What's more fun - revolvers or semi-autos?

My Ruger Mark II Target Competition is super fun. I can expend ammo all day without breaking the bank. Its trigger is right at 2 lbs. Because of the weight and blowback system, it's more accurate than other semiautos that I have. The Volquartsen Trigger has a great action.

My Taurus 922 Tracker 22 LR/22WMR revolver is a close second. The DA trigger is right at 12.5 lbs.

Revolvers are more accurate in my hands over semiauto pistols, even in Double action, generally speaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Revolvers aren't any slower than auto loaders.
Anyone who is fast with one can be just as fast with the other.
The shooter might be slow, but the revolvers sure aren't.

Yes they are, by far.
By the time a decent shooter gets 15rds down range with a revolver a decent shooter with a semi auto has done a couple times that.
6 shot equals slow, even the 8 shots don't make a big difference.

Besides that DA/SA trigger vs SAO still equals slow.

If your the best shooter in the world using a highly modified revolver then things are a little different trigger speed wise, still can't beat the capacity draw backs though.

g.willikers opined:

Revolvers aren't any slower than auto loaders.
Anyone who is fast with one can be just as fast with the other.
The shooter might be slow, but the revolvers sure aren't.

Would love to see a revolver (and shooter) that can go thru 22 rounds in 5 seconds.

OK, this revolver might be able to and be more fun:

gau-17-gatling-gun-010-ts600.jpg

Sure you don't have that backwards? A revolver doesn't have to be taken apart to clean after shooting. Or at least mine don't. I guess the most "take down" with my wheel guns is removing the cylinder in my SA revolvers.

I can take down and clean a Glock in about 3 minutes if I really take my time; my revolvers take 10X that time to clean the barrel and cylinders

So, we've established that auto fans can't handle a heavy DA revolver trigger---snowflakes?---and now it's clear that they are lazy squirts about cleaning a firearm. :p;):D

I can take down and clean a Glock in about 3 minutes if I really take my time; my revolvers take 10X that time to clean the barrel and cylinders
A half hour to clean a revolver:eek:
You must shoot some really nasty, soft lead bullet ammo!
I can thoroughly clean my cap & ball revolvers even after shooting the real deal black powder quicker than that,

I think the only thing we have established is that semi auto shooters prefer their superior platform, the semi auto :) :D :cool:

Shooting and cleaning a revolver is therapeutic and pride of ownership. My plastic guns (sig Smith etc) are just that, a lot of fun but no longevity.

Thewelshm

I like shooting and owning both of them. As far as cleaning I can clean either pretty quick so no difference there. As far as what makes me smile more that that would be pushing 125 grain .357 magnum down a 6 inch barrel. Oh yeah.....

faa1dc6aefe57416889418cb12fd663f.jpg

This post prompted me to shoot my 357 Magnums. I'd have to say after 200 rounds. Yes. Revolvers are definitely more fun.

They're not finicky with ammo, unlike a semiautomatic. They can shoot very hot loads or very light ones. I like their versatility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I think semi's are more fun. Mostly because a) I shoot them much better and b) more time shooting, less time reloading.

Semi-auto for me. Revolvers are cool but theyre slow. For everyone who is now headed to Youtube to find a video of some revolver trick shot expert who can fire their revolver fast, I know you can become very fast with a revolver but here the thing: we're talking the average person here, who doesnt practice dry firing their gun 8 hours a day. Anyone can shoot fast with a SA, even without much practice.

What's all this talk about fast?

Or is it with you auto chaps a slam, bam, thank you ma'am kind of handgunning? :rolleyes:

I like both so much, I really would be hard press to choose one over the other. That is revolver vs semi-auto. Dont forget single shots like the encore or contender.

Then I have a pedersoli 20 gauge Howdah double. That is hard to call anything more than pure fun. Not my first choice if I could only have one handgun, but it is fun.

Fun is what you make it. Hunting, bullseye/paper, steel or big black cloud of smoke - are all good fun in my book. I get bored after a while and like to shoot different guns.

The fixed barrel semi auto like Hi Standard or Ruger 22's are the most accuracy for the dollar. Accuracy is fun, right?

The revolvers handle wider range of ammo. Versatilty might lead to fun, if you like shooting rodents with shot in the barn one day and low cost cast reloads the next or full power magnums another day.

I dont have a 9mm, but; I need to get another one. Maybe another Luger? Is nostalgia fun? I think so. I see low cost bulk 9MM ammo and low cost shooting is more fun than hi-dollar counter part.

Then there is a certain smith & wesson cannon, that I wont mention. I dont consider reloading fun, so low cost factory ammo is a plus. OK, then a cannon can be fun too. More gratification per trigger pull.

If I could cop-out and pick two, it would be a 22lr semi and a 44mag single action revolver. Replacing both new today, two Rugers.

Back