What's the most challenging species you've ever hunted?

Well there is a couple of ways to look at this. A trophy buck hunt is very challenging, takes a lot of patience and perseverance to out smart a trophy buck, he didn't get old and big being dumb. Also challenging, a animal that will hunt you as well, like a german boar hunt, its amazing how a big boar is not afraid of nothing, they are like tanks in the field. I got mock charge a year ago on a german boar hunt, after downing a good german boar, his buddy snarled and charged with in twenty yards stopped near a tree and tore it up while still snorting at me, he notice my scope Marlin 450 guidegun was pointing at him and he decided to get out of dodge, good thing I could not afford another Hog LOL. Really got my heart going;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
030022.jpg

Last edited:
The neighbors cat ...
It likes to sleep and sharpen its claws on the wife's car...
I can only take a shot when its owners are gone or in bed. :D
It's wicked FAST and seems to be able to wake up, run and dodge at the sound of the shot. :eek:
Information for the cat lovers out there : I'm using a paintball gun.

Speaking of cats, there use to be a big cat in the neighborhood would get up on my ride and claw my seat, man did that get my blood going, I setup waiting for the cat one day with a pelletgun using plastic pellets, He showed up to jump on my bike, I nailed him right in the a*s, now he see's me and runs, no more claws in my leather seat;) LOLAim small hit small. RAMbo.

Following on from Art and H&H's comments early in the thread about challenging environment combined with elusive and wiley prey I would submit that Himalyan thar and to a lesser extent chamois in New Zealand's Southern Alps would have to be very strong contenders.

The habitat itself is challenging .... scree slopes, glacial cut valleys, alpine tops, snow, ice, sheer drops, wild spaniard (a wickedly sharp and seemingly very common plant that lays hidden in wait ready to stab poor unsuspecting hunters that are only sitting down to catch their breath from a particularly steep climb), rapidly changeable weather, etc. The quarry are rather wiley and elusive too. They've been hunted from helicopters and on foot for many years and the ones that are left are the cunning ones (or the descendants of the cunning ones). They can spot hunters way down in the valleys and tend to high-tail it outa dodge with alarming speed considering the sheers drops and minimal footholds. Scenic flights and passing aircraft can totally destroy an otherwise perfect stalk to within vaguely shootable ranges.

Your rifle must be laser flat in trajectory and superbly accurate to allow you a reasonable chance of shooting one of these sneaky beasts but ideally should weigh about the same as a packet of instant noodles because you will have to lug it (and a pile of assorted gear to cope with the rapidly changing weather) up a seemingly impossibly steep and never-ending slope, through very tough and deliberately awkwardly sized montane vegetation (see comments about spaniard above) in time to see the last animal in the group disappear over a ridge with a disdainful wave of its tail.

Thar are truly magnificant animals that can move at impossibly rapid speeds around incredibly treacherous terrain. I have the greatest respect for anyone who has hunted and bagged a true trophy thar in New Zealand, particularly in the last 10 years following various Government sponsored eradication attempts. No matter how fit you are, you'll rapidly find you ain't fit enough to hunt thar without significant effort. You will never have any trouble sleeping after a NZ thar or chamois hunt.

animal:
The neighbors cat ...
It likes to sleep and sharpen its claws on the wife's car...

Never could get a shot a the one that messed up the new paint job in the middle of the hood of wife's car, but found solution in the form of a mouse trap tied to rear view mirror with about 8' of parachute chord.

Found the trap at end of rope several days in a row before el gato found a better place to sharpen his claws. :D

Regards,
hps

hps1 , I might just try something like that ... I'll have to make sure neighbors don't notice me setting a trap for their precious feline.
I've got to do something soon. Wifey's car is going to get a new paint job in about a month and my baby (a '53 Austin Healey) is coming home from the shop about the same time. I've already tried wiring an acel super coil to the frame but it doesn't work ... The thing always jumps up on the car. He never touches the car and ground at the same time. :( ... unlike (forgetful) me .

Cayenne Kitty - lol - add a little butter, saute, throw in some veggies and potatoes, and voila - you've got yourself a fine meal. So many cats, so few recipes....Just kidding - I like cats and wouldn't kill one myself. I could however see shooting one with a paintball to teach it a lesson. :)

Now that we've discussed the hardest species, what's the easiest? What species/style would you advise to gain confidence in a newbie and get someone addicted to hunting?

I'll have to make sure neighbors don't notice me setting a trap for their precious feline.

Animal:
That is precisely the reason for the parachute chord!

Humorous sidebar, a few weeks later, the neighbor's four year old son came over carrying the cat (which was nearly as big as he was) and rang our doorbell. My wife answered the door and the cat panicked; unable to restrain the cat, the youngster said, "gee, missus ------, I don't know what's wrong with this cat, he usually doesn't act this way." :)

Regards,
hps

The Flies in the backyard, it's hard to hit a fly with a .45, or the roaches in the attic, the SO gets mad everytime a put a hole in the roof. :D

For common game animals in the lower 48, I would
have to say a wily ol blacktail buck. here in Wa, its
so thick they often will just walk into a thicket and
a hunter can be 10 feet from them and never know
they're there. I know this from experience, and how
i missed out on a chance on a nice 5x5. My buddy
looking down on me from a logging road seen the whole
thing from about 250 yards away with his binoculars.
the beast heard me coming walked into a small thicket,
and just stood there as I came up on him, I knew a deer
was somewhere around i caught a glimpse of a body, as
I was walking up the small incline. I had no clue he
was there, my friend said I was standing right next to him for about 10 minuites, I went forward, after I was
about 30 yards away, the deer came out and started to
follow me. then went down his excape route. Gotta
love them blacktails!! Of course if you jump one, they usually run about 15-20 yards and then stop to see what
jumped them........go figure.

Back