What's more fun - revolvers or semi-autos?

cjsoccer3

For me, I feel like a 6 inch DA/SA 357/38 Special is just so much fun. It's slow - but relaxing. More accurate over an auto.

For fun, which do you prefer and what's your most fun gun to shoot?

If it goes bang and something goes down range it's fun.
But for some real fun, neither revolver or auto.
Holding tiny groups, and busting chucks at 100+ yards or downing a whitetail with a T/C Contender is hard to beat.

Does it have a trigger?
Does it expel a projectile?

If it meets the above it's fun. Nerf, BB, Pellet, .22, belt fed, 20mm whatever. As long as it's handled safely it's all fun.

My personal favorite is my CZ-85b. Low recoil impulse, but more than a .22.

Before that, an old single action BP revolver in .44 caliber.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Does it have a trigger?
Does it expel a projectile?

. . ^^ True ^^

But I do have to give the nod to revolvers. I like the added challenge of pulling a double-action revolver trigger. It's fun to out-shoot the semi-auto guys next to me at the range. And it crosses over: if you can shoot a revolver (DA) well; then you can likely shoot a semi-auto well. But not the other way around. Most semi-auto guys struggle with revolvers.

And I don't like chasing brass - especially when the range is crowded.

A revolver.

Nick C S has provided a proviso which is also true about handling
a revolver in DA vs. an auto.

Easy, semi auto.

I'll shoot my revolvers more when I'm old and slow and can't bend over to pick up the brass :)

Both, except when it comes to cleaning afterwards - then the semi wins hands down. Since I'm old and my first handguns were revolvers, (Glocks weren't even a thought yet in Gaston's mind), I have always been partial to their classic looks. But as I age, I tend to shoot the semis a little better....

What's more fun? Baseball or basketball?

Both, for different reasons.

"We live is both kinds of music. Country AND western!"

Revolvers aren't any slower than auto loaders.
Anyone who is fast with one can be just as fast with the other.
The shooter might be slow, but the revolvers sure aren't.

I'm glad I don't have to chose between the two.:D

If I really had to chose one over the other then it would have to be the revolver.

I'm a reloader and I can load ammo for my revolvers that range from very mild all the way up to the max and still have the revolver function perfectly with any of them. I can't do that with a semi auto. The semi has to be loaded within narrow parameters to function properly. Any load that will spit a bullet out of the barrel will work with a revolver. For that reason, I would chose the revolver over the semi.

There are also factory loads for most revolver calibers that give the shooter the same versatility as my handloads.

Both, except when it comes to cleaning afterwards - then the semi wins hands down.
:confused:
Sure you don't have that backwards? A revolver doesn't have to be taken apart to clean after shooting. Or at least mine don't. I guess the most "take down" with my wheel guns is removing the cylinder in my SA revolvers.

I like them both... ( which is more fun, hard to say )..

I shoot the semi-autos more ...

but I like shooting the revolvers as well. ( I carry a semi auto "1911" most of the time, but will carry a .357 mag revolver once in a while as well ).

I will always have several of each...( especially 1911's in 9mm and .45 acp / and S&W K, L and N frame revolvers in .357 Mag )

Sure you don't have that backwards? A revolver doesn't have to be taken apart to clean after shooting. Or at least mine don't. I guess the most "take down" with my wheel guns is removing the cylinder in my SA revolvers.

It takes about 5 seconds to take my semi-autos apart and about 10 seconds to take my 1911 apart. It takes just slightly longer to put them back together. I can clean my semi-autos quicker than I can clean my revolvers.

Back