What is the LEAST likely place in the US

North Dakota

Actually, North Dakota houses nuclear silos, so it may not be the safest place to be when the SHTF. However, after getting used to that cold weather and the wind, DEATH won't seem so bad.

You know the jihadists won't go there, though. If the cold doesn't stop them, which it no doubt will, the prospect of blowing themselves up to kill only 4 or 5 disinterested locals at the truck stop won't motivate them to meet Allah.

Of course, to gain this tactical advantage, you have to actually go to North Dakota.

~Ichiro

Nobody's mentioned North Carolina. I'm in NW NC, a couple miles from Stone Mountain, and only a few more from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It'll have to be a hell of a flood to get me. Not that big of a population to be a worthy terrorist target. Mild enough winters that for the past 2 years I've ridden my motorcycle to work year round. Hurricanes don't give us much more than a little rain. Tornadoes touch down once in a while, but are rare, and seem to like chicken houses better than people houses. :)
Plenty of wild game in case of the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario.
I'd say the biggest threat around here is the occasional house fire. Fires claim more life and property here than any natural disaster.

The Mojave Desert!! I don't care how safe that place may be...I just spent 30 days there...and that was my third rotation to the National Training Center at Ft. Irwin, I hope beyond hope that I never have to go back. In all honesty...Iraq was better on many ways.

Bear with me; I just had to look this up:

"The Geographic Center of North America lies in the town of Rugby, ND. It's marked by a rock obelisk, about 15 feet tall, flanked by poles flying the US and Canadian flags. It is a monument easily missed, standing as it does in the parking lot of the Rugby Conoco station." :eek:

"Whether it’s waterfowl, upland game or big game, we’ve got it. Rugby offers these sportsmen – and women – a perfect base of operations as they plan their excursions. Fishing is a popular sport year-around..." :D

Average temperatures during winter months are (Fahrenheit): December 10.9, January 5.9, February 12.2. Cold for sure, but at least there's ice-fishing...

Population: 3,991

~Ichiro

good heavens, don't think about alaska.
earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanos, blizzards, avalanches, zombie-eating-bears, senator ted stevens, the list of potential disasters is endless!

oh yeah don't forget dog-eating-eagles.

The moon. Nothing much has happened there in centuies... well, except that brief spate of illegal immigrents in the late 60's and early 70's! :p

Minnesota is a decent option. Like every state, it's got fairly unique wildlife and scenery (three distinct biomes here!) and the hunting and fishing is usually excellent. The Boundary Waters area is a sight to behold.

Politically, Minnesota is increasingly conservative. Minneapolis/St. Paul does not dominate the state like Chicago does Illinois, and the decline of blue-collar jobs coupled with the growth of jobs that require high education (big medical names like Medtronic and St. Jude, stuff like 3M, Best Buy, Northwest, etc) and offer higher pay means even the city itself is decreasingly liberal (everyone hates taxes). Still, our government handouts remain notoriously generous. With the exception of blind, idealistic college students, crazy liberalism in Minnesota died with Paul Wellstone. You'd still have to put up with the occasional government blunder, though.

Weather here is wacky. There's a huge annual temperature range. In the summers it's almost unbearably hot--80s and 90s and HUMID. In the (increasingly mild) winters, it can be anywhere from 35 to, well, there is no bottom I guess. Snowfall is unfortunately light these days, and huge blizzards are usually followed by increased temperatures, melting away what fell. Snow still stays on the ground in Northern Minnesota, though. Tornados and flooding happen in mostly contained, avoidable areas. Same goes for our #1 terrorist target (Mall of America, in Bloomington).

One side-effect of the weather is that once you get used to it (I'm a native), you might hate everything else. Constant sunny days really bother me. You also like the cold. It's 70 degrees right now, which is at the very high end of my 'tolerable' zone. I like between 40 and 60. Fortunately, it's on the way!

Also, real, native Minnesotans are chilly, quiet people. You won't encounter many in the cities, though (I swear everyone here is from Wisconsin). Something to keep in mind. It's a great place, just don't tell everyone :). It already seems too crowded.

the moon? the moon gets hit by meteors all the time, has a lot of earthquakes and when it rotates so your house is on the dark side of the moon you better have a lot of blankets with you.

basically no place is safe in a shtf situation but then that depends on what you consider a shtf situation. nuclear war, worldwide earthquakes, volcanoes erupting, ice caps melting, ozone holes with radiation shining down, the dead looking for live human brains, vampires roaming at night, werewolves hunting during the full moon, alien invasions all happening at once??? nowhere would be safe.

Kilroy08,

The original poster was only talking about natural disasters in the United States. So, I answered that way. Of course a nuclear reactor accident in NJ or refinery accident in Delaware City wouldn't be a good thing, but they're from man-made facilities.

And since we were keeping the answers to the US only, the Island of Fiji (South Pacific Ocean), and Djabouti (Eastern Africa) aren't valid. Besides, Djibouti is a desert country and very arid/dry. Fiji might have tsunami issues. Might be nice places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. :)

I still say Delaware. Just bring your inhalers and allergy medicine!

PA is pretty quiet

No "big" weather here. No earthquakes. Winters are usually pretty harmless. Out in the rural areas, farmland can be found for less than $2000 an acre.

North Idaho

The panhandle of Idaho doesn't shake, flood, no volcanos, not many trees left to burn down in a forest fire, snow pack is declining, not many tourists, neonazis, (a fair number of redneck leftists).... the bark beatle may be the biggest natural threat.

Actually, some scientists are saying Yellowstone could have a major eruption that would destroy most of the entire northwest, including Wyoming.

I would guess West Virginia, Kentucky, Arizona, would be pretty safe states as far as not any natural disasters.
Kentucky is certainly not since New Madrid Fault Line runs through the western part of the state. There's a 25% chance of a 7.5 or greater earthquake by 2040. In 1811-12, there were a series of huge earthquakes along the fault line. The Mississippi River actually flowed backwards!

Back