What the heck

Many years ago I saw this gun in Popular Mechanics. Forgot the name till I came across it today.
800px-American-180.jpg

Answer's in the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50N5lQoAFw
The inventor is more well know for revolver stuff.

American Arms AR-180.

Originally designed to be used for prison guards firing, IIRC, a special down loaded .22 round.

The 180 refers to the number of rounds the pan magazine holds.

American 180, developed by Illinois Arms Company, select fire, fired the 22 ILARCO cartridge, a 22WMR case shortened to 22LR length (developed by Winchester). The magazine held 165 rounds. Cyclic rate was somewhere north of 900 rpm. It was developed in the 1980s as a replacement for the Winchester 1905s, which were very popular for use by prison guards. The 1905s were being taken out of service due to Olin announcing the end of production of 351 WSL ammo. Never caught on, and was the only firearm ever chambered for the 22 ILARCO.

"It was developed in the 1980s as a replacement for the Winchester 1905s, which were very popular for use by prison guards. The 1905s were being taken out of service due to Olin announcing the end of production of 351 WSL ammo."

Incorrect. Close, but incorrect.

The 1905 WSL rifle was chambered for the .32 and .35 WSL cartridges, both of which have serious claim on the most useless rifle cartridges ever introduced.

The Model 1907 WSL rifle was chambered in .351 WSL, a far more potent and effective cartridge, and significantly more popular, as well. It became a favorite with police and prison systems, and some were even sent to the French, who used them in limited service in World War I.

Back