What's keeping you protected?

1)no - maybe someday
2)no - I used to
3)no - that's reckless
4)yes - but they're small and are only good for alerting me to an intruder. After that I'm on my own.

I live in suburban Detroit and yes my house has been broken into in broad day light, but there's just too many children running around to leave loaded guns lying around. I did have a gun on the nightstand next to my bed when I lived in SW Detroit but I didn't have children at the time. The risks of having a child get a hold of a gun far outweighs the benefit of having loaded firearms throughout the house. That's my situation yours is almost certainly different and I'm not ridiculing anyone for doing what they think is best FOR THEM.

Makes sense that it was a joke....my fault for not realizing it immediately. Usually haunt the web during sleepless nights. Guess I was not on top of my game and for that I apologize. No one on this site would ever think that a cell phone and a 911 response would be better than fending for themselves. Jeez, what was I thinking?

1. Yes. I carry every day.

2. Yes. My carry weapon rests in my EDC bag (next to the bed, compartment open) while I sleep.

3. No. I don't keep other firearms loaded and staged around the house. I do keep a second one loaded in my gun box, also in the bedroom. If I have time to access it and bunker up, an invader would wind up facing a veritable wall of .40 coming out of truly "high capacity magazines".

4. Yep. Furry alarms are present and yappy.

I almost went with "i rely on my tazer and a shotgun loaded with rubber slugs and blanks", but I thought that would be too obvious.

in reality, I have a 357 snubbie at ALL times, a chambered hi-cap 9(safety on) on top o the fridge and a 357 lever staged in the bedroom chambered, with the hammer down. a hi-point 9 for the bathroom(cuz I don't care if it gets rusty) and the rest are locked up, loaded but unchambered in the safe

p.s. I love dogs to death, but will never own another one. just too busy to be a good dog owner

A recent conversation got me thinking about how many people that carry daily keep guns accessible within their house?

1. Do you carry every day?
2. Do you keep a night table gun or rifle nearby?
3. Do you keep other loaded guns, rifles, or shotguns throughout the house?
4. Do you have a 4 legged early warning system and/or house alarm?

Just as a point of reference, i was once the victim of an armed home invasion robbery while I was living on the 14th story of a high rise building. I never thought I would be robbed, never mind an armed robbery. All my guns were in the safe. Never again. In fact, I was shot during that robbery and playing dead saved my life. Long, long story which I am glad I am able to tell, but not here.

So... being robbed and shot didn't cause you to consider it, but instead a recent conversation... :cool: I'm just poking here.

Self preservation is an appropriate term. Your health, your welfare, your financial well-being, and your safety from violent crime. It's multi-faceted.

Situational awareness in life is really the most important self preservation tool we have. You can't always have a gun. Permit me a question about the high-rise robbery. Perhaps your high-rise robbery would have been prevented not with a gun, but instead with more situational awareness? It's a legit question, not an attack. Were strangers allowed access to the building? The apartment? Did they smash in the door? Or given access somehow?

Giving stranger access to a home without having ones' guard up, for instance, is letting down situational awareness. You can't necessarily always have a gun, either. Someone can/may get the drop on you and all the guns in the world won't matter if you are outdrawn.

And if you use a gun in self defense and not know the law very well, or your rights and say something stupid, you might face prosecution and even if you win, spend $50,000 on lawyer's fees and lose your job due to the arrest.

Some folks love to talk about how amazing they are at shooting, but are obesely overweight and while they might carry or know how to use a gun, they'll die of heart disease when they are 40.

Healthy mind, body, and soul... with a high level of situational awareness and solid self-defense and firearms skills.... a recipe for long and happy life.

Me personally, I'm fit mentally and physically, have studied a variety of grappling and striking martial arts, highly trained in firearms, know the law of self defense, and maintain constant situational awareness at home or on the road. That's not to say I can't relax, I am just ready to assess situations at any moment.

To answer your questions, I carry everywhere I legally can. I have loaded guns in close proximity in my home or car when I travel. I have ample home security systems in place for detection, warning, and recording. None of this is paranoia... it is just practical common sense measures to protect what is most important in my life...

Last edited:
My brain is. A gun isnt nessasary at all times. I for one havent shot anyone.

Me neither but one never knows when that might be necessary to save one's self or his family. A gun may not be necessary for that... but one must have the proper tools at hand to defend those we love and are responsible for. I'm not going after a man with a gun, axe or knife with my bare fists... Ill BETTER defend myself, my wife... and my children.

Come at me or my family with intent to harm and I WILL KILL YOU IF NECESARY!!

To the gentleman from Everette, Washington, who thinks his neighborhood is immune from crime.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?aid=2f1337b7-dede-4e1e-97fb-2bede11d7394

In Everette WA there were 143 crimes reported in the last week period 5/13-5/19. Quite a few were burglaries, drugs, robberies, etc. If 143 is the weekly average, that's nearly 7,500 crimes annually in Everette.

Check out your zip code to see how many crimes are in your area. It'll startle you.

To anyone thinking (mistakenly) that they are socio-economically immune from violent crime, read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

Summary is that an affluent family in Connecticut was brutalized by two home invaders. I believe he was a well-paid doctor and they lived in a very quiet expensive neighborhood.

Two thugs followed a wife and daughter home from the market, broke in, beat the husband unconscious (nearly dead), and raped and burned alive the mom and two teenage girls, and burned the home down. If mom or dad had taken ANY measures for home or self defense they likely all would be alive.

Last edited:

1. Where legally allowed, yes. Unfortunately I spend more time where I'm not allowed to carry than not.
2. Glock 23 on the dresser w/ spare mag next to it.
3. No
4. Not yet, my landlord doesn’t allow animals.

Unfortunately I live in Hawaii where there is no CCW allowed. I do, however, have a couple firearms close by in my home just in case a scenario like the OP had mentioned (home invasion). I don't have an alarm or pets to give me an early warning alarm. I have learned to shoot well enough but not in any formal tactical training.

1. When/where legal. Most of the time I carry in my yard/home/shop.
2. EDC goes on bedside shelf (where it is hidden from casual view).
3. Keep loaded magazines, but not firearms - we have visitors with kids.
4. Got a generally worthless, big yellow cat, who is alert to strange sounds so he can save his own skin if necessary. If I see the cat run up the flag, I go on alert.

multi layered

Yes I carry daily where I legally can.
Yes My wife and I keep nightstand guns.
Yes There are weapons throughout the house. Firearms and other.
Yes with a caveat. My dogs are dachshunds and chihuahas with the exception of the lab. I would not want them hurt and am glad they are yappers. They raise such a ruckus that it sets off dogs all around the area. Noise is sometimes useful in getting a bad guy to leave without a confrontation.

Back