What's the loudest gun you've ever shot?

Roadkill2228

Handguns, shotguns, rifles...what's been the loudest for you? I've never shot much for handguns (Canadian-makes it much more difficult to enjoy those things and I just don't bother with them...yet). I've shot a .50 bmg before...that was very loud, but in a super deep way...the most painful thing to shoot without plugs for me is hands down my little Norinco jw2000, it's a side by side 12 guage with 12 inch barrels...put a 3 inch magnum goose round in there and your ears ring for days sometimes. The other contender for most being obnoxiously loud is a friends .220 Swift...is there something about that cartridge? I've shot .22-250 before and know its not much milder, but good grief that swift is such a sharp piercing crack! I find my .300 win mag more enjoyable to shoot, no joke! What's the hardest on your head?

The loudest that I own is the Vector V51,
which is a .308 H&K pistol clone. The loudest
I ever pulled the trigger on was an M2 BMG.:D

.44 Magnum snub.

I was wearing expanding foam ear plugs, and my ears were still ringing after a cylinder full.

I doubled up on the hearing protection after that.

Remington 660, 20" barrel, stiff load of H335 and 150 gr. Sierra bullet.
At the shot, a ball of fire that was at least 4 to 5 feet wide, brighter than the sun at noon in August with a concussive muzzle blast that was actually painful if one was at one side of the gun. I was actually asked to cease fire or leave the range when I shot it there. Funny thing, John Lazzaroni was testing loads for his wildcat rounds at the same time with muzzle braked rifles that were just as loud. I lost my notes so I don't even remember the load.
Paul B.

.500 SW Snub nose
.50 BMG Barret
.454 Casull Ruger Alaskan
.35 Whelen with a 16.5'' barrel.
.45-70 18'' guide gun.

I don't know which was loudest, but they weren't fun that is for sure.... Well the Barret was fun...;)

I'd have to shoot my top two contenders for the honor side by side to tell you- and I don't plan on shooting either again. One would be a 16 or 18" barrelled (I can't remember) Puma '92 in .454 Casull. The other was a custom Mauser in 8x68S. The Mauser was worse on recoil but both were downright unpleasant to shoot, and I'm no little shrimp.

I was shooting my Mosin the other day, my dad was coming home from Virginia and said he heard the shots a good 5 miles from our house. It's my loudest gun! :D

My 500 S&W with the "4in" barrel is probably my loudest, but the gun that has caught me most by surprise is a little 22 lr derringer. Everyone expects the 500 to be loud but those little 22's are pretty deafening also ha.

.300 win mag indoors in a little concrete gunsmithing shop. Plugs and muffs was not enough. Dust came down from the ceiling.

A 10" barreled XM-177 was right up there as well.

Goes without saying, but I never shoot anything without hearing protection save that shot in the woods when hunting...

Having said that, I have always found handguns to be harder on the ears than most any rifle I have fired hands down, save the 50 BMG. Don't get me wrong, some rifle/chambering combinations bark for sure... But even in that "one shot at a deer" situation with no ear protection, nothing has had my ears ringing with more intensity than firing my 44 mag..

I KNOW my 5" bbl S&W 460V is much louder than that, but I have NEVER fired it without hearing protection and have no intention of ever doing it either.

So loudest firearm I have ever sent a round downrange with?? Probably a tie between a 50BMG long rifle and my S&W 460V.

Encore15.jpg

280 GNR Encore pistol, think 7mm RM in a rimmed cartridge. At arms length the 17" ported barrel that'll blow your hat and muffs off every time you pull the trigger. I traded it off for a different barrel but the guy I traded it to used it as a carbine.:eek:

Last edited:
Not sure about actual loudness but the one that always used to sureprise was my 5 1\2 inch 22 wmr revolver it was painful.

For me it is probably the 4" .44Mag. That has turned heads.

My .223 AR carbine has quite a crack to it, as has my .308, but I still think the .44 has it on the sound-wave stakes.

I would say the loudest rifle was a Barrett 50 BMG
The loudest pistol was a Ruger 30 carbine.
What makes it so loud is how sharp a crack the report has.
Unlike a 454 or 44 mag with a loud boom, the 30 carbine is very sharp and crisp.

Back