What is the best gun acquisition you have made?

Pond James Pond

I know there have been threads like this before, but this is not about which you shoot best or was the bet value (although it may be). This is about which handgun you are most pleased with having acquired.

It may be because it was great value, had sentimental significance, has turned you into a shooting god, or even was the gun that you had when you needed it most. The reasons why are for you to decide and, hopefully, explain.
I just want to know which one makes you think "Thank zeus I was there when that became available, lest I might have missed getting it and thus failed as a human being!!"

Pictures are, of course, welcome!!

I'll start, although hypocritically without a picture.

My 4.2" Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag. I just love it. Whatever I am shooting, it always comes with me even for just a couple of cylinders. I love the look, feel, performance and it makes me feel a bit less vulnerable in the dark, dark woods of Estonia!! I also got it for a song (If €620 can ever be called a song).

It just rocks in every conceivable way!

Over to you.

Attachments

• RH 1.JPG
    RH 1.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,061
Last edited:
I could say that about a lot of my guns, as several of them have held that distinction. At least for a time. :)

My most recent is a Browning HiPower in Silver Chrome I got from a guy that didn't quite know what he had. Both the sweetness of the gun itself and the price make it outstanding.

So far, my S&W K22. It wasn't in its original condition when I purchased it (the grips had been changed, but the new ones are very nice), but it has served two very important purposes. The DA trigger pull has drastically improved my accuracy in all respects, and it was my first revolver. It would be one of the last ones I would ever give up if I ever run into financial difficulties.

My favorites change all the time though, and sometimes I even revert back to favoring an old gem in my safe that hasn't gotten much loving in a while.

Pond said:
I know there have been threads like this before, but this is not about which you shoot best or was the bet value (although it may be). This is about which handgun you are most pleased with having acquired.

It may be because it was great value, had sentimental significance, has turned you into a shooting god, or even was the gun that you had when you needed it most. The reasons why are for you to decide and, hopefully, explain.
I just want to know which one makes you think "Thank zeus I was there when that became available, lest I might have missed getting it and thus failed as a human being!!"

I have two that I would put on this list.

The first is the CZ-75BD that I picked up as one of the first handguns I ever bought. Around here, they are nowhere to be found in stores, and not that many available on the used market. I didn't even really know what I was getting myself into, but from the moment I held it in my hand, I knew that it was the gun I wanted. The M&P, XD, 92, and SR9 I had looked at before just kinda didn't exist anymore. I think I paid about $485 after taxes, and don't regeret the price a bit.

The second is my S&W Model 19-3 4" barrel. It definitely falls into the "Thank Zeus I was there." In this case, I found it on Armslist from a dealer. I emailed about it, and made what I thought was a borderline lowball offer (I think it was $350 shipped to my FFL). He accepted, saying it had been sitting in his case for too long, and wanted it out. It had some serious holster wear, but was mechanically perfect.

The CZ is one of my larger carry guns, and I gave the Model 19 to my wife as a bedside gun, since it is her favorite out of my collection: Her words when she shot it the first time "This one is mine now."

Last edited:
Tie between my CZ 75bd or my 97b. The latter is my 'dream' gun. I really enjoy my P01 too but it's more of a daily utility tool.

Sig X-Five Competition. I'm usually in the camp that "practice, practice practice makes the better shooter". But, for me, the Sig X-Five makes me a better shooter. What an unbelievable difference!

That's a tough one but if I had to choose one handgun purchase that has surpassed my expectations......????? The Walther PPQ. It is the only polymer handgun I hold in the same regards as the 1911 in ease of accurate shoot ability. Its also reliable, light weight, tuff and not ammo fussy. This is the gun and platform I want to buy in all calibers like 45acp and 10mm because its so good and easy to shoot. This is the gun that put ALL my other polymer guns on a second tier level.

PPQrange.jpg

Last edited:
my Ruger single-six .32mag. I long regretted not buying a new one when they came out and it was the last gun on my bucket list.

Dunno if it is the "best" one, but it is the one that came to mind, of a few favorites, when I read the OP. Colt SAA 2nd gen New Frontier 44spl. Reading Elmer's stuff 50 years ago made me want one of these bad. Finally, about 15 years ago, I found this near mint piece.

Attachments

• SAA44spl.jpg
    SAA44spl.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 56
It's two pairs and a set of handguns for me,,,

A few years ago I decided I wanted a Wonder-Nine,,,
After a lot of test firing guns at my range,,,
I decided on a CZ-75B in 9mm.

