What's the hardest kicking handgun you have shot?

When I was young, I bought a used Contender for good price. It was an early one with a four digit serial number. It had the early 10” octagonal barrel, which was really light, chambered in 44 Mag.
It also had the early wood “saw handle” grip.
I put about 50 rounds of full power Magnum ammo, both 180gn and 240gn one day.
The result was my hand feeling like I had been barehand catching fast balls all day.

Long funny story, but long- so I will skip it. ;)

Shot a Freedom Arms chambered in .454Casull [sp?].

I am somewhat used to strong .44mag.

I was relatively accurate with it- 5 rounds in a 3" palm shape at 7-10 yards.

But I didn't find it pleasant.

Stout .44mag is my upper limit for pleasure- and I don't handgun hunt, so find no need for more.

Me too

I too have an early Contender, it really needs a Hogue grip, the original wood is nice to look at, not nice to shoot.

The uncomfortable pistol I shoot regularly is my gen 1 LCP. I force myself to put a magazine through it at the range once a month.
One of those, I don't want to do this, I need to do this.

My hand is sore for 2-3 days. The LCP is snappy.

.500 S&W with 440gr. Corbons. It sucked the air out of my lungs and beat my face to death with flapping skin. God it felt good.

My Ruger SRH in 480 has a stout recoil, but it is manageable. I would have to say that a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 magnum I shot whipped harder. It may be that I was not holding it correctly as at the time I was fairly new to shooting and did not know how much recoil to expect.

Ruger LCR .357.
After six rounds, I commented, "It can't be much more objectionable for someone on the receiving end."

Ruger Super Blackhawk, with the stock factory grips.

A switch to Pachmayr grips made a big difference.

Or wait. Maybe a Kel-Tec, P-11, 9mm. That thing would leave my arm tingling for a couple of days after 50 rounds.

There was about 20 years between the two.

Heizer Defense makes single shot pocket pistols in .45LC/.410, 7.62x39, and .223. These weigh ~23 oz. Has anyone ever shot one of these?

P-11

The P-11 is a very snappy little handful.
I found the width of the little guy helps mitigate the recoil. I'd much rather shoot the P-11 vs. the Gen. 1 LCP I carry now.
The issue I had was that pesky width. For me the P-11 did not carry any better than my G-19.

I shot a two barrel derringer 357 Mag that was tough to hold.

Matter of fact, that one would qualify as the stupidest gun I have ever shot.

Also, what aarondhgraham said in post #40. The BFR is a handful with stout 45-70 loads.

For me, it was my buddy's short barrel .500 S&W Magnum. It hurt the palm of my hand bad enough that I was done after just 4 rounds. I still wanted a big hand gun so I got the S&W 460 XVR which not only shoots easier but is also likely more devastating as a hunting pistol, my second reason for wanting a big hand gun. It remains as the fastest production handgun available.

It's a toss up between a 4" .44 magnum (Model 29) and my 3" S&W 60-15 J frame .357. Either way I don't want to exceed those levels of recoil.

Probably...a scandium S&W 357 snub with full magnums. Just nasty. And yes I have shot some big ones..45-70 and 375 JDJ in Contenders and all sorts of hot loaded 44 Mags and 45 Colts. But that little Scandium of a friends was downright painful. And I don't need a 500 S&W. If I need to kill something that bad I'll have a Guide Gun LOL

.380 AMT. I'd rather run full house rounds through my Airwieght as fast as I can pull the trigger than shoot that AMT.

Dad bought one of those holsters with a trigger hole in it to look like a wallet. That was just pouring salt on a wound. Makes my NAA .22 magnum feel like a 686.

Back