Which Calibers/Handguns Are Your Favorites?

The 41 and 44 magnums in the S&W N-frame platform are, for me, about as good as it gets. I've had 4", 6½" and 8⅜" barreled versions, with or without the full underlug, and they all shoot and handle great. My current 6½" Classic is the most accurate revolver I've ever had, shooting a variety of loads into 1¼" 5-shot groups at 25 yds.

z8pIXdx.jpg

Favorite for what purpose?

I love target shooting with my Ruger Target 22. For hunting it is the 44 magnum. For self defense it is the 357 Magnum, 357 Sig and 44 magnum, with honorable mention to the 40 S&W loaded with a 155 JHP @ 1200 fps.

.22 lr is hands down my favorite. Almost zero recoil and low cost are the leading factors.

2nd is a tie between .45 ACP and .357 mag, because, 'Merica

But my practical side takes over and what I end up shooting more than .45 and .357 is 9mm and .38 special, for the same reasons I like .22's (cost and recoil).

As to cartridges I enjoy shooting .45 ACP, 45 Colt, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum/.38 SPL likely in that order. I collect the Series 70 Colt 1911 guns and enjoy the older S&W and Colt revolvers. Then of course the .22 LR in several handguns I own.

I saw quite a bit of mention of the .41 Magnum and if there was ever a cartridge I ever regretted never adopting it was the .41 Magnum. I have enjoyed shooting several but never bought one and at my age I doubt I'll ever add a new caliber to the collection. I know had I ever adopted the cartridge I would have really enjoyed it. I guess it will be the best caliber I never owned. :(

Ron

Onward Allusion, I have an SW40VE. I really like it. It fits good in mah hand, gooder than my other 40cal, Glock 35, but the 35 has a much better trigger even after switching out the springs in the VE.

.45 SIG P220
.40 HK P2000
.357 SIG SIG P239
.357 Magnum specifically Ruger GP100
.357/.38 special Smith 681 Performance Center
9x19mm HK P7M8
.380 don’t like the caliber
.32 Walther PP
.22 Ruger Mark II Government Competition

That covers the big ones.

22lr and wmr out of ruger single six and heritage roughrider. low recoil allows me to practice alot, lightweight/small ammo allows me to carry alot.

38sp wadcutter, accurate and soft, out of a taurus 85 snubbie, which is my longest owned, gone everywhere, never failed, saved my life once handgun.

45lc out of a ruger blackhawk. there is just “something” about the sound of 45lc rounds as you load them into the cylinder and the feeling of standing sideways and shooting a 45lc single action revolver rapid fire, offhand... kind of like comparing a silver to a paper dollar or as obiwan kenobi said, “not as clumsy or random as a blaster, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In recent years 95% of my shooting is with the 22LR. For home defense, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 41 Magnum.

Favorite semi-auto:
A. 9mm...and for me its wilson combat 1911, 5", all steel. Its my primary range gun, some weekly buddy competitions & its my primary carry gun. 9mm less recoil over .45acp since I have developed some arthritis and hand strength problems. Full sized, 5" 1911's are also the guns that fit my hands the best....and the guns I shoot "tactically" the best.

B. Revolvers....I prefer a .357 mag ...favorite is the N frame S&W model 27's in a 4". Its a size, weight and barrel length that does a lot of things well....range, woods, etc.

.380acp because I can have both pocket gun and a compact hi-cap(14 rounds).

.45acp because I can shoot both all steel semi-auto and revolver, it’s also a legal cartridge for deer in my state so that whole sporting purpose thing kicks in.

My most versatile gun is a Blackhawk .45 convertible because I can shoot cheap WW federal aluminum.45acp for practice then switch cylinders for BB 325gr hard cast to thump with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
38 special in S & W M & P (1952 vintage), Combat Masterpiece, Smith Model 36 - snub & 3" and 357 Uberti 4 3/4" Bisley .. . . . .

45 Colt - Uberti Cattleman 7 1/2"

Guess I'm more of a revolver guy

Semi - my 9mm Shield

Back