Which 7 Rifle calibers would you choose

5.56*45mm
6.5*55mm
6.8*43mm
.30-06
8*57mm

Once again, like pogybait and std7mag, you have failed to answer the question asked.

Here it is again, for your convenience:

So, one from each group based purely on bullet diameter, which calibers would you choose. The lists are not all-inclusive by any means. If you want to say why you chose what, feel free.

1. 5-5.99mm

2. 6-6.99mm

3. 7-7.99mm

4. 8-8.99mm

5. 9-9.99mm

6. 10-10.99mm

7. 11-13mm

You listed one from the 1st category, four from the 2nd, one from the 3rd, one from the 4th, and zero from the 5th, 6th, and 7th categories. :)

Last edited:
7 calibers:

22LR. . . .for plinking and basic rifle training. . .I would like a bolt action, heavy barrel, single shot gun with a big scope for short range accuracy practice.

5.56 x 45 - For an AR. . .HD, SD, fun. . .

6mm PPC - For what else. . .BR

243 Win AI - Long range tactical/hunting/varmint rifle

257 Roberts - A reasonably sized NA hunting caliber. In a 6-7lb rifle with a 22" barrel and a nice 3-9 scope, this is an ideal hunting round.

300 WSM - Long range tactical/hunting rifle. . .about 15 lbs, great scope, S&B or US Optics, in a laminate stock or maybe better in a custom chassis.

338 Federal - Big game round. In about an 8lb gun with a nice 3-9 scope. . .great for larger NA game. . .could go 338 Win Mag also.

458 Lott - Big bore for big game. Africa. . .That's the dream! No scope, of course. Flip up leaves in the rear, front globe sight.

Dang it! 8. . . .Hmm, I guess I need to cut the. . .not sure.

No offense taken; I'm just letting you know. Some people follow the rules - and some people don't. :D

Nathan, you also failed to answer the question asked, immediately after I re-stated it just 2 posts above yours. But, you were closer to answering it than some others; I'll give you that. :)

Ok what the heck.

.223 Rem in an AR (cause I like my AR)
.25-06 (used to own one, liked its performance)
7-08 (love my little 7-08)
.338 Win Mag (So I could sell it to buy more smaller calibers)
.35 Whelen (coolness factor)
.416 Rigby (So I could sell it to buy more smaller stuff)
.45-70 in a Marlin 1895 Cowboy, reason. Heck Why NOT.

.223 Rem in an AR (cause I like my AR)
.25-06 (used to own one, liked its performance)
7-08 (love my little 7-08)
.338 Win Mag (So I could sell it to buy more smaller calibers)
.35 Whelen (coolness factor)
.416 Rigby (So I could sell it to buy more smaller stuff)
.45-70 in a Marlin 1895 Cowboy, reason. Heck Why NOT.

Thank you! Finally....

1. .22lr
2. 7.62x39
3. 6.8spc
4. .308
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?

FAIL!!! :)

parameters?

Mark.....
answers based on the parameters requested

Your parameters are poorly stated.

You say
one from each group based purely on bullet diameter, which calibers would you choose.

Since "bullet diameter" and "caliber" are the same thing, you have said
"one from each group based purely on bullet diameter which bullet diameter would you choose" or "one from each group based purely on caliber, which caliber would you choose"
Then instead of a list of calibers, you provide a list of cartridges (which is probably what you actually meant) many of which in each group are the same caliber. For instance, in your first group, nine of the thirteen are the same caliber.
If you do not take proper care in your instructions, you should expect a similar lack of care in some responses.
When you are loading a magazine for a firearm, do you pick up a box of calibers and load calibers into the magazine?

Last edited:
yep

Mark: Thanks and yourself also.
I just have a bug about using the word "caliber" when cartridge is what is meant.

Dremel - not a stretch at all - the entire instruction is, based on bullet diameter only, pick one caliber from each group"
Now, tell me...is this a list of calibers? Or is it a list of cartridges?
8x50 Mannlicher
.325 WSM
8x57 Mauser
8x63 Swede
8mm Remington Magnum
.33 Winchester
.338 Federal
.338-06 A-Square
.338 Marlin
.338 Winchester Magnum
.338 Lapua Magnum
.338 Norma Magnum
.338 RUM
.340 Weatherby Magnum

Last edited:
I actually have exactly 7 different cartridges of long guns in my safe and although they don't fall into the categories of the OP, they are:

1. .22lr
2. 5.56x45
3. .243 AI
4. 7.62x51
5. .264WM
6. .300WM
7. .50-110

darkgael, it's a list of chamberings, within the range of calibers, from which to pick one - just exactly as the OP clearly said. In my opinion. People just aren't reading - they're posting without reading - and now trying to say it was unclear.

Last edited:
well....maybe...not

Well..... folk are not doing exactly what you would like them to do.... it is an interesting thread in any case. Y'know....I just went back and looked.... if the instruction was to pick one caliber... "one from each group..... which calibers would you choose" .... (not which chambering), of the 77 responses, there are only three (23, 32. 39) wherein the writers chose "calibers".
Probably have too much time on my hands. Well..gotta do some reloading. Match coming up. Gonna need a couple hundred calibers to practice with and more for the match.
Pete:D

Last edited:
223 wylde
243 win
300 weatherby mag
8 mauser
9 nato
44 mag
45 70.

but those lists kindof suck. if I was allowed any 7 from the entire list then I would cut 44 mag and 8 mauser and add 45ACP and 6.5 grendel... I would probably also cut 45-70 for 30-06 but either one is kindof a wash.

Last edited:
Back