Votes: 20 17.2%
  • S&W 60 .357 mag (5 shot) 3" bbl

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 31 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Or a Speed Six.

Probably the best suggestion so far. I had one but didn't realize what I had and sold it many years ago. Just a good, basic no nonsense gun.

If it is belt carry then you can carry a pretty big gun comfortably. Its all about the belt and the holster. It looks like from your selections you are wanting a 357. But if a 38 would work a 2.5" model 10 or even just the Plain Jane 4" model 10 with a tapered barrel. I have a model 65 S&W 357 with 4" barrel that was a police turn in that would also work. And its in 357 mag.

I spent some time last winter checking my buds cows and running fences and wore a 4" GP-100 while doing so. I had a good belt on and never noticed the gun on my hip. I expected to be tired of it but it never bothered me at all.

For outside the waistband, I'd go for the GP-100 or 686 with a 4-5" barrel. Since in your poll, you listed the GP-100 with that length, there went my vote. If you want a slightly lighter option, the SP-101 would get my vote.

I'd prefer the .357 myself just because ammo is probably more readily available on the shelf anywhere.

If you were to change to IWB, I'd vote differently, of course.

Have to imput IMO. I would vote for a 327 pd if owb is the carry method.not a 357 but reduced loads can be used.

I avoided the "Other" because I thought the S&W Model 60 a pretty good choice, although small .357s are reloader's guns in my opinion, else they are 38 Specials pretending to be manly magnums. That gun is way lighter than other choices, or the SP101 options have barrels longer than I would pick. I have a 4" SP101 in 327, but wouldn't carry 327 Federal without reloading subsonic ammo. I choose not to use 32 H&R but some might choose that option too.

My 3 inch SP101 is a half pound lighter than my 3" GP100, each loaded. The GP puts me in the area of needing suspenders, and the SW686 would be about the same.

With the exception of the J-frame, those are all pretty big revolvers... heavy and bulky. You didn't specify if you were going to carry It concealed, because that's a factor.

I picked the J-frame because it was a better choice than the 686, and I don't buy Ruger revolvers anymore.

My perspective... I carried a 3" .38 J-frame for a while, it was a reasonable pistol but found I could not shoot it well in draw-and-fire situations. I also had a 4" 686, it was a fine revolver but putting grips on it to control the recoil of .357Mag cartridges made it outwardly bulky and I couldn't hide it.

Howdy:

I chose "Other."

All those options seemed a bit off to me. I will add some and tell you why.

S&W K-frame 2" .38spl Round Butt
Ejector rod just fine for .38spl, thanks. Can be loaded with 148gr HBWC for super-low recoil that still gets enough penetration and crush cavity vs humans. Or hot +P Buffalo Bore/Underwood 158gr LSWC at 1000fps. Can also run BB/Underwood 158gr LSWC "woods" loads that ought to make 1000fps+ in a 2" bbl. Packs simply in a bitty yaqi/slide holster underneath an untucked polo shirt.

S&W 686 2.5" BBL
Not a fan of the 7-shot 686+. I prefer MOAR STEEL in my .357mag cylinders in case I want to shoot some crazy hunting load or whatnot. These make good carry revos and good woods / critter defense revos. Hardcast 158gr+ at 1000fps+ penetrates like crazy vs critters without .44mag recoil . And relatively cheap/oldtech Rem Express .357mag 158gr SJHP performs like all the high tech wunderbullets wish they could vs 2-legged varmints. Again, minimalist holster needed.

Of course, a K-frame .357mag would split the difference between my two options and be a fine choice.

Whatever you do, make sure you select a quality holst/belt/ammo carrier rig.

I'm actually in a similar boat.

I have a 3" S&W Model 60, and while I like it fine the adjustable rear sight and ramp front sight are rather uncomfortable for IWB the way I carry. Also will not be fun to shoot with .357 loads (haven't tried it yet). The 3" SP101 in .357 I just gifted was much better on these fronts.

I have been taking a serious look at the 3" GP100 guns. Some of the distributor exclusives with the Novak sights are especially attractive. Just not sure if I want to carry that much weight around. On a related note, for the weight reasons the L-frame Smiths are probably out.

For OWB, none of this will matter nearly as much for the OP. Just about anything will work. I would say to determine how much weight you are willing to realistically deal with and go from there. When all is said and done, I may just buy another SP101 (2.25" or 3"). I have other full sized .357 guns that will work fine for the woods. Choosing a truly comfortable carry .357 is a bit harder.

SP101 .327 Federal 3" (6 shot) which was just reintroduced late last year:

34_B7_A721_CCD2_47_E3_A30_F_84_E4_E44072_F5.jpg

Okay, these are all fantastic opinions, and I appreciate all of them! But let me thin the herd by being even more descriptive:
These are all guns that could stop an attacker, for sure. But I'm looking for a FUN revolver for the range, that could double as something to carry OWB from time to time for creatures that walk on two or four legs (with my good gun belt).
I currently have a single stack 9, and a double stack 9 for bumps in the day/night, but I'm looking for something for ventures elsewhere that can be carried OWB, stop a human threat, take fishing/camping for outdoor use, or plink/have fun with at the range.
I can do all of that with 9, but don't want something that replicates 9 performance in a given barrel length, either.
Is there a carry-friendly revolver that closely meets this criteria? I'm not shy about barrel length until it's longer than 4.5" (for the sake of maximizing ballistic potential)..

Last edited:
If attracted to the idea of 7 shots and only occasional carry, good at the range, then it's really just Smith versus Ruger. You'll have more and maybe better, even cheaper, choices if sticking to 6 shots.

I like Smith's Model 60 with a 3" tube...I'm carrying one right now in point of fact...for beating about the farm here, it's generally loaded with Skelton's old load (158 gr LSWC GC'd and 2400 powder) at 1050 fps. This is an authoritative load for outdoor use that I've used to put down two wounded deer, one horse, and a variety of barn raiding possums and raccoons.

I carry it in an OWB of my own make...basically a Tom Threepersons open top with the cylinder's rear rim about even with the top of my belt making it easy to conceal with all but a swim suit on. The gun's light, easy to control even with the Skelton load, but still carries plenty of punch. And...the adjustable sights allow me to zero for the rounds I'm actually using. While some decry adj. sights on a defensive gun, I find them easy to use, and have never had a hang up during presentation...

For trips to town, I load up with Remington or Federal factory .38 Spl +P 125 gr JHP's as I prefer factory loads for true CC/defensive use. For my neck of the woods, and social situation, it's about perfect for CC carry plus a little more.

HTH's, Rod

Yep, give the revised rqts, S&W L-frame 686 with a 4" bbl is what the doctor ordered.

If I could own only one handgun, that would be it.

Based on the new information and your selected options, the 4" GP 100 gets my vote. I have the 6 shot version and it is a fine gun for your purposes. I haven't shot or handled the 7 shot version. I have used the 686+ and it takes a little getting used to compared to the 6 shot.

I think a 4" .357 revolver is a great choice, and S&W or Ruger would certainly be my choice. Mild .38s for plinking or target shooting or full bore .357 for anything most of us will ever encounter in the woods. Enjoy!

Is there a carry-friendly revolver

I weighed my 4" 686-6 empty and it was nearly a pound heavier than my empty 3" SP101. "Occasional" carry indeed, because I think the typical person would find the 4" 686 quite a load.

Last edited:
Back