After I made the decision to buy one of these beauties,,,
I decided to pull the trigger and order a CZ-75B Kadet pistol in .22 as well,,,
I'm so glad that I did it when I did it because CZ has discontinued the sales of the Kadet pistol.

czechs2.jpg

Same thing when I stumbled on a Beretta Model 85BB Cheetah in .380 ACP,,,
Owning that pistol gave me the itch for a Model 87 Cheetah in .22 LR,,,
So I bit the bullet and ordered a new Model 87 from Beretta,,,
Within a year of me doing so they stopped selling them,,,
Again, I'm glad I purchased mine when I did.

berettas.jpg

Last but not least was when I decided to put together my "Harem",,,
Four stainless S&W revolvers in four frame sizes and calibers,,,
I already had a Model 629 so I needed a 686, 67, & 63,,,
I bought the three within 4 months of each other,,,
Total price for them was less than $1,200.00.

harem.jpg

Basically I snuck in just under the wire,,,
I barely purchased them before the madness started,,,
I would be lucky to get any two of them for that price nowadays.

None of these ladies are safe queens,,,
I take them out dancing as often as possible,,,
The personal joy I get from owning these beauties is immense.

If I would have waited even a year to get these guns,,,
They would have been unavailable or priced way too high for me.

Aarond

Although I didn't know it at the time, my best deal was probably a late-'50s S&W Model 29. It looked like Dirty Harry's trade-in, with 95%-98% finish, and mechanically tight. Some bozo had apparently tried to remove the cylinder by hitting the face of it with a ball peen hammer, so there were three depressions, one distorting a chamber throat, so I sold the gun for the $350 I'd paid for it (20 years ago). I wish I'd just left it in the safe, and worked on replacing the cylinder.
My current star is a circa 1984, Colt Lightweight Commander that came with a nice trigger job performed on Wilson Combat components, that I got on gunbroker for $485, 10-12 years ago. I'd passed on a number of pre-Series 80 Commanders in middling condition, priced between $650-$750, so the minty S80, not bubba'd in any way, seemed a steal.

Smith & Wesson .32 ACP auto, complete with original (although poor condition) box, and original owner's name.

People will laugh at me but mine is a Walther P22. I know they have a reputation for not running but with a suppressor mine runs great even on cheep ammo. Its not the most accurate gun I own and no wear near the most powerful but it is one of, if not the most fun to shoot and it was super cheep. The closest other gun I own is a Glock 33 in 357 sig (also a 40 adapter for it) It is small and very fun to shoot.

For me it is my Ed Brown Kobra Carry...I handled one of them at my LGS about 5 years ago, and dreamed about it ever since. I finally saved enough to get one a few months ago...this one is on the do not sell list, unless things get really bad!!

694MEfbhQnMHdLo7bNeXVx

I have trouble using superlatives for MY stuff, when I have to draw from a pool of many... Or, to say that another way -- ask me this same question every day for a week and you may have 6 or 7 different answers by the end of the week! :p All answers would be valid.

Here's my knee-jerk answer for today... no less true than it would be if I answered with a different one tomorrow.

My Coonan Classic. I was wildly interested in the Coonan when I was a kid, but the idea of ever actually getting one wasn't something I entertained. When they re-appeared a handful of years ago, I also was in no position to spend the money on something like that.

However, life changed (radically) and I found myself in a position to do exactly that. And then... I was able to find a lightly used, one-owner gun from a really good guy who wanted to focus most of his shooting on a different gun. I got a decent deal, no manner of a "steal", but it was a fine transaction with another true gun crank. And the pistol has been pure joy over the more than two thousand rounds I've put through it thus far.

It also seems as though it felt even more "right" at the time to sell off another gun/project I had started in order to fund this one. It's not often at all I will sell one of my guns for almost any reason, but this just felt like the right thing to do at the time and I still have zero regret over that.

So I was able to get a "dream gun" and I was able to get one that was lightly used and pre-owned, which is (BY FAR!) my absolute favorite guns to buy. I got a great package and it's a rolling riot to shoot.

It's not the most rare gun out there, it's certainly not the prettiest thing ever made and it's not an exquisite piece of pure craftsmanship. (along the lines of a Les Baer) But it's pure fun, it's quite different than what the average person ever sees on a day to day basis and I really love it. It's runs extremely well and brings a smile to my face when I shoot it... or every time I pull it out of the safe.

I really like this topic. I may answer more than once... :D

Mystro, that's terrific shooting. I can't stand tupperware, I own two and I really only use one of them, but the stinkin' picture you posted makes me wanna shoot one of those ugly duck PPQs.

CZ75B for $300.00.
It was one of the Turkish military overruns.

I sort of kick myself for not buying a bunch of them.
But, w/my luck I would have run afoul of the BATFE for something or other.

Back