What is your Preferred Martial Art and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot to tell WHY I picked these, doh

Well Tae Kwon Do, was my first style I worked on, and it taught basic foot work, blocking high and low attacks while moving/ countering, and how to ,"roundhouse kick", the hell out of anything 5'6 or lower. I could kick at a commanded height on call at 12 or so. My dad would work with me in the yard in the grass by placing his hand at a different heights and I was expected to kick to the commanded height, with as much force as my little body could muster. By the time I got proficient, dad got tired of me damn near breaking his hand:D. Boxing is a no brainer, as I wanted to punch as hard as I could kick. I know physically impossible, but I like the idea...Last when I turned about 16, and had a few scraps under my belt, I realized 90% of the fights that did not end decisively with the first blows, tended to go to the ground. Makes sense to be able to unlock, and lock different,'grapples", and throws...Hapkido is sweet but takes a while to become proficient at it. The Brazilian Jiujitsu is all about,"less flash, and more kick ass":D ...I have a very limited knowlege of basic throws too. What can I say, since I could walk I was a belligerent, bellicose, little SOB;).

Spent the better part of my life studying Martial Arts. I have studied many different styles and have taught for over 10 years. What I have come to realize is that once someone starts placing definitives on anything, they have lost their way. Saying that any style is superior over another is absolutely ridiculous, Shotokan is widely thought of as one of the most ineffective combat styles of Martial Arts...I have had the privilege of studying with Ozawa...when alive, I would have dared anyone to enter into a life and death match with him. Also, Tae Kwon Do is far from a cookie cutter style, if you have that impression, then you have not spent any time examining the style...I have known some men who had relied on that style in real combat and have taken lives using it, most people think that TKD is kicking and yelling, "those in the know" would be experienced with the arm and joint locks, throws, grappling, chops and tearing techniques that make it a truley formidable art. I have spent time in Krav Maga, to me it was more useful as a conditioning class than a fighting class...though I am not knocking the style at all, many of the people in the class were very competent fighters. I am really impressed with the Mixed MA stuff that is gaining popularity, though I have noticed some very important weakness, many times there wasn't enough time to exploit them. By far, my favorite styles were the traditional Chinese Kung (Gung) Fu, the Forms or Sets were extremely enjoyable to perform. Hung Gar is usually combined with Choy Li Fut to create a really formidable style and it is really fun to learn. Wow...sorry for the long post.

sorry but tkd is for little kids

ridgehand strike-crap, cresent kick-crap, backfist-mostly crap, hook kick-crap. they(tae kwon do) don't even throw round house kicks with full body power and kicking to the legs is not allowed. this is one step sparring false sense of security crap. try a 3 rd smoker at my muay thai school and see if you don't have to scrap that stuff just to survive. think about this,there are probably 20,000 tae kwon do blackbelts in the us. it takes a minimum of 2-3 years to get your first belt promotion in brazillian jiu jitsu. oh yeah, and tae kwon do has 12 and 13 year olds whose mothers are dropping them off wearing the black belts the got in 2&1/2 years. that said not everyone has access to a grappling art. if you do not have bjj, judo, or a wrestling club, then a martial art is better than nothing. but let's not kid ourselves about superior arts.

topthis

it is not crazy to say one style is superior over another. go rent the very first ultimate fighting championship. they pitted exclusive style against style. royce gracie at 170 lbs used pure brazillian jiu jitsu to beat everyone. facts don't lie

Well, BJJ was king for awhile. Now if you don't have mixed martial arts, you're dead. Most great fighters have a ground game...BJJ and classic wrestling. You must also have a standing game....mui thai kickboxing or classic boxing.

I am very proficient in basic BJJ, but my stand up is in need of work. I say "basic" BJJ because there's much to learn still. I actually trained with the "Gracie revolution" here in Kalifornia from 1998-2000. I say basic because if I told them I was really good, they would tear me to shreds. :)

it is not crazy to say one style is superior over another. go rent the very first ultimate fighting championship. they pitted exclusive style against style. royce gracie at 170 lbs used pure brazillian jiu jitsu to beat everyone. facts don't lie

It may be crazy only to a certain extent.

Mui Thai vs BJJ: who wins?

Depends on if the fight hit the ground or not.

However you are mostly right porkskin... Most martial arts are worthless in real life..many others only work sometimes in certain situations. :)

i personal have studdied wing tsun, aikido and kenjutsu, i dinked around with bjj and a couple of other kungfu styles.

of thoose the one that will teach you to defend yourself the best was wing tsun. we learned a lot of eye-gouges and other "cheap shots" on top of normal strikes and low kicks. from what i seen of krav maga there are a few similarities. wing tsun also tends to be very close range.

aikido is more complex you can definately defend your self with it if you are good enough but gaining the nessacay ballance and feeling to perform the techuniques can take a long time.

from my experince with bjj i would have to say it is a great 1 on 1 art but if theyguy you are rolling around with has a friend to start kicking your head in while you are on the ground with the other guy you are screwed. not saying it's a bad art just pointing out limitations.

mixed martial arts from my experince seem to focus on over powering an opponent with strength and stamina. they tend for focus on a cage style UFC type of fighting with rules (no biting, no groin strikes, no kicking on the ground) i found that limiting from a self denese aspect.

so in my opinion if you want a sport Judo/bjj, karate, TKD, MMA are the way to go (bjj and MMA being more useful in a fight of the 4 IMO)

if you want to achive enlightenment and be an awsome fighter in about 10-20yrs learn aikido, tai ji, trditional kungfu

to learn to defend yourself i would sugest Wing tsun, kali, Krav maga or some other art that teaches you to fight to live, since unless it's a life or death situation you shouldn't be fighting anyway

I have studied quite a few different styles and the one thing I got from all of them is YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY SPAR AND FIGHT!

