Who Carries a J Frame For a CCW ?

Model 442 for me, at least when I need to wear dress clothes or it's not easy or desirable to carry something larger. Crimson Trace laser grips help the aiming tremendously. It carries very well around 4:30 position and can be tucked under a shirt easily. I find the curved butt of a revolver, even a longer one, conceals more easily in that position than the more right-angled semi-auto frames.

.38sp+p is pretty manageable in that small gun. .357 mag is for those who like to suffer :)

Still, my usual carry is a semi-auto in AIWB position.

Especially considering the new micro 9's with their 10+ capacities, in packages almost identical to a J-frame's size, capacity is more an argument against revolvers than ever. But if you like revolvers and shoot them well, I think they'll always be a very good choice for CCW. I've always suspected the capacity argument is somewhat overblown when people talk about civilian CCW.

When I carry a revolver these days it is most often a "J" sized or Colt Detective Special sized one. Usually it will be in one of my shoulder holsters.

Charter Arms Undercover in Bianchi 215 rig:
standard.jpg

I have carried a J-frame, but never really cared that much for them.

Then I bought one of the "new" Colt Cobra's. The J-frames went away. For me the Cobra is a better choice. It's a little bigger, holds six rounds rather than five, has a better trigger than any J-frame I've ever used, (A PC 642-1 was really close though). The fiber optic front sight jumps out at me, and the grip is bigger and fits my hand better, giving better control, so as a result, I shoot it better than I ever have any J-frame.

Colt got this one right...for me anyway. YMMV.

enhance

I mostly carry 1911s but I've got a custom S&W 360J that I've carried for almost 12 years as a BUG when working or concealed in a pocket or ankle holster when a larger gun won't fit the situation. They're handy, accurate, reliable, and effective.

I have several J-frames which saw off-duty carry before I retired, and have continued to serve me as retirement weapons.

I tend to favor pocket holster carry for them, as it takes weight off my hips/glutes and waist, which developed some easily aggravated hot spots due to many years of wearing duty gear. The years during which I carried off-duty weapons using IWB holsters probably didn't help, either. Especially the larger guns, like K, L & N-frame revolvers, my well-used Combat Commander and other 1911's, an assortment of Security-Six variants and a Redhawk ... and then all my pistols, both issued and personally-owned. Duty gear and IWB carry can start to take a toll, no matter how great the design and quality of holsters used.

It was the J-frames that made off-duty carry, and then retirement carry, a lot easier. It helped that I could use them so often at our range while working as a firearms instructor, too. The first time I tried an Airweight was at the end of the 90's, and I ordered one of the 642-1's that were rated for +P. It made pocket holster carry a lot easier. I invested a couple cases of ammunition becoming accustomed to the snappier recoil of the Airweight, though.

Over the years more Airweights and lightweight DAO snubs were added to my collection, including a couple of M&P 340's, another 642-1 and a neat variation of the older M37, being from a special production run made for a canceled overseas order. It was a 37-2DAO, made on the earlier Airweight frame and pre-MIM. I kinda wish I'd bought a pair of them, but their limited numbers didn't help keep the prices down when they were released on the wholesale vendor market.

I still like my remaining steel framed J's, but it's the lighter weight models that see the bulk of my retirement carry. I can slip one of them, in a UM pocket holster, in the front pockets of most of my jeans, shorts and slacks, or occasionally a jacket pocket. I had ample practice drawing them from pocket holster carry in pants and jackets while serving as a firearms instructor on my former agency's range, too. Top it off with 1-2 speedstrips, or speedloaders, if I'm wearing a jacket.

Handy. Now, if I'm wearing jeans that have front pockets that are too short and tight to accommodate one of my J's? Well, that's the only reason I picked up a couple of LCP's. ;)

Good reads y'all, thanks.
I would really like the Kimber Micro 9 to fit the task, but think I am gravitating back to the J frame. I had a S&W 640 Pro Series (should have kept) , that I thought was an outstanding J frame.

Yes - for me the EDC is a Taurus 85UL; also in the regular rotation is a S&W P.C. 642 (enhanced). The SW would be my primary, as it's DA operation is significantly smoother than the Taurus - but that extended grip is more pronounced and noticeable (at least to me) on my beltline in the SmartCarry holster with my daily dress. I do own and carry a couple of bottom feeders at times but nothing else I have tried carries as comfortably and discreetly as an ultralight J-frame.

I carried a 642 as a backup duty gun for a short while, but never relied on it for CCW. My favorite J-Frames for CCW are actually the 351C or 351PD, which I will occasionally throw in my jacket pocket during the colder months. I feel that many shooters are too quick to discount the .22 Magnum, and I like that the 351's have a 7-round capacity. They also have better sights than the 642. If you are willing to give .22 MAG a chance, it may be worth looking into one of the 351 models.

Yes, I more often than not carry a 637 (lock removed). I do want to eventually change to a Cobra, to gain an additional round and hopefully not have it eat into my thumb knuckle if the cylinder release is a much different shape. Other than that it's a great, it's my "T-shirt weather" gun when my 1911 or the Glock will be impractical.

If you still want to carry a Kimber, and really want to pay an insane amount of money for six rounds, the K6 revolver series is SWEET. I've never fired one but the triggers are amazing, fit an finish are impeccable, they look gorgeous, etc.

They can be had in a lot of configurations, including a longer 3" barrel if desired.

I used to carry a 442. I switched to an LCR several years ago and I like it better. It's more comfortable to shoot and still rides well in a pocket holster.

Back