What's a great 38 sp. SD ammo?

I thank you for your service..

The 38spl Wadcutter is still a effective round for a lightweight snubbie ..the sharp edges of the round cuts its way through tissue and pentrates well

The first concern of a SD round is you have the ability to accurately and quickly fire a follow up shot ....
Next is penetration ... The WC will not be effected by layers of clothing... ..
This not only my view but thousands of others ...

But now with technology in bullet constuction they are a few +P 38 spl loads that will penetrate and expand reliably with a 2 inch or less barrel... But with +p increased pressure = increased recoil in lightweight snubbies...
They are even fewer standard pressure 38 spl rounds that will both penetrate and expand ..with a 2 inch or less barrel.

Thats why the mild wadcutter maybe a viable choice for some..

Last edited:
The 38spl Wadcutter is still a effective round for a lightweight snubbie ..the sharp edges of the round cuts its way through tissue and pentrates well

One of my fellow officers was shot with a 38 wadcutter, it penetrated just enough to encounter the pelvis, he shot and killed his attacker with a 357.

I have seen more than one inner city dweller shot with 38's refuse medical treatment. I never saw that with a 357.

But now with technology in bullet constuction they are a few +P 38 spl loads that will penetrate and expand reliably with a 2 inch or less barrel... But with +p increased pressure = increased recoil in lightweight snubbies...

Penetrate and expand in what jello? Increased recoil? Unless you are infirm it is a range issue.

I like to remind everyone that in my original post the 2 revolvers that I was asking about 38 sp. self defense ammo were '' BOTH SOLID STEEL REVOLVERS & NOT LIGHT WEIGHT OR SYNTHETIC MADE/PARTS REVOLVERS". The Ruger GP 100 4.2" in 357 magnum is made of blued carbon steel or polished stainless steel. The EAA 2' 357 in magnum's frame is made of steel.
So, let's stay on point please.! This question is very important to me & probably to alot of others out there who own steel revolvers & not hybrid lightweight "gee I can carry this in my bathing suit revolvers".
Ther were some great advice but most of it got lost in the discussions about light weight revolvers.

Last edited:
Here it is
One of tbe few 38spl rounds that will penetrate and expand in ballastic gel ....out of a two inch barrel
You can check the Lucky gunner site for alot of tests in both two inch and 4 inch barrels

They are tested in ballistic gel ...
Its hard to find volunteers two have bullets shot in them..

The spear gold dot 135 grain 38+ P got a good rating from the New York Police Department. They were satisfied with the results from there Two inch and four-inch off-duty and back up revolvers used on the street. This was reported by Masad Ayoob a few years back.

I just saw a gelatin test with the Federal 130 grain HST +p. Excellent expansion. I've been happy with Gold Dots but am due for some fresh defense ammo as it's been maybe 20 years since I replaced my .357 ammo for the house. It's a new thread in another major forum if anyone is interested.

Back