Which handgun would you like but probably never own?

I would want the 1906 .45ACP DWM Test Luger Serial Number 1. The biggest reason for me, is because nobody knows where it's at. And the last I heard, #2 was insured for $1 Million USD. I'm not a huge Luger fan, but I would dearly love to compare it side by side to a similar time-frame 9mm or .30 Luger. Late 1800's and early 1900's machine work has always fascinated me.

Earlier I posted about a .44 Mag Desert Eagle,,,

Earlier I posted about a .44 Mag Desert Eagle,,,
It's a gun I love to shoot occasionally,,,
But have no desire to own.

Another "nice to shoot but not own" for me is,,,
A S&W Model 29 or 629 in .44 Magnum.

Now the funny part is I do own a 6" model 629 no dash,,,
And I do occasionally enjoy burning a box of rounds,,,
But I never would have purchased one for myself.

The one I own was a gift from a good friend,,,
She inherited her Father's arsenal,,,
And gifted the 629 to me.

Jezebel (the gun) is a revolver I just don't have a legitimate use for,,,
So I have relegated her to the status of beloved range toy.

Aarond

I will probably never own a Glock handgun or Harley Davidson motorcycle. I am reluctant to get anything the crowd insists on. I have many other gun brands and have had about every brand of motorcycle other than Harley.
I thought I was the only person who felt that way. :) That's why I've never cared for Glocks, Ruger revolvers, or Smith and Wesson 5/686's.

What I'll probably never own? Probably a Broomhandle Mauser. Or a Korth.

Just thought of another one. A Fred Schmidt "short cylinder", 38 wadcutter only PPC revolver. I'd want that because Mr Schmidt, the gunsmith who created them was from my hometown. I doubt I'll ever even see one.

Last edited:
This seems like a terrible reason to NOT buy something. If "the crowd" likes or endorses a particular product, there is a reason, and it is almost never because that product sucks. Personally, I could not care less about how many other people have a certain product, or do not have it. I base my choices on a product's merits. As a general rule, crowd popularity, although by itself not the deciding factor, is a great starting point. Harley Davidsons and Glocks are both superb products at the top of their respective games. To rule out owning either one because "everybody already has one" would be your own loss.

Probably a Colt Python. I first saw a picture of a Python in a book about guns in our Jr. High library ( yes, it was a long time ago). It was love or lust at first sight. I vowed I would get a Python as soon as I could legally buy one. When I came of age i went to buy one and finally held the long lusted for Python for the first time. I hated the way it felt in my hands! The S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, on the other hand, fit me like a glove.

I ended up with an 4” M19 that I still have to this day. I revisited getting a Python in the years after that first meeting but I just don’t like how it feels in my hand. It’s a tragedy that I love the Python’s looks but hate how it feels.

Of course there are any number of ridiculously expensive and historical pieces, but more to the point...

The Sig P22X may qualify, for me. I'd really like a nice West German P228, or something similar. I lusted after such things in my earliest shooting days (teen years), but it was way too expensive.

Fairly quickly after those years, I came to the school of thought that a DA/SA transition was... a lot less than ideal. Traded off my DA/SA pistols. It's not a deal-breaker if a DA/SA gun has a manual safety, so you can work in SA exclusively. But if it's a DA/SA-decocker, like the P22X, you're kinda stuck with a DA/SA transition in your first two shots.

So, while I could afford one now, and I still really like them for their design and build quality, and the nostalgia... it's just hard to imagine one making its way to the top of my "buy list" priority. There are a lot of fine pistols out there.

Schwarzlose Model 1898: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzlose_Model_1898

Short recoil, rotating bolt autoloader. Though the cartridges it was chambered for were wimpy by modern standards, it's a close relative of the 1971 AMT Automag.

There were supposedly only 500-ish made, and some largeish percentage of them wound up in Russia and South Africa, unlikely to reappear on the open market if they still exist.

Ian McCollum, of course, has a review and range test of one:
https://youtu.be/rYl0dQAJMh4

Short recoil, rotating bolt autoloader. Though the cartridges it was chambered for were wimpy by modern standards, it's a close relative of the 1971 AMT Automag.

Sorry but it's not a close relative of the "1971 AMT Automag".

Because there is no such creature.

The gun you are probably thinking of, which does have a multiple lug bolt and a short recoil action is the .44 Auto Mag (note, 2 words, not one).

In 1971, the Auto Mag was produced by the Auto Mag Corporation, not AMT, which is Arcadia Machine & Tool.

