What's more fun - revolvers or semi-autos?

What's all this talk about fast?

Or is it with you auto chaps a slam, bam, thank you ma'am kind of handgunning? :rolleyes:

That's what I'm assuming. From what I see at the range most people are more concerned throwing a bunch of lead down range without regard for the fact that they hit every square inch of the target except for the bullseye and the 3 inches surrounding it.

I've always loved revolvers more. One thing is that during a match I always get all my brass back and when shooting in an indoor range you lose your brass if it hits the floor.

I've recently started shooting a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 and I'm having a great time. I go through a lot of ammo and I can really see how much I'm improving with the gun.

I still like the revolver better but I can live with both.

Revolvers over semis, except a 1911. Then it would be a toss up. I think it may have something to do with a nostalgia factor for me. Plastic guns just don't thrill me. I have a few poly frame guns, but they are more utilitarian for me.

The most fun is a S&W revolver and a 1911 pistol. I don't know how to like one more than the other. I have others that are fun but the S&W rev. and 1911 are the funnest.

For me, I feel like a 6 inch DA/SA 357/38 Special is just so much fun. It's slow - but relaxing. More accurate over an auto.

For fun, which do you prefer and what's your most fun gun to shoot?
In terms of fun I like it all from revolvers to pistols, bolt action to full-auto, pump/semi shotguns etc...

The most funnest for me is a single action revolver. The second most funnest is a 1911. Nothing else is even in the equation.

Both auto loaders and revolvers are fun to shoot. When shooting an automatic I find myself putting rounds downrange faster when shooting my revolvers, and my accuracy drops.

For pure fun I've really started to enjoy shooting my S&W model 18. Just slow down, reinforce whatever basic skill I have left, and enjoy time at the range with my friends.

Revolvers, especially percussion ones.

I agree, there's just something about a revolver, one with a 6,8, or 10 inch barrel that makes it feel special compared to auto loaders. Tho, even the small NAA I have I love shooting, when it works.

Then when you get a 100 year old H&R top break .32 and you find out it shoots better than some guns made today, yeah, that just make my day.

There's something about pulling the hammer back or doing a DA shot and watching the cylinder turn and the hammer move, ejecting the empties, and loading them back into the cylinder... it just feels more personal, like me and the gun are working together, where the semi auto pistols feel like a machine I'm just telling what to do.

Revolvers= Data from Star Trek
Semi-Autos= Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2

For pure fun I've really started to enjoy shooting my S&W model 18. Just slow down, reinforce whatever basic skill I have left, and enjoy time at the range with my friends.
I can see that....and I wish I had one.....also wish .22LR ammo was cheaper.

There's so many different kinds of fun and there's a handgun for each of them.
I have great fun with my cap and ball revolvers. Fairly accurate and blows smoke everywhere.
My mod 66 with a 6" barrel and trigger job shoots 2" groups at 25 yards and is definitely fun.
And there's nothing like a semiauto to blast out 15-18 rounds (oops, make that 10 rounds here on the left coast :) ) rapid fire while kicking up dirt and bouncing a coffee can around. Great fun too...

All in all too many kinds of fun to list.

Revolvers. All my revolvers with the exception of my Python have the hammers changed out or the spur cut off. So they are DOA and use moon clips and picking up a clump of brass is a pleasure

I shoot mostly semis, but the older I get, the more appealing revolvers get. I don't have to bend over and pick up brass. ;)

There is something special about revolvers, the act of loading and unloading them is much more rewarding then feeding ammo into a metal box.. I know that sounds weird.

The act of firing though I prefer the way semi's shoot.. so it guess it's a toss up, I don't usually carry revolvers.

Back