What would Dirty Harry use today?

If Dirty Harry was a police officer today, what would be his weapon of choice?

• Smith and Wesson 329

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Smith and Wesson 629

Votes: 37 22.7%
  • Smith and Wesson 460V

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Smith and Wesson 500

Votes: 54 33.1%
  • Desert Eagle 44

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Desert Eagle 50

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 33 20.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Barrett 82A1, 50 Cal hand gun with a 9 barrel and wood grips with iron sights.
At least he could once again say “This is the Barrett 50 the most powerful gun in the world!”
He could hold it around corners and shoot at bad guys and do it with a hot dog in his mouth.

Glock 10MM with two high capacity mags in his shoulder harness,

"Eyes just ain't what they used to be."

Short barreled Smith 500 at his left side, rearward facing hi rise belt holster with two speed loaders on the right side on his belt.

"For the scumbags hiding behind car doors, shooting at me."

"What you'd just ask me?"

"I can't hear a darn thing, I'm deaf as a post and my back hurts for some reason.":D

While we love Harry for his quotes and for being the maverick who doesn't follow the "rules" or accepted reason, and still gets the badguys in the end, Harry wasn't a "gun guy".

Now, perhaps he learned a thing or two over the years, but knowing Harry, it would only be the things he wanted to learn...

He carried the .44 mag S&W because it was the biggest, most powerful thing he could get. And sometimes the biggest, most powerful thing you can get is really not the best choice.

Harry's choice for a countersniper rifle in the original film was a .458 Win Mag. Scorpio actually escapes because of the recoil of the .458 keeping Harry from a fast second & third shot.

Today, unless there was some other plot twist added in, Harry would have probably put the Auto Mag back in the box, when he was able to replace it with another S&W .44 Mag. Not a real gun guy, but definitely a revolver guy, by choice. And I seriously doubt he would get one with a built in lock!

NO GLOCK, ever.

Even though Harry is "dirty" for not following the rules, I still can't see him failing to follow department policy in his use of a duty weapon. Liability of the department in that matter just can't be overlooked. I can see him using non-issued ammunition which would pack more of a wollop since ammo isn't visibly seen by his superiors.

Didn't he say in the 2nd movie, that he shot 44 SPLs at times - at the range?

I go for a Glock 20 with the extended barrel and the loads that the Norwegians developed for polar bears. They carry it as backup for rifles.

Lots of polar bears in SF.

What is "the most powerful handgun in the World"? Kind of funny, I was thinking about this very topic a couple of days ago.:D

One thing you would never see Harry carrying would be a Glock.
“This is the Glock 34, the most powerful synthetic Tupperware 9mm in the world, do you feel lucky punk, well do yea!”
P.S. I do like and own Glocks

Harry: The question you have to ask yourself is did I shoot 5 or 6?

Perp: I gots to know, man, I gots to know!

Harry: Points and "Click"

Hehehehe

My favorite part of my favorite movie!

Mel

Since he only shot 44spl from that gun, I dont think he would go with anything bigger.
Why bother? He did plenty good with it the way it was.

Also note that Harry almost always only used one hand on his gun, and that while he fired rapidly, it was seldom really fast.

And, while he does say he uses "light special loads" he's on the range at the time, and its unclear (to me, anyway) if he means all the time, or just on the range.

Having given the matter further thought, I think the most likely answer to "what would Dirty Harry use today?" would be....

The S&W model 29! (big surprise, right?)

In the last movie, he had a model 29 again. Either he got another one, or maybe got some police diver friend to find his where it went off the pier in Sudden Impact. Either way, he uses the 29 in the last film.

SO, I'd say he's most likely to still use it. After all, its probably not worn out...

Lawyer lock?....

I wonder what a S&W fan like Harry would say about the newer DA revolvers with security locks. :rolleyes:
Would he say those are for cops who work in Personnel?

:D

So, back when that film was released, the 629 looked impressive, but manageable. It was not a world apart from a .357 revolver in size and it was the barrel that caught the eye.

Well, "A 357 magnum is a good weapon, but I've seen 38's bounce off of windshieds. No good in a city like this," after all.

I always wondered about Magnum Force where he says he uses a light Special for controllability. It isn't clear whether he meant all the time or on the range, but being that he also "seems" to mean if he had a .357 then "38's" would bounce off the windshield. I'm starting to wonder how tough he really was with all this advocating of the lesser ammo :D

I'd say these days, he would go with a model 57 in .41 magnum with full loads, being that in his later age and modern windshields, a light 44 Special might also bounce off while not being as harsh as a true 44 Magnum on his old hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back