• S&W 686+ .357 mag (7 shot) 3" bbl

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • S&W 60 .357 mag (5 shot) 3" bbl

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 31 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My bad. I thought I had been concealed carrying my 4" Service Six and 2-3/4" Security Six for the past decade. I also thought this was a personal opinion poll. I didn't realize there are some opinions that are wrong...sorry!

But we're here to make recommendations, hopefully for a gun more ideal for the application. It's not about you but rather the guns and how they are used.

"It's not about you but rather the guns and how they are used." I take offense at your arrogant implication.

I must have missed where OWB carry precludes square butt revolvers. The Ruger Sixes fall nicely into the middle of the revolvers listed in the poll as framed by the originator of the post. A little larger than the SP101 , a little smaller than the GP100. These "cop guns" are, IMHO, perfect for OWB or shoulder holster carry applications. I see nothing wrong with recommending them with the greatest enthusiasm.
My recommendations are just that...recommendations. My opinion has not greater, nor lessor, weight than anyone else's. Just let it be.

Ruger LCR9mm. Just got back from the range shooting it. Love this gun. It is a great feeling when you feel you have done a great job of shooting this small barrel snubbie. Practice for the past two years has really paid off. I was really on my game this am.
Shot about 150 rounds through the LCR22 before the big game with the LCR9.

0OPluvK.jpg

Choices in Order:
S&W 19/66 with 3" Barrel ( 3" has a full length Ejector Rod)
S&W 13/65 with 3" Barrel ( 3" has a full length Ejector Rod)
S&W 10/64/15 with 2" barrel
S&W 315 Night Guard
Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel in 357 magnum
S&W Steel J Frames 38/357 preferably 3" with Pinned on Front Sights.

S&W K Frames are very shootable, and still small enough to conceal carry. They carry 6 rounds.

315 Night Guard is a 38 K Frame Airweight snub. The only air weight I recommend. Comes with a Front Night Sight that will need replaced with a new one.

The SP101 Snub only holds 5 rounds, but is also very shootable. It has a changable front sight so you can go Fiber optic or Night Sight.

Bob R

Just to update - I have been carrying around that 3 inch model 60, and it's not as bad as I thought. Sometimes it pays to think in terms of another holster instead of another gun.

I did get that 3" GP100 anyway, though. Once I held it in person, I could see for myself that the weight difference over my old SP101 isn't as bad as I had feared. I am happy with my decision so far. If the OP is looking for something truly different from the 9mm already in use, a longer barrel of course will provide better .357 performance.

Which would you go for? Why?
Thanks for the input and take care!

I realized this thread is a tad dated but it was still on the front page and it's interesting in the choices you listed. I could not vote on the poll because it was closed, but anyway, of the ones you listed the 'sweet spot' is the the model 60.

For two reasons,
#1 it's under 24 oz
#2 it's a 3" inch barrel.

Lite enough to do your belt carry and the real difference in ballistic starts at 3" for .357 magnum from a snubby size, forget about all the rest until you hit a 6" inch barrel than it changes again, but there is significant change from say a 1.8 up to that 3". And still small enough to get it out if you are well in health and experience. Not to mention you will have a fun gun to shoot at the range so you sort of get the best of both worlds.

Some of those you listed will get mighty old when your pants keep sliding down. Just to go from a 13.5 oz. .38 LCR to a 17.1 .357 LCR I had to add suspenders under my shirt to my belt, no kidding.
And I pocket carry, you going on the belt OWB or IWB you will really feel it.

One of the best guns I ever own and still regret getting rid of was the S&W Governor and it only weight just over 33 oz fulling loaded with two .410 bore shells and 4 250g .45 LC. But I can't do a OWB or IWB so I use to pack it in my back pocket with an un-tucked shirt with even sewed hem so I didn't look like a bum, weird experience as I have always been a tuck and go person myself.

Anyway it carried nice and was not uncomfortable but than I got worried someone would see a bulge and think I had fat wallet and try to jack me, they get the gun I'm dead for sure then.

But how I miss BIG Hoss, I always felt safe when I had it. Each person has to access their daily routine and what they may encounter. Mine is up close and personal, the co-cock I will never even see coming. And a .410 shell to the face will make anyone put their hands to their face no matter how big you are or how jacked up on dope you are, enough time hopefully to roll away from it and try to get away or get lucky and nail a .45 LC to their chest. Even at that close a .410 will still give you a pattern of around 5 inches and it's just human nature to grab your face if something touches it, even just one bb could possibly buy you some time.

And a .45 LC defensive round is 'devastating' !
I only carried the a.c.p. for the quicker reloads. I'm gonna hit you as hard as I can.

Only gun I know of that ticks all the right box's, Carry, House and Range. And believe it or not a nice trigger for a non performance center.
I'll stop now, before I shed a tear for 'ole Hoss.

Belt carry, the 686 would be great if you can handle the weight. A model 19 feels a lot better. This being said I have a 642 for carry, usually IWB or in a pocket. I don't like heavy guns for carry.

You should think more of putting as many of these revolvers in your hands and see which one feels goo to you. If possible get to shot as many as possible and see which ones feel and shots good to you What feels good to me may not feel good to you!!!

Back