45 ACP revolvers. Here's a real mind blower. Did you know that competitive revolver shooters will send their .38 Special and .357 Magnum revolver cylinders to custom gunsmiths so they can be machined to accept moon clips? It's true. Moon clips are the fastest way to reload a revolver."

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

Last edited:
At 75 years old and retired I carry everyday. I never adapted to striker fired guns so my rotation consists of a full size Series 70 Colt, that has been heavily modified to my needs and desires, a SA 4" Compact 45 (Range Officer Compact) and a S&W 340PD. 90% or the time I carry the Compact 45 at 28oz, and the J frame rides with me in my most descreat moments. I have considered adding a Sig P938 or SA 911 in 9mm to the rotation, but I always go back to the 11.4oz j frame as my go to small alternative. It's so discrete I can carry it in gym shorts or a jacket pocket. The element of surprise, and weight to power ratio is so awesome, I don't think I could give it up. Yes J frames are hard to master, but I think I have a fairly good handle after playing with then for about the last 50 years.

From another guy who lives in the great state of Texas.

I tried to buy 2 different 642's from the Performance Center. Luckily I ordered through Davidson's that allows you to return if there is a problem. Both had problems. Both had clocked barrels that were not centered on the frames. A very common problem with J frames and most revolvers today. Something to watch out for if you buy one on line or even in person. Look at a row of J's and I'm sure some will have clocked barrels. The second one had a very sluggish trigger return. Both were returned.

Years ago I bought my wife a pinned 3" 36 we both loved. Traded it but still liked the 3" size for ease of shooting. I had a steel 2" Taurus for a while. A bit heavy for pocket carry and one day I noticed the barrel wasn't straight on it either. This time though, the barrel threads weren't even drilled straight into the frame. No wonder it shot to the left.

Now I enjoy an older 3" bulldog .44 Special for belt carry and with deep pockets, pocket carry. Not as handy as a small J, but close enough for now. Until I pick up a 38 snub - maybe a Ruger lcr, I use a Ruger lcp .380 for days I want something to throw in a pocket. My 9mm is a dao Sig P250sc since I don't want to carry a striker. It's much lighter than my Series 70 Colt Govt Model and gets carried more.

Good luck picking one out and I hope you find a good one.

I just started carrying my brand new charter undercover ( always carried full size 1911). I don’t think I’ll ever leave the house again without a 2 “ snubby. I love it!

Back