What's in your Bug Out Bag?

Do you have a BUG out Bag

• Yes

Votes: 61 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 16.6%
  • No, But I am going to put one together soon

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • No, and you are paranoid for having one at all :)

Votes: 21 13.9%

• Total voters
A lot of people like the idea of a Bic lighter, and that's not a bad thing, but don't rely on it as your only source of fire. Several reasons--Get it wet and it's not lighting for a while, not good. Anyone ever give one a flick and have the spring shoot the flint over your shoulder to who-knows-where? And after lighting something, most peoples' automatic reaction is to stuff it in the pocket of their jeans. Now take a seat for a little while so the gas starts flowing---wadda-ya know the next time you need it, you're out of fluid and all you have is a near-useless sparker.

I'm not saying don't carry one, by all means--DO. But carry a back-up fire source also.

I prefer matches. Starting a fire with a bic nearly always ends up with the darned thing getting too hot to hold or scalding my finger. Plus a match you can light and then drop down into a pile of tinder.

Magnesium fire starters make good backups to matches.

Another interesting idea I ran across is caching supplies. Burying supplies in 10 inch PVC pipe with the ends sealed (or similar storage containers) in various locations that you would try to get to, or on the way to somewhere you would try to get to.

Why not just hire a construction crew to follow you around 24 hours a day? This way they can build you a house if yours gets invaded by aliens hired by the commies.

Scenerio for the dumb-a$$es

It's hunting season. You take 3 days off in the middle of the week to go out after that monster bull elk you've been watching for the past month. Your area isn't real popular, and pretty rugged--hence there's a monter bull out there. It's been snowing off and on all weekend--even better--TRACKS! So there you are, miles from nowhere, hiking to your spot at 3AM in the dark so you're in position when he crosses the saddle with his herd at first light. *OOPS!* You take a bad step, tumble, and before you know what direction is up or down, you're crumpled against a tree with a badly broken ankle. To top it off, it's snowing again. So----situation: No one is supposed to expect you back for three days. You're miles from nowhere, and if you're there for that monster bull, it's likely few people would have much idea where to start looking for you other then general area when the DO start missing you. It's dark, with freezing temperatures, and you're now facing shock and hypothermia that puts you in a critical, life-threatening situation.

Is this realistic? VERY. Unprepared people die every year from similar things. Me? I'd rather be over-prepared and have a better chance of surviving this. For the "kids" that think we're a bunch of paranoid radicals, here's your little challenge. Take a look through my pack list earlier posted and tell me what in there WOULDN'T be useful. Then I'll tell you why you're wrong, why I'd likely live through something like I discribed, and you wouldn't stand a chance given current attitude.

In several parts of the US a catastrophic earthquake is a matter of when, not if. Everyone knows about California, but how many know about Missouri? Check out the history of lake Reel Foot sometime, scary. How many are aware of the "super volcano" in Montana, aka Yellowstone National Park? Not if but when it blows (and it is geologically due) it will create a horrendous problem for the entire North American continent, something on the orderof magnitude of multiple hydrogen bombs going off, something like 10,000 Mt St Helens?

Lots of folks live in tornado alley - lots of folks have been and will be in severe crisis from tornados - watch the news. Then for the east coasters and the gulf coasters, hurricane season is almost here again, and it is expected to be another bad one. Shoot, we have had how may already before the normal season even started?

There are the kinds of emergencies that happen while driving in the sticks, car breaks down and it is a long hike out, or driving when a blizzard comes up on you, or......Predicting these kind of things is impossible. Better to have a few odds and ends on hand just in case you ever need them.

Even WC Fields had an emergency that he wasn't prepared for, he said "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days." :D :D

Mikkel:where to buy in USA?

Hey, I want one of those. Do you know of any source in the USA. The website is all in Norwegian, so I can't read anything.

Can I order direct, or are there any sources here in the USA?
thanks for your help.

Don't worry, HahnB probably doesn't need any of that stuff, because he doesn't leave his house, and the only camping he's ever done is on Everquest! :barf:

Bug Out

I started carrying a minimal bag some years ago. Two survival blankets, a package of emergency candles, waterproof match container, a dozen dog biscuits, extra sox and gloves and a set of insulated underwear.

Why? A few years ago two men I worked with were killed in a snowstorm on their way to work. Zero visability, ran out of gas, froze, car completely buried and only found when a snow plow hit the car. Not in Colorado, Montana, Maine or such. This happened in Ohio.

Been there too!

Yeah, I live in the mountains too, some snow, 100+ inches of rain is common, fires, earthquakes, floods and old cars and trucks.
Been stranded out in the cold more than a few times, so even my go to town pack is pretty large!

I guess those of you that don't see the merits of being prepared for emergency situations ahead of time don't carry a gun? What's the chances of you getting into a gun fight? So why carry then? Not much difference in my opinion.

Hahnb
Have you and your buddy ever left the house or are you even old enough to be out after dark?

Why is it those with the least to add to a discussion always want to say it the loudest.

