What to do when you see someone pulling a NFA "dumbass"?

Yeeahh, walk away from those guys. Don't touch their wares, don't show any interest, don't drop no dimes. MYOB and keep walking. Might be a sting, might be someone who is ignorant of the laws.

There's enough fun to be had in legal weapons, who need bad NFA crap?

In the USAS-12 scenario, is it a violation of the law to purchase the parts set - not the receiver, just the parts set? I have a registered USAS-12 and I could see where I'd be very tempted to just buy the parts.

I don't think the USAS parts are controlled. Just like a Bren parts kit or a Sterling kit. The receiver is the gun, legally.

In the few years after my encounter with the guy and his suspicious USAS deal, I have started to wonder... If it were really a agent/cop trying to set someone up, how would he have reacted if I told him I would trade for his parts and he could keep his illegal receiver.

Skans: How come the BATFE didn't make the arrest - local cop had to do it?

Well, from the linked article it appears the officer who observed him made the arrest. ATF probably wasn't there, but interviewed later.

There are not as many BATF folks around as you might think. Like LEO's everywhere they are understaffed (despite what the web says). It's usually a local who makes a case like that and then picks up the phone and calls the feds. They can then elect to either let the State file the charges or pick the case up for Federal prosecution. Depending on the circumstances and the guys history, those kind of cases will usually, not always, stay at the State level. Now, if the guy is manufacturing and selling the things or he has a lengthly felony record, the Feds would probably take the case.

A lot depends on the Federal district and how aggressive they are. YMMV

A friend of mine is sure ATF was there.

I think a dealer at the show saw the rifle, alerted the onsite sheriff and the sheriff called ATF to verify the violation and then arrested the man. But that's what I think. Can't confirm that from the wonderful job of reporting since it's more hyperbolas than facts. Still trying to figure out the short barreled assault rifle part. No indication that it was fully automatic as well. I'd think the ATF is more concerned about that than being too short.

I usually just send them an e-mail that says something to the effect of "it's hard to be sure from that picture, but it looks like that might be in violation of [insert law]. If I were you I would temporarily remove the ad and check to be sure it is not."

There are not as many BATF folks around as you might think. Like LEO's everywhere they are understaffed (despite what the web says). It's usually a local who makes a case like that and then picks up the phone and calls the feds. They can then elect to either let the State file the charges or pick the case up for Federal prosecution.

True.

About 10 years or so ago, a local gunsmith in a very small town in northern AZ was making illegal MAC 10s. What got him was that he was test firing them out in nearby places (lots of BLM land around) and attracted "attention."

The County Sheriffs made the arrest, called BATF and were told that they had no interest in the case and go ahead and prosecute locally.

The guy was prosecuted, but received a minimal sentence and lost a rather large gun collection as a result.

There are not as many BATF folks around as you might think. Like LEO's everywhere they are understaffed (despite what the web says).

In 1993, approximately 764 ATF Inspectors and 1,660 Agents monitored 282,000 FFLs. Today, 771 Inspectors and 2,441 Agents monitor 60,201 FFLs. Source.

In relative terms, ATF has increased their manpower by approximately 33% at a time when the number of people they were watching shrunk by over 67%.

As far as NFA "dumbass" moments go, I don't see it as meddling or nosy to point out to someone that they are doing something that could earn them a minimum 5 years in a federal prison. I am not going to call the ATF if they ignore my advice; but I know I would much rather a fellow shooter give me a heads up if I was ignorant about something than get one from an ATF agent right before I get arrested.

gyvel said,
...a local gunsmith in a very small town in northern AZ was making illegal MAC 10s...

....called BATF and were told that they had no interest in the case and go ahead and prosecute locally....

That surprises the heck out of me. I would have thought ATF would be all over a guy making multiple illegal machine guns.

Was he selling them also?

That surprises the heck out of me. I would have thought ATF would be all over a guy making multiple illegal machine guns.

Was he selling them also?

That part was unclear to me; I believe he was making them for his own use.

partially on subject...

go to you tube some time and type in homemade silencer...there are all sorts of videos of people making crude silencers out of bottles and even some more elaborate ones...I realize some of these people may have filled out the forms and paid the tax, but i highly doubt all of them did. Many were made of what looks like bottles and electrical tape, unlikely a $200 bottle...

All the ones I watched users were still active and making comments on thier videos so I wouldnt assume anything was ever done about it...I saw several comments from people who appear to be knowledgeable in NFA items, but couldnt find any comments from OP's replying to them...

10 min on the internet could probably turn up quite a few easily trackable violations...interesting at least i think in regards to enforcement...

Other than the aforementioned youtube idiots I have not seen much in the way of blatant dum dum.
Mostly its folks having a weapon on a table with a short barrel for sale and not stating its NFA on the sign- I can sorta understand that but it makes me look which is the intent of advertising I reckon.:D

I look at it this way. I don't work for BATFE. And I just don't give a dern about policing those people who violate NFA laws. What do I really care if some guy has a shotgun that is two inches too short? Or, has a stock or foregrip on his pistol? Can anyone, even law enforcement, tell me why someone else having these things should be any concern whatsoever to me?

My sentiments exactly. I don't work the for the BATFE, so what do I care. It doesn't affect me in the least.

Back