Beginning in 1987, and going through the 1990s, AMT produced their "Automag" pistols (note, one word), the Automag II is a delayed blowback .22WMR. The Automag III, IV, & V are variants of the Browning tilt barren lock up. None of the AMT Automags are multiple lug rotating bolt pistols.

I would not say the Schwarzlose is a close relative of the Auto Mag. Since both do have multiple lug rotating bolts and recoil operation, distant cousin, perhaps, but not close relative.

Not even close, really, more like Homo Erectus and Homo Sapiens (modern man). They are distantly related, but it takes a lot more than just being a primate and walking on two legs to be closely related.

I kinda like shooting a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum,,,
But I would never spend the money to buy one.

All it would ever be is a very expensive range toy.

Fortunately I have a friend who owns one,,,
He let's me shoot all the ammo through it that I want to buy.

Aarond

I’ve never shot one of any caliber but I’ve had an interest in one for quite some time. If I ever did say I was gonna get one, I’m not even sure which one I’d get it in. .357 and .44 mag are a lot more common but dang... I bet that .50AE is a blast too shoot. Lol. Or it may not be, I dunno.

But if I did get one, it would be for the same reason why I already bought my Sig P220 Elite 10 mm, which was for woods carry against four-legged predators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&W 500 Magnum. Costly to shoot, even with reloads.

I’ve had some interest in something like that but kinda like with the Deagle, I’d have to shoot it first before I ever figured I’d need one.

I think that little 5 inch barrel one is a pretty slick pistol but in order to make the recoil a little bit more manageable, I think at least a 10 inch barrel one is what I would have to go with and I don’t think that one looks as good as the 5 inch barrel.

I’ve had some interest in something like that but kinda like with the Deagle, I’d have to shoot it first before I ever figured I’d need one.

In my world there's a difference between need and want, and there's also no "Deagles", or "shottys", and "wheelies" are somethin one can sometimes do with a really hot car or motorcycle...

I got my first .357 Desert Eagle in 84 and the .44 Mag one in 1990. I decided to pass on the .50 when it came out, simply didn't want to tool up for another caliber. ;)

I've been shooting Desert Eagles years before Hollywood discovered them, and "Deagle" is the name of a gun in a video game, that didn't have enough spaces in the name box to write Desert Eagle.

I think if it's a real gun you are talking about call it by its real name. Sorry kids...:rolleyes:

In my world there's a difference between need and want, and there's also no "Deagles", or "shottys", and "wheelies" are somethin one can sometimes do with a really hot car or motorcycle...

I got my first .357 Desert Eagle in 84 and the .44 Mag one in 1990. I decided to pass on the .50 when it came out, simply didn't want to tool up for another caliber. ;)

I've been shooting Desert Eagles years before Hollywood discovered them, and "Deagle" is the name of a gun in a video game, that didn't have enough spaces in the name box to write Desert Eagle.

I think if it's a real gun you are talking about call it by its real name. Sorry kids...:rolleyes:

It’s still known by many as also known as, or aka, the Deagle for short. Sorry, just saying it like it is.

I’d still love to have one but if I did ever get one, it would definitely have to be the 50 action express because only the true “Deagle” is the big caliber one. Or at least so I’ve been told quite a few times. There’s a lot more you can get in either 44 mag or even 357, but really what else is out there that you can get a 50 action express? In a Semi auto? Like a couple? Do they still have the same cool factor as the 50 caliber Desert Eagle?

For me, its a matter of respect.

I found it well expressed in an old "Farside" cartoon...
Two bears, standing over a fallen hunter, one of them holding his rifle...
the other bear is pointing at the rifle, and says...
"Boomstick??!!...THAT is a WINCHESTER .30-06!!!!"

I know a lot of people call it by its "toy gun" name. I don't.

I do call S&W's "Smiths" as a short form. I would NEVER call one "Smitty". :D

For me, its a matter of respect.

I found it well expressed in an old "Farside" cartoon...
Two bears, standing over a fallen hunter, one of them holding his rifle...
the other bear is pointing at the rifle, and says...
"Boomstick??!!...THAT is a WINCHESTER .30-06!!!!"

I know a lot of people call it by its "toy gun" name. I don't.

I do call S&W's "Smiths" as a short form. I would NEVER call one "Smitty". :D

Don’t you mean Thunderstick?
4a8871c887ea9668f2c1ee81060b943c.jpg

Back