What's the hardest kicking handgun you have shot?

Hardest recoil would be my 454 Casull with full power hunting loads. Second would be 44 mag. Both out of 7 inch Ruger revolvers. The Casull has a scope, so that tames it a little. The snappiest would be a 2 inch barrel 357 mag with a 5 shot cylinder. But even that snap wasn't as bad as 44 mag for me. But I have large hands and the little grip on the 357 wasn't comfortable.

If you want big but manageable, shoot it a lot, look into 44 mag. Lots of different loads available. And the options for a hand loader are tremendous.

Wondering what the hardest kicking / snappiest pistol's y'all have shot

for me personally, nothing more then a hot loaded 357mag from a 4" smith, nothing to bad, I want to move up and try out some real power houses!

.357 through my Taurus snubby. I've only done it a few time, because it's scary.

Biggest push... .454 Cassul with 300 g XTPs loaded hot
Biggest slap in the palm... .357 maximum
Biggest twisting out of hand, Glock 22. For some reason, I could not get that thing to work for me

My buddy had some kind of tiny .380, maybe a Beretta?

It was downright nasty to shoot. Each shot was like being smacked in the hand with a hammer. None of us were willing to fire more than a single magazine through it, and those last couple rounds in the mag were a struggle.
LCP for me..nasty..Followed by a S&W 642, followed by a Ruger LC-9S..

Son has a new S&W 686+..real joy even with .357..

Snappiest= LCP, P-11

Having owned the mags from .357-.44 recoil wasn’t as much of an issue as the concussive blast.

Most painful would be a cut down H&R single shot 20 gauge, not really a handgun per say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardest kicking would be a 460 S&W, but my S&W Airweight 325 PD in 45 ACP is probably worse on the wrist. I'd much rather shoot a box of 285 grain bullets going 1,500 FPS through the 460 XVR than a couple cylinders of regular 45 ACP loads through the 325.

I fired a .500 S&W before. That is probably the hardest kicking gun I've ever shot. Some guy had some really hot loaded .44 mags and I remember that kicking pretty hard as well. I've fired the .50 AE out of the Desert Eagle, but the gas recoil and the weight of the gun tamed the recoil somewhat. Not exactly pleasant to shoot, but it didn't smack me in the face either.

I've shot some big caliper handguns before but weight of the gun and large grip mitigated recoil. Most were manageable. Least favorite handgun I've fired was a kel-tec p3at I used to own. Shooting it was like trying to hang onto an exploding credit card. I hated that little gun. I'll take snub .357 mag all day long over a p3at.

I have shot a Buffalo .357 with some homebrew ammo once. The scars healed eventually. Like others I have tried the .500 and have no need to repeat that experience.

.475 Linebaugh. It was a full custom carry gun an Alaska guide carried loaded all the way to the max with 350 grain Cast Performance slugs. It was not just the pure recoil, but significant torque as well.

Worse than the .454 Casull, SuperMags (.375, .414, .445) and .500 S&W which I have also shot. The 329 PD loaded with hardcast hunting loads was a handful, but did not come close to the Linebaugh.

Desert Eagle 50, very unpleasant gun to shoot. Wants to recoil up and come down on top of your head. And knowing my friend who owned the gun, his reloads were probably way over book max. The 44 is a pussycat compared to it.

Then my .410 single shot snake pistol, would be torture to put 100 rounds in one session through it.

4" pencil bbl 44 mag model 629 with full house loads. doable but not fun at all. in my 6" bbl they're manageable.

Don't laugh, but I feel the Walther PPKS kicks way harder than it should for the wimpy .380 ACP. The gun isn't exactly light, but it is pretty snappy. It was my mom's and she didn't like it. We ended up trading it for a Sip P230 instead, which felt better.

45-70 BFR,,,

45-70 BFR,,,
I fired two rounds from that monster,,,
Then handed it back to the owner and thanked him.

I checked that item off my "Hafta try it once then never again!" list.

Aarond

P.S. Does anyone truly believe that BFR stands for "Biggest Finest Revolver"?

Back