What would Dirty Harry use today?

If Dirty Harry was a police officer today, what would be his weapon of choice?

• Smith and Wesson 329

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Smith and Wesson 629

Votes: 37 22.7%
  • Smith and Wesson 460V

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Smith and Wesson 500

Votes: 54 33.1%
  • Desert Eagle 44

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Desert Eagle 50

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 33 20.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking he would move to the Chiappa Rhino 60DS in .357 Magnum. Because it's not just about the power, it's also about the intimidation factor. And let's face it: the Rhino is a damn scary looking revolver.

Long ago I read an article about a cop who was impressed with the dirty harry gun that he got one and carried it in his duties. A few days later it's in the drawer and he's back to his snub nose.

He said it's hell carrying that brute. LOL

When the Dirty Harry movies made the 29 so popular you couldn't touch them for anywhere near retail. Once the novelty wore off, and the "I-gotta-have-its" found out that shooting it was expensive and punishing, you couldn't give them away.

Ironically, the quest for 29s is back on, mostly due to (IMHO) the dislike of the newer models with the ILS.

The real irony is that Clint Eastwood is anti gun.

Last edited:
I remember seeing quite a few different Model 29s in the 70s for sale with a box of ammo containing 44 rounds.

People would get one, fire it six times, and decide it wasn't for them!

A 29 still commands a higher price than a 57. And Dirty Harry still uses a 29, I saw him in the "Enforcer" just last night.;)

For pure wow factor, a 45-70 revolver, because size matters. It should be noted that Harry used a .44 Automag in one movie. The AMP is still the sexiest pistol outside of John Powers' Magmatic, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
gyvel said:
The real irony is that Clint Eastwood is anti gun.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. He's a little Fudd-like in some ways (not a huge fan of AR/AK-type weapons, pro-universal-background-check, pro-waiting-period), but he's also expressed doubts that gun control alone would be particularly effective, and support for private ownership as a general thing. I remember him specifically highlighting Switzerland's example, where arms ownership is very high but everyone has mandatory training.

He's apparently fond of telling the joke about the police officer stopping the well-armed housewife, and I think I remember a YouTube video where he finished it with "... and that about sums up my gun control." Can't find it, though, so it may be my memory playing tricks on me.

I get the feeling that Clint's stance on guns is, like a lot of his other positions, subtle and carefully considered. I don't agree with everything he says, but listening to his thoughts and not just soundbites, I've never heard anything out of him that I couldn't respect.

To answer the OP's question, though, I think Harry Callahan would be well retired by now, but he'd probably keep his old friend in the nightstand. At most he might have a 629 Stealth Hunter instead - same familiar firepower, but with some extra weight to tame the recoil. He's not chasing perps anymore.

Dirty Harry would carry a .22 RF handgun. The recoil from anything larger would really hurt his arthritic hands.:D

I think he would stick with the 44 magnum. Some folks are "a scared" of the old 44 magnum and that's too bad, it is a great cartridge. Love it. Personally I think if you are going to be DH and shoot one handed, like he did in the movie, then the 44 magnum is about the reasonable limit. I shoot a 44 magnum one handed. The gun does pop up pretty good and there is a recovery time in bringing it back on target.
So...going hog hunting in Georgia- Yeah, I might try one of the heavier guns just for fun, but for a DH- I'd still use the old 44 Mag. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back