What's the most challenging species you've ever hunted?

H&H Hunter-

I think that you've definately hit upon something. Within the next year or so, I should be able to begin acquring gear and such. (Gotta get established at a real job-type job!)

Art-

I've done some hiking in a semi-wooded area that's secluded but not too far from civilization. About the wildest thing I ever saw was a possum while on a night hike.
Seems that what I'd need to do is find that sittin' spot to just hang out in. The second big thing would be overcoming the whole short-attention span thing. The curse of being gen-x, I suppose. :)

b g, some of that country isn't just barren looking, it's by-golly barren as in bare! However, most of it has enough brush that to see a deer, he'd have to stand on his hind legs and wave.

:D, Art

Attachments

• vie from hunt camp.jpg
    vie from hunt camp.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 86
Looks like Lincoln Nation Forest in Southern New Mexico.

One of my prefered hunting grounds!

Flat shooting calibers are mandatory there.

Started with a .270, went to .300 Win Mag and then to 7MM Remington Magnum. Could do as well 99% of the time with a good 30-06.

;)

I must be doing something right,

Red headed woman.... Got one, .......NEVER AGAIN!
Brown Trout,... Can do, no real problem. At least one a year (2 ft'ers
Elk, ....... My last one was 1400 lbs, one of the guys I work with nailed his 2200 lb bull less than 10 min into the day this year. Ran right to him less than 100 yards from the truck.
Pronghorn,.... Yeah, there tough but not super hard if your a steady shot. (read; not me)

Now them gosh darn chipmunks are giving me fits! I swear they stand there and egg me on.

BTW, yeah we grom 'em big in So Oregon.

2,200 lbs? Elk? On scales in front of witnesses? 'Scuse me, but I've had Hereford bulls that didn't go THAT big. (A couple of Brahmas, as well.)

Sure it wasn't a case of "Mr. Magoo Shot A Buffalo"? Sounds like the city feller who came in from a deer hunt with the claim, "I shot a six-pointer!" Yup. Two up, and four down*. :D

Art

* For the folks in Marin County, that's a cow.

I figured I'd get a "no way" comment on that.

Yup, 2200 lbs on the hoof. He didn't field dress it because he wanted to know the actual live weight as best he could so Bill called me and asked me to come out and pick it up for him (I drive for a loacl towing company part time so I took the flatbed and winched it onto the bed. I weighed the truck on the way into town on the state truck scales then went back after unloading the carcass for processing, a difference of 2230 lbs was noted. Figureing fuel usage I came up with 2200.

I also do livestock transportation seasonally so I'm fairly accustom to estimating the weight of cattle, from a distance I had guessed about 1900. That was the largest one I have ever seen, 1400 to 1600 is about normal range with some over and some under around here. Theres something about this area that makes for big animals, but this one must have been the arnie schwartzanagger of elk.

Ok guys,
a 1400lb bull breaks the world record by several hundred pounds but a 2200 Elk! That's a spell bigger than most Yukon moose and most Cape Buffalo and any quarter horse and most percherons and all toyotas and most wifes.
But I tell you what the next time I need a critter weighed for the books I'm going to use your scale!!:D

The toughest game I have ever hunted has been rabbit! That's because whenever I have gone hunting for rabbit, I never see a rabbit. That would make it very tough!

I see rabbits all the time when I don't have a rifle or shotgun handy.

For me, South Dakota Ringnecks with no dogs and no "blockers" in rows of Corn and Milo. Very humbling experience.

We were young and dumb (I was visiting and had never hunted Pheasant) When I finally hunted with a dog I really felt spoiled ;)

H&H, rather call me a liar check your facts and see what species those "record elk" you refer to are. 1400 for a tule elk is huge but not for a roosevelt, those are known to average 1300-1400, with 40+ lb racks in some cases.

Roosevelts are the largest of the 6 sub-species, tule are the smallest. We actually have both around here.

Art, regs are pretty simple. Everything is controlled, limited # of tags obviously. .24 cal or larger centerfire firearm during general firearm season. Tags come in bull, spike only and either sex varities(sp?). Officially the area has Rocky MT and Cascade species with Roosevelt and Tule known to be around also. (Note: Cascade isn't one of the 6 known sub-species to my knowledge)

Most of the people I know, myself included, are getting tags in Klamath, Sprague, Keno, Silverlake, Interstate and occasionally Rogue units. That area is the south centeral part of Oregon, from about Crater Lake NP south the the OR/CA border and from the higher elevations of the cascade mountain range east into the high desert.

Success rates have been in the 10%-15% range, which is at, to slightly above, the state average.

Here's a link to the online regs incase you want to investigate.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/Regulations/orh02.pdf

Thanx. Wuz at Crater Lake, a number of years back; drove down from Portland, and then SW through Rogue River and on to California's coast highway...

Art

Mike86,
Now simer down no ones calling you a liar. I said you need to have your scales calibrated. Here are some facts, I assumed you had to be talking of the Rosevelt, even so. The American book of Mamology lists the average weight of a bull elk at around 700-800lbs. the largest recorded weight of any live elk is slightly over 1200LBS lets assume that that must have been a roosevelt. And I'll give you the extra 200 lbs for a total freak. That Elk would have been an absolute giant larger than most 16 hand horses.

Now lets look at some other facts the largest recorded modern bull elk ever shot was a 449.1/4 point bull taken in ND his estimated live weight was 1100-1200 lbs that is the current modern standing world record. For any species of Elk.
The largest recorded and established dressed weight for an elk was weighed in 1995 in Michigan The elk was killed during the Mi sept season By Mr. Steven Wittenbach and that ELK weighed 830Lbs field dressed so we can safely say he may have weighed 1100 lbs on the hoof.
I have hunted and killed roosevelt elk in Wa and they are bigger in body than a rocky mountain elk, however they are not all that much bigger.
Now as far as the 2200 lb elk I do not doubt that somehow this value was derived but it had to be some type of equipment failure, miscalibration or some other weight was added to the truck with out the participants knowledge. If in fact this animal did weigh 2200lbs he was a complete freak of nature, he should have been offically scored, there are a bunch of cow elk in your area with broken backs and I'm getting a bigger gun. ;)

Last edited:
H&H, nothing good is going to come from this exchange. Your going to keep quoting book knowledge and B&C points and I'm going to continue with the facts I've gained from being there. B&C points have little to do with weight, only rack size, and your info is out dated. Currently the point record is 496.x points.

BTW, you'll need to ask the state if you can use the scales, they own them and certify them yearly. If you reread my post you'll notice I used the state truck scales, the weighmaster was the one who tagged it for Bill.

Now I don't know if Bill submitted it or not, I could care less. All I'm saying is we exceptionally large elk around here. With good genetics and a few mild winters in a row it's not impossible to have extremely large animals

Now that I've refuted your claims that I'm wrong or simply mistaken I'll make it a point not to check this thread any more.
Thank you for making a new guy feel welcomed.

Back