What the heck

I really thought that one would last longer, I'm really starting to think my computer has been hacked like Hillary's;)

63 Ribeyrolles 1918 automatic carbine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribeyrolles_1918_automatic_carbine
The Ribeyrolles 1918 was an attempt to manufacture an automatic rifle for the French forces. It was chambered in the experimental 8×35 mm round, used straight blow-back, was fed from a 25 round magazine and had an effective range of 400 m. The cartridge, arguably the first purpose-built intermediate cartridge, was obtained by necking it down the .351 Winchester Self-Loading.[1] Another source indicates that it was chambered in a cartridge designated 8×32 mmSR.[2]
Its official name was Carabine Mitrailleuse 1918[citation needed] (Machine Carbine 1918 in English); in a 2007 book it appears as "fusil automatique Ribeyrolles 1918".[2] The Ribeyrolles had the distinction of being fitted with a lightweight bipod on the front (which would be meant to be used as a support weapon for a group of soldiers) and a rifle bayonet identical to that of Berthier Model 1907/15.

Its a tool for a gun.
Sorry for taking so long to get back on this one.
I'm not going to tell you what it is. But I will give you a location for a movie that shows how its used and what it is used on.
A great man designed it and it was used on the production line.
This one is not an original but a copy of his original design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CLvnLgDOWs

I believe that is a Turner Light Rifle one of the submissions for the carbine competition during WW2. He submitted 2 one with a skeletal stock and air cooled leave the other with a more standard wood furniture set with a different sight set up.

Last edited:
Its a tool for a gun.
Here is another photo of John Garand's en block clip loader

Attachments

• 4  A Clip loader for the M1 Rifle.jpg
    4 A Clip loader for the M1 Rifle.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 49
sgms Good one, I have also attached a photo of his 2nd variant

1 Turner M1941 Carbine variant 1
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/light-rifle-program/turner-carbine/
Turner carbine
Russell Turner was a private inventor from Pennsylvania, and submitted this prototype to the Light Rifle trials in August of 1941. It was an unusual entrant in its use of a metal forearm and tubular metal stock (both of which were deemed unacceptable by the test committee). It was a gas operated design with a 3-position adjustable gas regulator and a piston running along the right side of the barrel. Full auto fire was enabled by turning the hex-head socket screw behind the trigger. It weight in at 4.5 pounds with a sling and 5-round magazine, with a 15.5 inch barrel and 33.9 inch OAL.
The rifle did not perform well in testing – the committee rated its general functioning as “poor”, although it did not have trouble with parts failures. Accuracy and recoil were deemed excellent, but the rain and dust tests were not very successful. The final report suggested that Mr. Turner improve the rifle and resubmit it.

Attachments

• 1   Turner M1941 Carbine variant 1.jpg
    1 Turner M1941 Carbine variant 1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 35
This one might not be so hard.
If you guess correctly then What rifle beat it to replace the Springfield 1873 Trap door.
If you have to look it up on line then your cheating on this one:p

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 75
The "Savage Military Rifle" which lost out in the 1892 military rifle trials to the Krag-Jorgenson was later tweaked and brought to market as the Savage 1895, which received one more refinement to become the famous Savage 1899 lever action rifle.

As a side note, the Krag-Jorgenson wasn't the shortest lived standard service rifle, that honor falls to the M14 which had an official lifespan of only 6 years (although it is still in service as an SDM and Sniper rifle). The Krag was replaced by the M1903 which had a 71 year service life, and the M14 was replaced with the M16, which is only in its 51st year of service.

The Savage 99 sold over a million units, making it a more successful design than the Army's order of a half million Krag 1894s.

Jimro

"The "Savage Military Rifle" which lost out in the 1892 military rifle trials to the Krag-Jorgenson..."

No. That's a commercial Savage.

It has a schnable forearm. The military prototype rifles, and Savage's later military muskets, all had full-length stocks, upper hand guards, finger grooves, and bayonet lugs.

The picture isn't very clear, but that sight appears to be the ramp adjustable Marble style sight that was available prior to World War I.

Can't tell from that angle whether the buttstock is a perchbelly or not.

The butt has obviously been cut for a recoil pad, and a particularly ill fitted one, at that.

My guess is, given the straight lever body, that it's pre World War I.

Mike Irwin,

You are correct, I thought Ozzieman was asking which variant of Savage lever rifle was beat out by the Krag, not which variant of Savage 99 was in the picture.

Jimro

The first picture is of a Despatch Recapper made by G&J.W.Hawksly. It is a tool for removing and refilling the firing cap. I'm guessing that the second picture is a priming tool.

Ulrice, very good, You got the HARD one correct and the second WRONG>:D
The original photo I removed the primer decapping pin because I felt that cheating was in order
Then I did on the second one, the second one was not a gun but a design by one of the great Tool and gun designers of the century.
Ruger Drill

If anyone sees a video of someone using one, please share.

Attachments

• 1 Ruger Drill.jpg
    1 Ruger Drill.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 2     10 bore Hawksley Despatch capper decapper.jpg
    2 10 bore Hawksley Despatch capper decapper.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 36
Back