Which gun/carry combo when visiting VERY anti-gun family in Asheville

I don't know know. There is probably no such thing as safe.....only the illusion of safety until something happens that shatters the notion of it. But there are places that are relatively dangerous versus places where the probabilities are less likely to produce encounters with characters of I'll intentions. But life is full of risks. Swimming can be rewarding or fatal. It's a fact that you can't bring a gun everywhere. How many of those places can you completely avoid? Should you if you could? What compromises are worth making? Each person must decide for themself. As the deterioration of polite society becomes more prevalent, I could see myself feeling the need to be armed as a regular thing. Right now, I'm not really feeling it. Everyone's situation has its own risks, so what works for one, may not work for another.

It's a fact that you can't bring a gun everywhere. How many of those places can you completely avoid?.

I can't take a gun into the courthouse; I have to go there like once every 4 years to renew drivers license.

Can't legally carry in the post office: Get stamps at Wal-Mart, have packages picked up at home, going into post office doesn't have to happen very often.

Airplane: Last time I was on a plane was around 1986, I have no intention of getting on one again.
Cruise: Same as airplane.

By driving on trips and vacationing in states where my permit is valid, it turns out that I can be armed the vast majority of the time and I am.
Been married since 1990 and I chose wisely because my wife agrees on travel.
How about location (good vs bad place), daylight or not, anticipated threat, ... Nope, Nope, Nope, ... just carry. :)

I don't know know. There is probably no such thing as safe.....only the illusion of safety until something happens that shatters the notion of it. But there are places that are relatively dangerous versus places where the probabilities are less likely to produce encounters with characters of I'll intentions. But life is full of risks. Swimming can be rewarding or fatal. It's a fact that you can't bring a gun everywhere. How many of those places can you completely avoid? Should you if you could? What compromises are worth making? Each person must decide for themself. As the deterioration of polite society becomes more prevalent, I could see myself feeling the need to be armed as a regular thing. Right now, I'm not really feeling it. Everyone's situation has its own risks, so what works for one, may not work for another.
Cabot Cove is the only place I know of that doesn't have burglars, thieves, or drug dealers. of course with the right motivation you could be murdered once a week.

Cabot Cove is the only place I know of that doesn't have burglars, thieves, or drug dealers. of course with the right motivation you could be murdered once a week.

Maine isn't that interesting, trust me. But we've got plenty of drug dealers.

What are you going to do if a situation arises where you genuinely need to pull/use your gun? I mean, that's the whole reason you're carrying it, right? Will your family disown you for saving your (or their) life?

What are you going to do if a situation arises where you genuinely need to pull/use your gun?
1. Play the odds. The odds say that you probably won't need it.

2. Keep your options open. In the (admittedly unlikely) event that the gun is required in the presence of the relatives, having the gun gives the option of responding (and taking the consequences--of which there are always some even if it's not from angry relatives) or not responding and trying to resolve it without weapons.

IMO, having the option is a better situation than not having it. You can always choose not to exercise it.

By the way, while it's not pleasant to consider, the statistics say that we are actually in more danger of being murdered by relatives or acquaintances than by strangers. Just saying...

Airplane: Last time I was on a plane was around 1986, I have no intention of getting on one again.
Cruise: Same as airplane.

By driving on trips and vacationing in states where my permit is valid, it turns out that I can be armed the vast majority of the time and I am.

Seems a shame to avoid about half the states and all of the rest of the countries in the world over something like this

Between my home state and a couple of non-resident permits, I'm good for (IIRC) 32 states. That pretty well covers anywhere I might want to visit, except Washington state. But the friend I would be visiting there is a retired cop, so I'm sure he'll be armed and have plenty of firepower if the balloon goes up.

Where I can't go I have no desire to go: Massachusetts, New York, New Jersy, Maryland, Illinois, California. Too bad about South Carolina, but it wasn't really on my bucket list.

If your relatives house is so dangerous you can't go there unarmed I wouldn't go in the first place. But I bet you can lock your gun in the car for a few hours and go visit and survive the experience.

