What's your fave mini 9mm?

It seems that the 9mm mini pistol is totally hot right now. Karh, Keltec, Springfield, S&W, and everybody is making these things.

Have you got a favorite? I don't own one of these little 9's, but I just read reviews on Keltec's PF-9, and Karh's CM9; and uh, "I'm not too thrilled."

Want to change my mind, or point me in a good direction?

What is your choice for most comfortable carry and shoot in the mini 9?

Only have one "mini" 9, a S&W Shield, and love it to death. Wife uses it has her off duty gun. I did own a Kel Tec P11, as well as a P3AT, both were less then useful. Sold both with full disclosure as I didn't think I should pay shipping to fix firearms that needed work out of the box.
Anyway, the Shield has proven to be 100% reliable out of the box with either fmj or hp rounds of various manufacture. It has even devoured Tula steel cased 115 fmj without a hiccup, and at 7yds, is extremely accurate.

If money is no object then then the Sig P938 is the top of the line.

Even at 16oz it shoots like a full size gun.

P938BGrangenet.jpg

P938sizemovie.gif

I own two. A SA EMP and a Beretta Nano.
The EMP is my favorite but I carry the Beretta.
Used to own a Kahr PM9. Wished I still owned it. Going to replace it with a Kahr MK9 Elite soon.
I've also owned a couple Kel-Tec P11's, wouldn't buy another.

Oh, I forgot, I also own a Kahr P45. It's small but closer to a midsize.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the Glock 26 qualifies as a "mini" being over an inch wide, but I like it because this...

Attachments

• 20130727_205334.jpg
    20130727_205334.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 314
Kahr K9

Any smaller and they're hard to handle. Get much thicker, the same.

Go too light and they're hard to shoot, especially one-handed/off-handed (although it makes carrying easier).

Not sure what the requirements for mini" is. Also, I'm sure everyone's idea of what small is would differ. That said, I was in a shop 2 weeks ago and the had a couple of CZ 2075 BD's in stock. I handled it for a bit and was very tempted to buy it. Small, all metal, da/sa, decocker, night sights, holds 10 rounds and was just big enough for my pinky to fit almost all the way on the grip. Ended up buying a SP101 instead that day.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-2075-rami-bd/

I may have to go back to that when funds are available.

My Kahr PM9 is my carry gun. It has been 100% reliable with everything I've fired thru it. The double action trigger is surprisingly smooth and easy to shoot accurately with. I've shot groups as small as 2" at 20 yards off a sandbag rest with it.

Jim

Another vote for either the SIG P290RS or the Kahr CM9. Kahr is a tad smaller/flatter/lighter but a bit more finicky right out of the box (although mine has been 100% after following the suggested pre-shoot prep/lube routine).
However, if push comes to shove I trust the SIG more than the Kahr (YMMV).
Tomac

I have a Keltec PF9 and it is light and reliable, just as good as one costing twice as much. The warranty is lifetime, what more could you ask for.

The only mini-9 I have is a KAHR CM9. A bit smaller than a LC9, striker fired DAO, and very concealable. Although not quite as so as the LCP. In some pockets it is as un noticed as the tiny Ruger. But in many cases I carry it in a Theis Hybrid IWB holster, and never know it's there so to speak. Mine has been flawless through several hundred rounds of various ammo. Shoots as accurately as I can for sure.
One small complaint is the factory bar & dot sight. I made a simple fix with some white sight paint filling in the little sideways "V" notches on each side of the bar on the rear sight. the front dot finds itself very naturally to the center of the rear sight now.

I generally prefer compacts, such as the CZ P01.

However, on those occasions where a subcompact is the better option, I carry a Walther PPS 9mm.

It shoots like a full-size, and an accurate full-size at that.

My EDC is a Glock 26, but if I was in the market for something smaller I would look hard at the Sig P938. My wife has a P238 and it is a gem.

Back