What is an excellent snubie?

The newly reintroduced .327 Federal 3" SP101 isn't a bad option for some folks:

5784.jpg

What am I missing? If the whole idea of a snubbie is something light weight, and concealable, why would you want a brick like a 3" SP 101?

I personally like, and own, the SP101 2.25" with hammer spur. I think it fits me quite well and I'm very accurate with it considering the short barrel. But, thats the thing about snubbies... there are so many to choose from that most people can find what they are looking for. :)

I am sure the Korth is as fine of a revolver as is made these days. I am sure they are of the highest quality one can get these days. The problem for me, and a great many others is that they are not affordable. I am not saying that they are not fine guns. Rolex makes a fine watch. I can not afford one on the salary that I make these days.

Last edited:
If you're talking new production, the Kimber K6s.

I bought 4 revolvers in the last 6 months.

S&W 442, because it was on sale for $360 and now I have one of each color (also have a 642). Barrel was under clocked. Went back to S&W and they fixed it.

S&W 640 Pro, because I was jonesing for a K6 but didn't trust Kimber's track record. Lower flutes showed tool marks, and after a trip to the range the frame showed gas cutting and a crack. Went back to S&W and they fixed it. I'm done with new guns from S&W.

Colt Cobra, to keep the wife happy. I have to hide purchases from her, because when she sees them she says "is that for me?". Honestly, I don't see what all the complaints are about. It's a fine shooting gun. If you don't like the bead blasted frame, you can polish it and it looks like the old ones.

Kimber K6S (2"). I broke down and bought one. This is the gun I should have bought first. Quality gun with a great trigger. I carry it a lot. I'm going to get a 3" version too.

Looking for a high quality snubie (oxymoron?) as a carry wheel gun and I'm not going the S&W way.

Then you've likely never handled or shot a S & W Pre - Model 10:

Like others have said, quality has nothing to do with barrel length. Smoth and Wesson makes excellent revolvers. I have a model 60 that is my favorite revolver.

Like others have said, quality has nothing to do with barrel length.
Nor does it relate to exorbitant prices due to name, and status symbol. S&W, Riger, and Charter make very serviceable, reliable revolvers for less than the over priced status symbol guns.

Back