What's keeping you protected?

1. Yes, usually my Kahr PM9. When I'm home, I usually swap it for an NAA Pug for weight and comfort reasons. It's in my pocket now.
2. Yes, a Springfield .45 1911
3. Yes, several ... the Pug is good for an emergency, but if I have a few seconds, I can get to one or another of the guns stashed around.
4.Yes, my loudmouth beagle, the intrepid Shiner. As for cats, mine hides if somebody walks by the house. The woman who takes care of him when we travel has never actually seen him. He's usually in the guts of the sofa.

I live in a small, very quiet community. In the 10+ years I've been here, there have been no murders, and no major robberies involving gunplay. The worst crime I can remember involved the pistol-whipping of an old couple in their home; they had an alarm and authorities showed up in time to corral the baddies. Still, carrying has been a habit for that entire time and I'm not about to discontinue it now.

I used to keep guns stashed about the house until I had a gun safe. One nightmare scenario is that if you came home and surprised a burglar, the chances are very good you will be seeing one of your own guns pointed at you. Now, my guns are either under my immediate control, on my person, or locked away in a safe.

I realized there is one other key component to my home security setup I forgot to mention.

Orange lights. I have canister lamps staged around the house with 13 watt orange CFL bulbs I use as night lights. Thanks to the magic of automatic timers, they cycle on/off on their own and each cost a mere $3/year in electricity.

The best thing about the orange light is it allows me to see and move around well at night without turning on regular lights or resorting to flashlights. After using them for several years now, I don't buy into the hype of them improving your sleep, but they certainly don't make it harder to fall asleep or stay asleep (even with chronic insomnia/poor sleep quality like me).

1. Do you carry every day?
2. Do you keep a night table gun or rifle nearby?
3. Do you keep other loaded guns, rifles, or shotguns throughout the house?
4. Do you have a 4 legged early warning system and/or house alarm?

YES
YES, In my handgun safe bolted to my bed frame.
NO, I always pocket carry regardless of my EDC and even around the house.
YES, along with lighting and timers.

1. Do you carry every day? Yep
2. Do you keep a night table gun or rifle nearby? Yep
3. Do you keep other loaded guns, rifles, or shotguns throughout the house? Not yet
4. Do you have a 4 legged early warning system and/or house alarm? Yep

Tim @ Liberty

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
4. no

I rotate between three handguns for CC, currently it's a Walther PK380 with Remington golden sabre 102gr JHP's. Whatever my CC was for the day becomes my nightstand gun when I go to bed. All other firearms are unloaded and in the safe. Same routine if my day was spent wandering the great outdoors, whichever one of my two trail guns was carried spends the night on the nightstand. when I alternate firearms it's in the morning and based on what I plan to do that day.

I have no CHL but in TX I can legally carry on my property and in my vehicle. I carry a 9mm 18+1 pistol with Federal HST ammo. In my home I have the same pistol but also a 12ga with 8+1 rounds of Rio Low Recoil #4 buckshot. I do carry every time I drive and every time I walk/check my property. A firearm is always within a few feet or a few inches reach. My little pug is aging and seems to be losing his hearing so he doesn't always bark anymore. But I'm not about to replace him now because he's my best friend.

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

No
Yes
yes
No

Not trying to be cute but "I" keep me protected.
My training, & the fact that I've seen things that should never, ever, happen to anyone, happen anyway.
The very best & innocent people have suffered from the very worse of people.
Being mentally prepared & armed very well, could have stopped the ugly in it's tracks.
Man; could I tell stories that might be very hard to believe.
I'm crippled now as a result of one of the uglies.
I can't physicially defend me as I once could.
I keep a firearm handy, real handy, all the time.
I have 12 bore pumps, AR rifles, revolvers, pistols, close at hand and I practice very often. (not all at once tho)
I live in the country where about everyone shoots in the back yard.
I have a range to 125 yards & use it.
I favor ctgs that have serious meaning. The .45 a.c.p., the .40 S&W, the .38 +P & the .357 mag.
I sometimes woods walk with a 4" .41 mag. Not so much for two legged preditors but we have a serious feral dog situation around here & people have bbeen attacked by these critters.
There is much sense in knowing the only one that can protect you quickly is you!

1. Yep

2. Yep

3. Yep

4. Have a house alarm. The only time we have a 4 legged early warning system is when we dog sit for my grandaughter.

SIG Sauer P226 E2 9mm
5 - 18rd flush mags
2 - 20rd extended mags
3 - Factory 15 rd mags

Usually with a Streamlight TLR-1HL either OWB at 3:00 at work with 2 20 rounders in a Bianchi mag pouch at 8:00.

CCW's include:

OWB at 4:00 with the TLR-1HL in a kydex (forgot the brand) holster and at least 1 20 rd mag.

AIWB at 1:00 with TLR-1HL in a kydex (also forgot the brand) holster and at least 1 20 rd mag.

AIWB at 1:00 in a DCH's kydex holster and at least 1 20 rd mag.

Yes, it's only not on my person when I'm showering or asleep. Then it's on the night table while I sleep and on the toilet while I shower. Other than that my gun is on me ALL THE TIME. Work and personal life. When I'm home watching a movie, working on the car, going for a walk, going to Publix..etc. Always at least 1 spare 20rd mag. I already have the 18+1 in the SIG P226 regardless and usually have a TLR-1HL on it.

Yes, the same gun I carry all the time with the TLR-1HL and all the mags out.

Negative. All locked away in the safe and ALWAYS have at least one on me. If my rifle is on me it's because something happened in my area and/or a hurricane has hit/is about to hit. Then my honey badger AR is out with it's plethora of magazines as well in 5.56.

Yes, an alarm and a 4 legged German Pin.

I rely on my cellphone an the quick response of the P.D. to protect me, no need to senselessly carry a gun all the time

3. Do you keep other loaded guns, rifles, or shotguns throughout the house? no

1 no
2no
3 no
4 yes.

Quote:

I carry every day, either a Sig P250c 9mm or a Keltec PF9
My night stand pistol is a XDc 9mm
I do not keep guns through out the house, only in the safe.
My four legged friend is a Min Pin who thinks she is a full sized Doberman. Getting up in years as she is 12 but can still wake us up.

My four legged friend is a Min Pin who thinks she is a full sized Doberman.

3ajade7y.jpg

I rely on my cellphone an the quick response of the P.D. to protect me, no need to senselessly carry a gun all the time

I mean no disrespect Skizzums, but, you sir, have effectively buried your head in the sand. I will pray that you will never be in a situation that your life and the lives of your family are dependent upon the response time of a 911 call.

Back