Who Carries a J Frame For a CCW ?

BradS

I carried a Model 36 as a backup gun for years while on the job regardless of
what sidearm we were issued. I never had any problem at qualification time.
I have now sold my striker fired guns and moved to the 1911 platform.
My first thoughts were to add a Micro 9 in the 1911 platform, but then the J frame may be a better idea. I have always had a connection to a snubby and initially was issued a S&W 686.
Anyone carry 1911's and have a J frame in your rotation ?

My normal carry is a 642 in pocket or IWB. Having only 5 rounds scares some people and they won't consider the J Frame.

I have 3 j frames in rotation at the moment. A 642, 49, and a 36. I carry the air weight most often due to weight. I mostly pocket carry them in a galco holster. I do have a galco pancake holster for belt carry. 5 rounds has never been an issue for me.

Model 60 Smith in .357 in an OWB holster...it's not a back up gun...I'm a civilian, on a farm, 7 miles from a town. I've used it successfully to put down stock that was disabled, and deer hit by cars or, in another case, one that had been shot by an inept hunter firing a 243 from 300 yards.

I also carry regularly, a 1911 Sig modeled after Colt's Officer's Model: shorter grip, 4" bbl etc. I don't have trouble with the manual of arms after 50+ years of familiarity; nor the change over from revolver to auto for the same period of time...others may have difficulty...it's a training issue IMHO.

Both are carried in the same 4 o'clock position, OWB fashion. YMMv Rod

Last edited:
I've used it successfully to put down stock that was disabled, and deer hit by cars or, in one case, and inept hunter shooting a 243 at 300 yards.

I don't think you were supposed to tell anyone about what happened to the hunter. :D

While I don't carry a 1911, I have to choose between a micro 9 or a j frame most mornings. For me, it's simple. Some pants have such small pocket mouths that only the j frame with its very slim and angled grip can be withdrawn easily.

Thanks y'all for taking the time to reply.
The muscle memory on the micro 9 would be an advantage, but as mentioned training is the solution.
The micro 9's kinda concern me with the reliability and control though.

I have both, a micro 9 and a 637. The J frame wins because I have a perfect ankle holster for it. I can hit better with the micro 9. The rest of the days, it’s a Shield compact in45.

David

I carry a Smith 36 snub or a Mod 36 in 3" depending on where I'm going but for normal wear, I now carry a Glock 26 primarily for more capacity.

Dyl: I don't think you were supposed to tell anyone about what happened to the hunter.
Ah...many thanks picking up what my long ago, spinster English teacher would have called, "a misplaced modifier". Editing one's post before entering is a fine notion...I'll do better next time>>>>>Rod

For several years before retiring, a 1911 primary weapon, with a J-Frame as a second weapon, was exactly what I carried. Mostly a 640, later the lighter 642. Now, more often than not, the 642 or a S&W 3913 of proven reliability.

BTW, I share your concern about the reliability of the micro 9s. The little J-Frames always worked....

"For several years before retiring, a 1911 primary weapon, with a J-Frame as a second weapon, was exactly what I carried. Mostly a 640, later the lighter 642. Now, more often than not, the 642 or a S&W 3913 of proven reliability.

BTW, I share your concern about the reliability of the micro 9s. The little J-Frames always worked...."

The J frame is also very concealable, perhaps not quite as much as the micro 9's, but I agree, they always worked.
Thanks rock

I carry a 342. I have a lot of confidence in that little revolver. While it's not as capable as something like my G26, it's much easier to carry concealed in hot weather.

I don't HAVE to carry anymore. I choose to carry as often as possible and commit to keeping up on my skill set and practice, practice, practice.

This model 60 goes with me most often - 95% of the time...

6798060957_c224c362d8_w.jpg

It carries best/easiest for me - so it goes with me. If I carry something bigger, Glock or 1911, and they are unpleasant enough that I start to leave them behind - now I have a problem. All the carry guns I may have at home don't do me any good if they stay home for whatever reason.

My 1911 carry...

16061067119_23c481af33_w.jpg

I'm not saying that the J frame is the RIGHT gun to carry. It's the right gun for me to carry.

Last edited:
I love my 442 no lock, 637 and 431PD 32 mag both with locks that bother me not at all. They just drop right in your pocket and nobody knows they are there. I just ordered 400 Winchester 110gr hollow points to load some lighter recoiling rounds for the 38s. I think I watched way too many detective shows growing up and have a great love for the little blasters.

And just 5-6 rounds doesn't bother me at all. You just have to practice and learn to shoot.

I have a S&W M60-7 in .38spcl and like it, well, except for the weight. I carry it during the winter months in a coat with an inside chest pocket. It's too heavy for pants pocket carry, and I just can't seem to get used to IWB carry. During the summer I carry a polymer semi auto and the S&W is in the car. It's surprisingly accurate for something with such a short barrel and less than adequate sights.

Back