What's the hardest kicking handgun you have shot?

I have shot a 500 S&W. Certainly lets you know it's there. Then I let the guy with the 500 shoot my Contender. Not even the 45-70, but the 35 Remington.
After he touched it off he had a two word comment begining with "oh" and the second a word I won't post.

A Ruger Redhawk in 454 is technically the hardest kicker, but a Makarov in 9X18 was right there. Maybe worse.

When I was younger...13 or 14, my brother let me shoot his big ole 44 caliber Dirty Harry looking revolver. It wasn't bad, but it was the biggest handgun I've ever shot.

Hardest kicking? No doubt about it, that would be a Freedom Arms 454 Cassull with 5-1/2" barrel. It twisted and torqued so bad I had to readjust my grip each shot. Big bore Contenders have a grip that really helps you handle the recoil, single action revolvers don't.

BUT the most PAINFUL was a S&W 342PD with full-house 357 Mag 158 gr loads. It felt like a hammer hit me on the hand, and it's probably the first time in 40+ years of shooting that I didn't want to pull the trigger again. I just looked at my hand and wondered WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?

...my least favorite was a J-Frame S&W in .38Spl.

Did it have those little factory wooden grips with an exposed backstrap?
No, it had a nicely contoured wooden grip that covered the backstrap up nearly to the top and looked like it would be really comfortable. I can't tell you how surprised I was the first time I lit that little monster off.

No, it had a nicely contoured wooden grip that covered the backstrap up nearly to the top and looked like it would be really comfortable.

For comfort, my favorite grips for the J-frame are Uncle Mike's 59007. I think S&W used to call them "combat grips" when they used them in the '90s; quite a bit bigger than UM's 59010 boot grips.

My 4" Model 57 .41 mag with any 220 gr bullet using a hot load of H110. It may not be the biggest baddest gun out there, but it got my attention. Funny thing is, even shooting it fairly quickly in DA it's pretty manageable out to ten yds. This same round in my 6" off bags at a hundred yds is fairly accurate considering my eyesight and using iron sights. I can usually put about 50% of my shots into a 2'x2' square target.

Bad, Badder, Baddest

My S&W 360PD 357 Mag 12 oz airweight is peppy with magnum loads. My 2.75" S&W 460 Mag in this video is a handful with these 300 grain 454 Casualls, but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ10KIdDRwo

my 45 ACP DoubleTap derringer is my first and second place recoil champ when firing 230 grain ball ammo. The normal recoil from a .45 ACP in an all metal gun (no rubber grip) is very stout however my DoubleTap once fired both chambers at the same time.

This problem has happened to others and one large Florida gun shop stopped selling DoubleTap Derringers because of this problem.

I put a large hogue on my sp101 and even with the hottest loads the hogues and a pair of mechanic make the recoil impulse feel pretty nominal. For handguns my hardest was definitely a 50 ae desert eagle. The blast at the indoor range, combined with the intense recoil and gargantuan reciprocating mass was incredible. You really felt the slide move.

My hardest all time would be a 50 from a guys AR Frankenstein build. I think he broke his cheap glass on the first shot because my impacts weren't even inside the scope FOV at 50yds but it was soooooo fun anyways.

Each shot pushed me back about 6 inches even though I was prone... he had a 458 dotcom he let me try too.

Always share your best toys guys, I remember that gentleman fondly to this day and always will.

I've shot a few over the years that would compete for most recoil. But most were so long ago I really hate to rate them.

At one time it would have been one of a few .44mags. A Blackhawk, a Contender, and a Dan Wesson that I own.

Then there was an old friends .357max and his XP 100 he had rechambered or re-barreled into .284Win for the long range portion of the Masters match. The XP had a nasty! hot spot on the grip for my hand.:eek:

Then there was another XP 100 type in 7mm-08 but it had a nice muzzle brake so, while stout, it wasn't really the worst. Also built for the Masters.

Lastly there was the .45Win Mag in that oversized 1911 built for it.

Most recently was the Ruger LCP Custom the day my arthritic bird fingers were acting up.:o

Back