What's the most challenging species you've ever hunted?

Now, Sensop. You know danged well that the greatest challenge in hunting is to discover the wily federal bureaucrat who will assume responsibility for the consequences of his decisions--and be held accountable.

Getting back to halfway serious, I've long been amazed at how quickly a coyote learns from the misfortunes of his buddies. You call; several come to the sound of that poor, dying rabbit. You shoot one. Well, forget about the rest of them ever coming back to that sound.

Art

Hunting with a high power.

I would also have to go with Crow and Yoties.

I've never hunted Pronghorn Antelope, but i read and talked to those who say they are very difficult to stalk & hunt.

12-34hom.

12-34, they seem to vary. I'm not sure they're wily like an old whitetail buck, but when they're skittish, they're difficult. And then sometimes they stand around like an old tired cow. Dangfino.

My only antelope came from a ranch north of Marfa. He was the first one we saw, and he waited patiently for our return. In the meantime we had glassed some 40 others, all of whom were skittish and none as good as El Primo.

There are often bunches of them along US 90 around Marfa. They just stand by the highway fence, counting cars...

:), Art

The Playground

This is some of my hunting country.

From that red rock outcrop to the cream-colored triangle toward the left rear is some six or seven miles. Where I'm standing is some 600 to 800 feet above the low, rolling country below. Doesn't sound like a lot, unless you're hunting uphill. :)

Attachments

•  the playground.jpg
    the playground.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 430
Hey Art,
What's land selling for down in your part of the world? That's some real pretty country. I'll bet it gets hotter than h*** down there in the summer. Is there any public land about for hunting? Or do you lease or what?

Overall, the 20 miles from where the picture was taken, to my house, is around 60,000 acres of private land with no residents. It's cut up into 20- and 40-acre tracts. "Terlingua Ranch", and there is a website.

Many people bought into the deal in the early 1970s, and some of them have pretty much abandoned any interest in it. Haven't paid the taxes nor the "condo fee" for maintenance of the "roads". You can find back-country tracts for around $50 an acre, more or less.

It's pretty much 4WD country, and six-ply, non-radial tires are best. "All-Terrain Radials" aren't.

I've never seen it get above 120 in summer...:D Nor below two degrees in winter.

Quite a few javelina, but sparse on deer. Lotsa walking, and it sure helps to know what sort of locations they prefer. (Bucks only) Pretty good for whitewing doves and blue quail. Fair coyote calling, and the occasional lion.

Here's an aerial shot looking north; the vegetation doesn't show, from some 4,000 feet up. The previous photo was shot from (roughly) under the wing strut of the plane, at the upper right; its view was some 45 degrees right of the mountains, to the SE.

Attachments

• rugged country.jpg
    rugged country.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 333
Art, that's pretty country.

Like they say though, nice place to visit but... I'm a New England boy recently transplanted to Colorado. Not enough trees out here as it is, I think I'd go crazy down there! I'm thinkin' the next time I get itchy feet I'm heading for the Pacific Northwest.

Jason, just run west out of Fort Collins, or get down to South Fork and on up toward Creed. Oughta be enough trees to suit you. :) Heck, fair amount of greenery west of Boulder.

For sure, if you want rain forest, the Olympic Peninsula of Washington will do you just fine!

Art

I don't know Jason,
I just moved to the Denver area from NM and I'm feeling down right closed in not to mention over populated.:D
It's all a matter of perspective I guess. I'm thinking of goiong down to Terlingua and buying a couple thousand acers and settin some barbarian desert women loose on it.

Art-

I've never been hunting, don't know anything about the sport, and until about a minute and a half ago had no inclination to go hunting.
But those pictures you posted just made me want to jump out there and walk through that land.

Caliban, come on down! Overall, there's better'n a million acres of it. Northwest from my house, it's over forty miles before you find anybody...Javelinas and coyotes don't request that you shoot'em, and they're fun to meddle with.

Gotta admit, though, what with solar panels and the like, we're starting to get some winter hermits in campers on some back-country tracts. But they're mostly Good Old Curmudgeons, who don't care much for Pavement People.

Art - Thanks for posting the pix. I needed that! Just recently made road trip to Ohio. Almost solid trees - tall trees - most of the way thru at least Tennesse and Kentucky. Coming back, one of the most rewarding sights was in Arkansas, when I finally got to an area that had been cleared enough to see an irrigated field. Nothing like getting back to Texas and being able to see for miles!

Art-
I'm mightily tempted to take you up on that offer, but I don't even know the basics of hunting.
Me being the consumate city-boy, I'd probably get all lost and eaten by coyotes or something like that.
Still, it doesn't change the fact that I would very much like to learn how to hunt, and it doesn't change the fact that there are parts of the world that are beautiful and rugged that I would like to visit.

Caliban,
You have a self fullfilling prophecy there. By learning how to hunt you'll get to see some of the worlds most rugged and beautifull country and by seeing more of this country you'll become a better hunter. I say proceed immediatly.:)

Caliban, the hunt is of two parts: First the search and then the kill. The first part is the more difficult, but a gun isn't necessary and seasons need not be considered.

Find any tract of land, public or private, away from any notably built-up area. Find a good "sittin' spot", where your shape isn't skylined and you have a view of an edge of woods and either an open field or lightly-covered brushy area. Go there about an hour before sundown, and just sit until dark. Think to yourself, "I am a rock." (or log) Do your best to imitate such, as in don't wiggle or twitch. Nothing wrong with taking a folding chair with arms. Mainly, you want the wind coming pretty much toward you from your viewing area in front--or have a cross wind.

It's amazing how many critters will be moving in that last hour or two of daylight, particularly when the moon is coming full. (Predators gotta work harder, then, so they start earlier.)

Another thing is to amble slowly in a wooded area, preferably with soft-soled boots. Look all around, take a few steps, stop and look all around. The trick is to glance down and figure your next few steps before you walk. That way you won't break twigs, and can continue looking around instead of at your feet. Slow, I said! Maybeso a few hundred yards an hour, or even less as a function of density and terrain.

It takes practice, just like being a mechanic, doctor or jeweler. Nobody was born an expert anything. Always remember that.

Some reading for the flavor of the outdoor world: Anything by Ernest Thompson Seton--although around 100 years old, they're timeless. Ruark's "The Old Man And The Boy" and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older". They're timeless, as well. These books aren't really about "how to hunt" so much as give a feel for the whole thing.

Back