Someone could spend years of studying and it be worthless if they have never actually taken a real punch. I would put a boxer against pretty much anyone in most situtations because they actually get hit. Kickboxing is a good way to do this since you spend time sparring and not dancing around doing kata's. If I ever get into it again then I am not going to go to a school that has a "moves checklist" that you need to complete to get belts. I will look for some place that does ground fighting and a lot of sparring.

Anthony must be seeking tranquility.

Of late I believe the martial art that is going to be very avaliable to persons is the Dan Inosanto groups. I like all of them they are very good and give lots of information. You must follow it up at a school that teachs it of else use home videos.

Check it out at MNKALI.com good stuff. Rick Faye is very good.

Harley

I've been studying Aikido for about eight years. I still have lot to learn, but it's already useful.

My class is less formal than the traditional schools and we do work with the idea of what is practical over what is "artful." We have also picked up a few techniques from other arts as new students joined the class with experience in other forms.

Whatever works.

Jeeper +1 Sparring is definitely key. In actual physical combat for your life you will not remember anything, instinct and, hopefully, training takes over. You need sparring to put this in the spot in our brain that will help you in fight. This will allow you to act without thinking, it has happened to me and it still amazes me. Also I forgot to add that Krav Maga is good because it includes many disarming drills (vs. gun/Knife) and it also has a ground moves.

Someone could spend years of studying and it be worthless if they have never actually taken a real punch.
+2. If you keep it all theoretical, but never try your hand at the actual thing, you may as well have done something else with your time. The sparring is where it all comes together and becomes real. It's where you train your instincts so that when the SHTF, you don't have to spend half your time thinking about how to react at each new swing. In a fight between your typical martial artist and a boxer, both being of roughly equal training, I too would put my money on the boxer. He is going to know how to fight instinctively, and how to take a hit.

brazillian jiu-jitsu features sparing on the ground with ACTIVE resistance every class. no mc dojo can come close with their "one-step" girlie point sparring.

i use to love sparring. i have had my left shoulder dislocated and my left knee. i just did not want to give up, then i tapped.:(

when i would teach self defense or rape prevention you would feel like it was happening. i would teach them first that what ever you learn if not practice is useless. some would freeze, but after a while when i attacked them they would just react and kick me in the b***!. i had a cup but it still hurt. the parents thought i was too rough with their kids. when their kids were attacked once then one of the parents came in an told me thanks.

They're all crap.

I challenge any of you to go down to your local zoo and get in the cage with a gorilla or a lion. Any of you who can apply kotegaeshi to a gorilla or can kick-box a lion off you...leave the planet, YOU'RE NOT HUMAN.

The reason you're helpless against them is STRENGTH. Until gene therapy arrives, and you can take a gorilla-muscle-gene pill that alters your musculature/skeletal structure in a few months (without the side effects...protruding brow, 20" inseam pants, sudden cravings for banana cream pie...etc.), martial arts are just a waste of time...for defensive purposes.

For the amount of time expended you get a tiny comparative advantage against other humans. Which is the reason guns are so popular around the world...for minimum expenditure of money, time, and energy you gain a huge advantage against other humans. Until they get their own. Hence, war.

All funnin' aside, martial arts are FUN. But the outcome of any real fight would depend not so much on one's particular art, but on one's physical attributes (reflex speed, athleticism/coordination/agility, etc.) and mental fortitude...and CHANCE.

the analogy with animals makes no sense. martial arts were developed for use agianst humans. your hand gun (unless you regularly carry a 454 casull or 500 s&w magnum) is not likely to kill a lion very well either should no one cary a side arm?

of course martial arts are not a substitute for a gun

as for martialarts taking a lot of time thats true. i'm not claiming that by taking xyz martialart you will be able to kick everyone in te worlds ass. you will definately have a better chance at surviving an attack. you mention
any real fight would depend not so much on one's particular art, but on one's physical attributes (reflex speed, athleticism/coordination/agility, etc.) and mental fortitude
in the martial arts i have practiced the techniques and forms were designed to develop theese skill. since i started martial arts every one of the things you mention have improved from before i started learning martial arts.

Banana Creme Pie, that's good.

Bananas, are especially good now that you mention it. The neanderthal was a very robust guy I wonder if he liked Bananas?

I believe to spar with the idea that making contact and checking out your chin is very foolish. Look at the good to great fighters that spar and really don't know if they can take a punch, foolish if you are looking for injury. Some contact is fine, but being in good physcial shape is the best.

I disgust (sp on purpose) this with someone the other day at the dojo. In the service they never asked me to take a bayonet thrust to the stomach to see if I could handle it, or a butt stroke to the face to see if I would be able to get up. Some contact is fine but we need to be in shape first so that you can go the 5 minutes it takes to get you through the fight rather than being out of shape and not completing it.

Harley

ivve been studying dim-mak (death point striking) for 3 years now and i must say if your looking for something to incapacitate someone as well as daily excercises i would recomend this but as i am quite a noob at the art i would expect you to take my opinion with a grain of salt:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back