What is the LEAST likely place in the US

I read that if Yellowstone erupts (and they think it can be like anyday now) that pretty much everything to the East would be destroyed...millions killed...of course there are worse ways to die...right?

If Rainier erupts, there goes Northern Idaho...no place is safe folks...remember this: everyone gotta die someday.

+1 for Tennessee, east Tennessee that is. West of Nashville you have to worry about that ticking time bomb known as the New Madrid Fault.

Over here in east TN we only have the occasional small earthquake (5.0 or less, about once every 20 years ... nothing to worry about). Tornadoes do happen but they are pretty rare compared to the Midwest. Hurricanes that hit the Gulf Coast are only tropical storms by the time they get here. Flooding can be a concern sometimes in the valleys, but if you live on a mountain as I do, no problem!

No state income tax and handgun permits are shall-issue, too. I guess I better shut up before everyone moves here :cool:

Actually, I think we all pretty much cash it in if Yellowstone erupts. One scientist said survivors world wide would be measured in the thousands.

Uh, Northern Idaho is west of Yellowstone, not east....

I know this is cheating but MSN just posted this today...

http://www.slate.com/id/2126321/?GT1=6900

and this...

http://www.fema.gov/library/images/dd-1964_gif.html

Besides, you can live your life in some desolate hell hole and die of boredom or live in much more desirable places. Of course you will need to take the proper safety precautions and buy lots of insurance.

We got brushed by Katrina when she was a little catagory 1 storm and are about to get smacked by Rita in the next 2 days. Miami has been lucky and has not gotten nailed by anything big since Andrew in 1992. Even then, it passed to the South of Miami and did most of its damage in the less populated areas. I'm hoping our luck holds out but I'm putting up my shutters anyways.

Here is the final verdict according to Slates which was taken from the link in the previous post...

After much debate, then, we settled on Slate's "America's Best Place to Avoid Death Due to Natural Disaster": the area in and around Storrs, Conn., home to the University of Connecticut. It lies in Tolland County, which was not part of the 1999 federal disaster declaration for Tropical Storm Floyd. It's a safe 50 miles from the sound and not close to any rivers. It also has relatively easy access to a major city (Hartford) in the event an evacuation or hospitalization becomes necessary.*

East of the Mississippi how about upstate Pennsylvania, eastern Kentucky or maybe West Virginia? You've just got to pisk your ground for protection from tornadoes and floods.

West of the Mississippi I would think that one of the mesas just south of the Permian Basin would be a pretty settled place except for wind damage. If you built an earth sheltered house that wouldn't be a problem.

Actually, where I am right now (Northern Ga) isn't all that bad. Not too cold, far enough from the coast so that the tropical stuff isn't that bad (a whole bunch better than back home in Houston), not as many twisters as back home in Tx, either. No quakes. Light snow only. Ok, there's ice storms, but not all that bad. If you get a ways away from Atlanta you should be beneath the terrorists' radar. The fishing and hunting isn't bad at all, and the state is RKBA friendly.

If the supervolcano in Yellowstone erupts, Oregon will not be ok, Indiana will not be ok. The dust/ash cloud alone will cover the entire world and plunge us into the equivalent of nuclear winter.

As for the Idaho....East thing? That's what I get for reading posts after I've been up for about 28 straight hours.

...as for me, I live in Southern California...where there are dangers like: earthquakes, fires, mudslides, smog...really bad smog, gangs, freeway shootings, high speed chases, etc...what a wonderful place to live...well, at least Disneyland is here right? :p
Doesn't that make it all better? :rolleyes:

Well I figure I will be looking to check out around the Reno and Carson city area in NV or some thing similar. Biggest little city in the country lots of country and when you want action go in for a weekend and then head for the barn.
Shoot to your hearts content and be able to breath fresh air. :D

Time is right, infact I am going to go there over oct 1,2,3,4.

Harley

Don't assume the desert states don't flood. That ground doesn't soak up a lot of water. And they may only get 7" of rain a year, but it tends to all come on one day. Flash flooding is a serious problem in those states.

One of the biggest suprises to me when I first moved to AZ was the flash floods, but I don't think they are the state's worst problem.
I would say there's anything dangerous about Arizona, it would be more of the intense heat that averages 115 degrees in the summer with even the evening temperatures staying in the 90s. Hell,(no pun intended) It's almost 6pm here and it's still 100 degrees as I type this. The humidity can also get high here too which makes it even more dangerous and uncomfortable. Don't believe that the desert is always a dry heat. Definately something that can kill people who aren't physically capable of handling it or who don't have good shelter,cooling systems, water.

But I'll take the heat over those freezing winters anytime. :)

Back