I rarely ever carry a gun but I always have one near by. I feel perfectly safe. I know there are some people who can't use their own bathroom without carrying a gun on them. Sheesh! Sometimes it seems this gets way overboard. The odds of you being attacked and needing a gun are very, very slim. And thats why I learned some basic martial arts so I don't have to depend on a gun at all times.

ratshooter said:
I rarely ever carry a gun but I always have one near by. I feel perfectly safe. I know there are some people who can't use their own bathroom without carrying a gun on them. Sheesh! Sometimes it seems this gets way overboard. The odds of you being attacked and needing a gun are very, very slim. And thats why I learned some basic martial arts so I don't have to depend on a gun at all times.
Everyone's situation and priorities are different. "Basic martial arts" probably won't help much if you're faced with three or four armed home invaders, or a drug-fueled carjacker, and you're 75 years old with a surgically-repaired heart, a bad back and a bad hip. That's my story -- I don't know Chaim's story ... but, neither do you.

I suggest that members who wish to participate confine their comments to answering Chaim's question, and not waste everyone's time second-guessing his life choices.

I rarely ever carry a gun but I always have one near by. I feel perfectly safe.
I almost always carry a gun. Sometimes it's not legal or not practical and then I don't. I feel perfectly safe either way--not that how I feel has any effect on the reality of the situation.

I don't carry a gun because I would be afraid without one. I carry one for the same reason I have a spare tire and know how to change one--in case the need arises.

I'm not sure why people believe that the only reason to prepare for certain possibilities is out of fear. I suppose that some people do carry merely because they are afraid. But that is not the only motivator.

I'm also not sure why people believe that how they "feel" has any bearing on reality.

Reality does not care how people feel, and how people feel is not a reliable indicator of what reality is.

Dr. Petit, no doubt, felt perfectly safe immediately before he opened the door to the two horrors who nearly killed him, raped his wife and daughters and then burned them alive.

The people on the Titanic certainly felt safe.

One of the most common statements made by victims of crime is some variant of the claim: "I never thought it could happen to me." or "I couldn't believe it was actually happening." Clearly they felt safe right up until the moment that they realized things were going horribly wrong.

A snubnosed revolver or small semiautomatic tucked away in a pocket or IWB holster is no one else's buisness but the individual carrying it. One can even find a method to conceal larger models with the right clothing / holster combination. Out of sight, out of mind.

I almost always carry a gun. Sometimes it's not legal or not practical and then I don't. I feel perfectly safe either way--not that how I feel has any effect on the reality of the situation.

As a fairly new EveryDayC guy(about 19 months)...I took grand daughters to big, city run, water park..no way to 'carry' as you go in like yer gonna go into the water..no lockers and such. PLUS no real way to watch my bag, when I went into water with grand kiddies..safe, not a bad neighborhood but didn't like it..EDC biggest reason is when I'm with grand daughters(6 and 8 YO)...:rolleyes:

Seems a shame to avoid about half the states and all of the rest of the countries in the world over something like this

I left out the part about taking our dogs on trips, boarded them once years ago, will never do that again.

This is my idea of vacation, not crowded, I'm packing, dog is along too. :)
20190531_135643_jpg-964345.JPG

I suggest that members who wish to participate confine their comments to answering Chaim's question, and not waste everyone's time second-guessing his life choices.

OK fair enough. In rereading the OPs post it sounds like he already has most of the answers to his own questions. If he is uncomfortable going unarmed then don't go. If staying in a hotel room with his anti carry brother is a problem then maybe get a connecting room set up and then still be able to keep his gun in his room. And he already has the right idea about just staying away from the topic of guns and carrying a weapon. Sort of like staying away from politics and religion with some folks.

My guns find salt water almost as disagreeable as my cameras and far less so than some of my lefty relatives!

CDW4ME

That looks a lot where I used to take my dogs - dog-friendly beaches in Flagler Beach, Florida (for those who might want to do the same), and Florida is gun-friendly to boot.

Back