What is an excellent snubie?

I would be cautious about carrying something I would especially not like stolen or confiscated, never to be seen again. A carry gun will have holster wear, so a show piece is just not the best choice for me. I would be very sure what I meant by "snubbie"...either a small gun or simply a short barrel, while being a bit of a boat anchor.

Last edited:
Weight says Skadoosh.

Colt Cobra, no .357 ability, weighs 25 oz.
Kimber K6s with .357 ability weighs 23 oz.

Skadoosh, go shoot this thing. ;)

rodfac says:

Well, sounds like you are going with that Kimber...with all the features you've listed, you'll also get Kimber's legendary customer service. Hope it works out for you. Rod

Thanks Rod.
And I forgot the sight radius which is far longer than any other 2" wheel gun.
BTW if I had put the same 100 rounds through a J frame my hand would be bleeding in an ice bucket.

S&W 637-2 Wyatt Deep Cover - 14 oz.
Interarms Rossi Model 88 - 25 oz.

These are my "snubbies" in what I believe is the true sense of the term. Both barrels are under 2 inches, but I grant snubbie status to anything under 3.

The Kimber K6s weighs about the same a S&W 640 Pro Series. The actual cost is also not that far apart. I own both and the Kimber does appear to be a couple of steps above the current S&W production guns. I bought it because it was different from the other half dozen snubbies I own and it was somewhat of an oddity.
After a lot of rounds fired through the Kimber, all the others have been given to my kids or sit in the back of my safe while the Kimber is now my carry revolver of choice.

Weight says Skadoosh.

Colt Cobra, no .357 ability, weighs 25 oz.
Kimber K6s with .357 ability weighs 23 oz.

Skadoosh, go shoot this thing. ;)
I'm just trying to figure out why "recessed cylinder chambers" is touted as a good thing. Help a brother out here. What benefit do they offer?

Skadoosh.
The recessed chambers are a holdover from the early magnums, before the advent of the solid case heads, and they show a level of quality and care in manufacturing that many find appealing, including myself.

They also eliminate the unsightly gap between the aft face of the cylinder to the frame and give a wheel-gun a monoblock appearance.

Place the Kimber on a table next to other 2" revolvers and you will see what I'm talking about. It might not be important to some people but it is to me.

I was always partial to Colt Detective Specials. I like the fact the firing pin is mounted to the hammer. This improves ignition reliability as all the kinetic energy of the hammer is transmitted directly to the primer. Frame mounted firing pins, not as reliable as the energy of the hammer is dissipated through the transfer bar, then the firing pin, before it reaches the primer.

The DS's made prior to the 1970's were the best in terms of well fitted internal lockworks. The ones after 1970, it looks like the lock works were filed from soap chunks. Probably the factory equipment was falling apart and they handed the fitters oversized parts which took a lot of filing to make them fit.

3c4ymWs.jpg

2qh3TRm.jpg

a5Jxii3.jpg

Skadoosh.
The recessed chambers are a holdover from the early magnums, before the advent of the solid case heads, and they show a level of quality and care in manufacturing that many find appealing, including myself.

They also eliminate the unsightly gap between the aft face of the cylinder to the frame and give a wheel-gun a monoblock appearance.

Place the Kimber on a table next to other 2" revolvers and you will see what I'm talking about. It might not be important to some people but it is to me.
So you think recessed chambers is a sign of quality? I think they are completely unnecessary "holdover".

You call the gap "unsightly"...that's not really saying much when the K9 is only slightly less unsightly than the Chiappa Rhino and the Ruger LCR.

One of these!
d35btqg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My regular EDC is either a S&W 638 or 642 no-lock. Lately I have been buying and packing a pair of Detective Specials. An older 1961 blue as well as a 1994 5th series in blue. Definitely a pair of “quality” snubs. I prefer the S&W models for size and weight but confess the Colts have a bit of style and panache the “Js” do not.

My father had a Charter Arms Undercover .38 special revolver 2-inch barrel. His widow has it now in Cleveland, OH.

Considering who Kimber consulted when they were looking to design the K6, my money would go there.
Who was consulted?
Grant Cunningham is supposed to have advised Kimber on the K6s.

Grant was who I was referring too.

Very few living people can match his expertise on revolvers.

Still wish I could have let him take a crack at my Detective Special before health problems forced him to stop gunsmithing.

He's also on my very short list of instructors I want to take classes from.

I have several recommendations but they are all colt or S&W.

The S&W 327 snub nose with 2 inch barrel and 8 rounds of 357 magnum in a light weight gun is a lot of fire power in a small package for a revolver. If you want a heavier gun the stainless version is awesome and has. 2.5 inch barrel

Back