What is an excellent snubie?

I own:
2 ) Charter 38spl 12oz
1) Charter 44spl Bulldog
1) S&W 340PD 357mag
1) Ruger LCR357
1) Taurus 605 357mag

I like the Ruger LCR357 best

I have both a Detective Special and a Cobra. The aluminum frame Cobra (with the hammer shroud) is a regular pocket carry when wearing a winter coat.

I like a Cheif’s Special too, but if S&W is out these are even finer.

I own a number of S&W snubbies and the easiest to carry is my 340PD. That said, I carry a Kimber K6S much of the time. That extra shot may be worth it's weight in gold.

Matt_Whitfield_holster_zps1nii7xz0.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly though, what do you mean by quality? A good trigger, reliable ignition and good snubnose accuracy? Or does also need to be pretty? Frankly a Charter gives all those things except the museum piece aesthetics. They’re not ugly, they just don’t sparkle like a jewel. The new ones are excellent and they have the best customer service in the business.
Kimber, Ruger, S&W all make excellent snubs too. I guess if you want a safe queen or you are in an income bracket that you want a $2000 gun on your hip as a status symbol, get a Korth. I’ve shot one. Trigger was no better than a S&W and worse than a Kimber K6 and worse than a Ruger LCR. But knock yourself out.
My American made truck gets me to the same place at the same time in relatively the same amount of comfort that some else’s Rolls Royce does for them. Their choice i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...not available in the US..." It is from Nighthawk Custom as the Korth Mongoose model. Starts at $3500USD.
"...it mistimed several times..." Revolver do not "mistime" unless they're damaged.
There are all kinds of short barreled revolvers available that are not made by Smith. Better you go find a used Smith M19 or 66 though. Put Pachmayr grips on it.

I own:

1) Charter Arms Undercoverette 32 magnum
1) Charter Arms 44spl Bulldog
1) Ruger LCR38
1) Taurus 85 38 special
1) H&R 32 magnum

I carry the Ruger LCR38 most. I prefer to carry the 44 when the weather is suitable. All of them have always gone bang every time.

Budget doesn't sound like an issue in your search....but :

A. You tried a Chiappa.....which is on nobody's short - or long list - of a quality revolver... ??

B. You're talking about considering a Korth revolver, I sure as heck would not want one that said Nighthawk on it ( I do not like anything Nighthawk makes...)...but all of the true Korths I have seen and fired were very nice guns.../ but there are not many around...but a high end broker could probably find you one...

C. J frames are one thing ..( don't fit my hands well )...but why not consider a K frame in a 2 1/2" ....either an older model 19, blued or nickel...or the model 66 in stainless...19's are harder to find, especially in Nickel...but there are still a lot of clean model 66's out there for inder $1,000 ...??

I would suggest you pick up a good model 66 ( no dash ...or a dash 1 )....and continue your search for an original Korth...or a model 19.../ or a Colt Trooper or Python ...depending on what suits you...

I still haven't heard the purpose behind the purchase. I've got a Ruger LCR in .357. It's what I would call "typical Ruger." Not as refined as its S&W/Colt/Kimber cousins, but perfectly capable and as durable as the day is long. The trigger on mine is long, but smooth, and recoil is pretty mild with .38s. It kicks quite a bit more with .357s.

Yesterday I put 100 rounds of .38 and .357 through a Kimber K6s, dot sights, black grip, satin finish.

Fit and finish is way above any other current 2" revolver.
Superior ergonomics allow for a great grip.
6 rounds where others have 5.
It has recessed cylinder chambers which result in a minimal cylinder to frame gap.
It has a remarkably smooth trigger pull which stages and the second stage is better than most SA semi-autos.
It has beveled contours all around and looks great with nothing to snag on holsters or clothing.

Expensive you say? To me it is worth every penny of the $800 street price.

BTW thanks for all the referrals to Nighhawk. I called them and I was told that they will not import the 2" under any conditions. Same with the outfit in Naples, FL. End of the Korth story.

It has recessed cylinder chambers which result in a minimal cylinder to frame gap.

And this is good how?...other than adding unnecessary metal to the cylinder which adds unnecessary weight? Serious question, just curious.

If money's no object, there's Janz.

It might make more sense to get one of the more plebian (but easily obtainable) snubby revolvers from S&W, Ruger, Taurus, etc., and pay a good smith to fancy it up exactly the way you want.

(Yes, I said Taurus.)

Well, sounds like you are going with that Kimber...with all the features you've listed, you'll also get Kimber's legendary customer service. Hope it works out for you. Rod

Back