Which Calibers/Handguns Are Your Favorites?

My favorite 22 LR is my High Standard HD Military. Somehow it keep's ending up at my son's place. My favorite handgun to fool with is my S&W mod 16 in 32 Long. Then my S&W 38/44. Big heavy gun but really nice gun. I can load my 38 and 32 Long for less than the cost of 22 LR's, so I do. My home defense/CC gun's are both 9mm. They do get jacketed bullet's but mostly cast. I don't practice a lot with jacketed handgun bullet, to expensive! The two are a p 80 Ruger and a S&W shield c. carry the S&W mostly. Holds lot less ammo but carry's a lot nicer.

I tend to like guns chambered in their classic cartridge.
1911s in .45, SAA and N-frames in .44 or .45, K-frames in .38 Special.

Almost all of my shooting is competition, so I try to buy guns that fit neatly into the competitive divisions of the game I'm shooting.
When IDPA changed the size/weight rules for Back-Up Gun, I did my due diligence and bought a SIG P938, which quickly became one of my all-time favorites.

ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel) in 44 mag/spl.

the best carry gun
44spl
250gr penta hp(40:1)
7.5gr of unique or 5.0gr titegroup

the best hunting load
280gr wfn gc
10.0gr of unique

22 lr, 9mm. End of story as far as handguns go.

Though I've owned .380 ACP, .38 special, .357 mag, .45 ACP, and .45 LC, I currently own own only 22 lr and 9mm. I think of these two as small, and medium. If I want a large someday, I'll go with 10 mm or .44 mag instead of any that I've previously owned.

I especially like the 9mm family of Glocks. I've owned a 17, and still EDC a 26.

I like my 9mms to be Glocks

My .45/10mm to be 1911s

And lately I've really come to like my .357 mag best out of a Vaquero.

thru the ages

Age 20-40.......357.

Age 40-57........45 acp, also 10mm and .44 mag to some degree

Age 57-present...9mm

The 9mm is a competion caliber, and I'm inclined to carry a G17 for SD as it seems impervious to sweat and neglect in the hot summers as a carry gun. It also conceals a bit better than the G21 when cover garments are impractical and IWB is the way. When cover garments become practical, a G21 takes over. The 10mm and .44 are hunting calibers, and one day I will take a whitetail with a handgun, yes I will.

Didn't everybody love .357 in the old days?

100% agree on .357

Cuz it would stop a car by fracturing the engine block.

Then we learn.....

My first real revolver, Colt King Cobra. Would like to have it back now.....I would not trade back tho.
I traded that Colt for a Sears model 50 in .270, still the finest rifle I own and it's been way more than a couple years since I made that trade.

Started out with a 9mm. Thought that to be a "beast" the first couple of times at the range. Can't wait to shoot my 22.

Favorites? Cheap to shoot ones.

I may never see anything fun in shooting with a 3-4 pound gun that I couldn't control. As a 45.

Hard Question

9mm has to be right up there but there would be times I would prefer something more powerful. For ranch use in the lower 48, 357 magnum is better choice overall where power and range have an advantage over firepower. In a carbine it's even better at over 1800fps with 158 grain loads and 2000+ with the 125s. The 40 and 45 have their place and I like them just fine but the 9mm is the best all around cartridge for most people due to price, recoil and size of CCW guns you can get that used to be limited to 380s. I've fired 44 mags and 454s and they are too big for general use unless you are in big bear country and having the biggest chunk of lead trumps all. I can see them being favorites in Montana or Alaska! For "duty" use I would prefer 40 over 9mm or 45 due to the balance of penetration and power. 45s are effective man stoppers, but not the do all cartridge by any means. rc

Favorite pistol cartridges: .22lr, .45 ACP, .44 Mag., .45 Colt.
So...favorite pistol calibers are .223, .429, .452.

Last edited:
I carry a Bulldog .44 spl. 2.5",I just picked up a Kahr CM.45 today compact.I'll be carrying it too.:D

Last edited:
Back