If you don't like what's being discussed here act like a big boy.
hike up your pull-ups and go play somewhere else

I'd ditch the disposible poncho and get a G.I. one along with a liner. The trauma and space blanket will not really keep you warm. I'd change them out to the 10 to 15$ Sportsman blanket much more sturdy. Again they really won't keep you warm but will serve as ground sheet/tarp. the GI poncho/liner is probably good to 50°.How big is water bottle, you're going to need several liters/day esp in the Tx heat. Go to a backpacking store and get a collosible(sp?) canteen--Nalgene or Platypus and some purifying tabs, you might not have time to pump and need to purifiy on the run. I 'd keep the matches but add the Bic, several in fact. Also get some waterproof matches and match safe at the backpacking store along with some type of firestarter. Flares are great but will only work once-save for really bad weather. Once you are really using the BOB don't keep all you fire starting material in one place.
I don't remember if you listed a flashlight. Get a good LED one batteries will last much longer. I like Princeton Tec, Streamlight and Surefire(very expensive)Carry an extra set of batteries, Lithium preferred.Sometype of small radio to keep up with events. To get some ideas go to http://www.equipped.com/. Bladeforums.com and and Kniveforum.com both have survivalforums with tons of info.
Do you have a small fixed blade and a folder in the kit or do you carry on self or in vechicle. Small folding limb saw

It's a good start.

Bob

Cold is not much of an issue here.
My tent is a jungle hammock with an old GI tarp hung on a line strung over the top and two long sticks used to keep the tarp spread out.

I used to camp like that for years.
It makes a nice hanging tent to keep you off the cold wet ground and takes up minimal room.

Last edited:
don't forget your cell phone

In worst case scenarios, of course your cell phone won't work. However, if you are out on a hunting trip and have an accident, your cell phone will be your lifeline. Wonder why no one has mentioned a cell phone yet? Probably because we like to think we can independently take care of ourselves no matter what. However, that ain't the way it is. Also, I would suggest building a network of like-minded friends. In the worst case scenario, this would be truly invaluable. Church might be a good place to start.

Wonder why no one has mentioned a cell phone yet? Probably because we like to think we can independently take care of ourselves no matter what.
More likely for the same reason no one has mentioned underwear yet, it's that much a part of everyday life that it hasn't been given a second thought.
Nowadays grabbing my cell just to go down to the store is as natural as grabbing my car keys

Yes, unfortunately, my cell phone is always with me. There are some good ideas coming out of this thread.

I have enough packed water for one day. The water filter is a pretty neat little affair. It is a plastic bottle (Bottoms Up brand http://www.neatitems.com/Bottoms-Up.htm) that will filter up to 200 gallons of water. You fill it up and squeeze the bottle and the water comes out of a spout just like a regular sports drink bottle. You can clean up stagnant ditch water with this thing - so unless I get into a situation where there just isn't any water available anywhere, I am ok on water with minimal weight.

I have a swiss army poncho that I need to put in my truck with my bob, It is a bit bulky which is why it isn't in the bag. But if need be I could always tie it on top of the bag and carry it that way.

Even WC Fields had an emergency that he wasn't prepared for, he said "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."

LOL... Although I haven't put a bug-out-bag together, mine would surely include some barter items. If the SHTF ya'll can come to my bar. (Trollers too... we're going to have to eat somebody...)

No flames here,(well except for the little boys on the parents computer) this only an extremley educational thread. In that light I need to point out something here...

Cold is not much of an issue here.
My tent is a jungle hammock with an old GI tarp hung on a line strung over the top and two long sticks used to keep the tarp spread out.

I've used to camp like that for years.
It makes a nice hanging tent to keep you off the cold wet ground and takes up minimal room.

When the SHTF, so will conventional thinking. You will ratchet up to survival mode, and not what normal everday life has been. Should you be forced to move north, or severe weather changes occur (there is discussion of events that could bring Chicago's climate down to Georgia) you may need warmer items. I have only warm items in my gear as I can modify them to cooler wearing but can't go the other way. I can cut off sleeves, but not make new ones to sew on. I can layer clothers, and sleep in a light weight bag if the temp drops, or slim down some if weather is warm. Think extremes. Buy only the best equipment, you are betting your life, and the life of loved ones on it. Don't get propane lanterns, get dual fuel. Have a hand crank pump to extract fuel from underground tanks.(This can be optional as there may be plenty of vehicles sitting around with fuel left in them), but you get the idea. etc...

You have to think in extremes that most people have never considered. And always, always remember the most important rule of survival. "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!"

Unless you have spent years studying this stuff, get a good survival manual. Go to the web sites. Sit down with your family, determine needs, priorities, and develop a plan. Don't wait until you have enough to put it all together, start NOW. when you go to the store buy a copule extra cans of vegetables. Get an extra can of white gas, buy an extra bottle of water. I could write a complete book, but most people here are adult enough to figure this stuff out. It is just that we don't think of these things very often because we are no longer forced to. We have all the convieniences, and luxuries of modern living, and as the saying goes "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Bad part is the wheel is starting to squeak, please don't wait until it falls off. Because when the SHTF I would like to be able to catch up with guys on the other side.

Cell phones are somewhat over rated.
I can't even get reception at my house, nor most places in the mountains around here.

But I still normally carry one because it works about 50% of the time.

You know, I think that this thread two revealing characteristics of trolls.

1. With their first post, they eliminate any hope of intelligent conversation with them . . . ever.

2. They say things over the net they wouldn't have the guts to say to your face.

Back