• S&W 686+ .357 mag (7 shot) 3" bbl

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • S&W 60 .357 mag (5 shot) 3" bbl

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 31 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All of those would be OWB carry but even my compact guns like the Kahr 45 are OWB for me! LOL

I only own a couple full-sized revolvers and the only one I would consider for carry would be the (not-yet-received) S&W 66.

Well it's said that placement is everything. I mostly carry a Taurus M85 Ultralite. .38 +P. I've (with witnesses) been able to put 3 rounds in the same hole at 7 yards. It's so light that you can forget you are carrying. Accompanied with a couple of speed strips (My paranoia), i feel that I'm good to go for most situations.

Not a fan of the 7-shot 686+. I prefer MOAR STEEL in my .357mag cylinders in case I want to shoot some crazy hunting load or whatnot.
The 7 shot cylinder is actually stronger than the 6 shot because of the location of where the notches are cut. Seems unlikely, but it's true.

BTW, I've carried the 3" 686 and while it is heavy, it conceals well in a pancake and is comfortable with a good gun belt.

Pick a powerful, dependable weapon that fits your hand and body frame pertaining to your ability to conceal it. In cold weather, clothes and a sturdy belt / holster combo can hide ALLOT of Iron. I often wear a S&W 29-10 4" .44 Mag in an Azula leather OWB holster, high and tight @ 3:30, under a fleece pullover / vest or shirt combo and its virtually unoticible. In fact, for such a big N frame Magnum, I often forget I'm carrying it. Decide what you want to carry and just chose your carry belt / holster and clothes to fit the gun. Forget about the weight, one gets used to it after awhile. I read something once, I think it was Ayoob, that stated (and I'm paraphrasing from memory), "the weapon isn't supposed to be comfortable, but comforting". Makes sense! A .25 ACP Beretta pistol may be quite comfortable in the pocket, but no where near as COMFORTING as a Colt 1911A1 .45 ACP in a paddle holster in today's society.

Last edited:
Kimber K6S. Solid, six shot, everything you want, including great
sights, nothing you don't.

You have a very nice list of pistols there, with the right holster,
any of them would do nicely.

For carry I prefer 2", 2.5", or maybe 3". I also prefer hammerless or a shrouded hammer. 32 magnum, 38sp, and 357 are all good. I find 4"+ barrels annoying to carry, and for SD I don't feel that longer distances are at all likely.

For OWB carry I'd opt for a Security/Speed Six or Model 19/66 with a barrel length between 3-4".

I think the GP and 686 is just a tad much for carry, and the little 5 shots are better for pocket and IWB carry. For regular carry on a belt and range duty, I think it's hard to beat a k-framed size revolver.

It's not on your list, but the 3" SP101 .357 would work. I carry mine IWB and OWB. I'm not all that crazy about the 4" SP101, but I do like the 4" GP100. S&W also has the 586 in 4". You have a lot to choose from.

It's not on your list, but the 3" SP101 .357 would work. I carry mine IWB and OWB. I'm not all that crazy about the 4" SP101, but I do like the 4" GP100. S&W also has the 586 in 4". You have a lot to choose from.

The 4" SP101 seems like an answer to a question nobody asked.

For OWB carry I'd opt for a Security/Speed Six or Model 19/66 with a barrel length between 3-4".

Both of those guns have grips that poke out, never meant for concealed carry, so the very packable SP101 is the answer to the question, while the 4" barrel is at the same time quite concealable and better able to let the 327 Federal cartridge perform nearer its potential. It deserves a place on the option list. I own all three guns mentioned here, and would pick the 4" SP101 over the others. The Security Six needed a $140 Herrett's grip, and the model 19 is carrying a bobbed Eagle (that has the "poke" part cut off and rounded). Only the SP101 is able to shoot full power ammo without regrets.

Both of those guns have grips that poke out, never meant for concealed carry, so the very packable SP101 is the answer to the question, while the 4" barrel is at the same time quite concealable and better able to let the 327 Federal cartridge perform nearer its potential. It deserves a place on the option list. I own all three guns mentioned here, and would pick the 4" SP101 over the others. The Security Six needed a $140 Herrett's grip, and the model 19 is carrying a bobbed Eagle (that has the "poke" part cut off and rounded). Only the SP101 is able to shoot full power ammo without regrets.

1911's have grips that poke out and wasn't really meant for concealed carry, but plenty of people do so every day.

I've got an SP101 and 2 k frames as well (2.25", 4", and 6" respectively). My 6" 19 is a round butt and I don't think I'd have a problem concealing it with a much shorter barrel. There isn't a whole lot of dimensional difference between a k-frame and an SP101, if you want to lug around a 4" barrel you might as well get that extra round in the cylinder.

Not sure what you mean about full power loads. I certainly regret full power loads less out of the k frames compared to my SP! Follow-up shots are MUCH faster and more accurate as well. And I've never heard any issues with the Security Six's having problems like the S&W's do with the forcing cones (which is supposedly just with light 125gr bullets).

1911's have grips that poke out and wasn't really meant for concealed carry, but plenty of people do so every day.

I don't believe we have a way to know that "plenty of people" carry full size 1911 grips concealed. The difference though is in the amount of cant in the holster, pointing the grip progressively upward.

There isn't a whole lot of dimensional difference between a k-frame and an SP101, if you want to lug around a 4" barrel you might as well get that extra round in the cylinder.

The SP101 grip is much more concealable, and I would give the gun the nod on less weight. If it's going to be 357 Magnum though, the SP and its grip are going to be more demanding for some lighter load.

Ruger Speed, Security or Service Six in .357.

Only the Speed Six was designed for concealment with its round butt grip. They are cop guns. Even with custom grips, the Security and Police Service Sixes are marginal for concealment.

My bad. I thought I had been concealed carrying my 4" Service Six and 2-3/4" Security Six for the past decade. I also thought this was a personal opinion poll. I didn't realize there are some opinions that are wrong...sorry!

Last edited:
Back