What is a good pocket gun?

CCCLVII

I dont really care revolver or semi.

I am a large guy (6 foot 7 inches) pushing 300 LBS (yes I need to loose weight)

I find I am having hip problems and carrying any thing above the waist line seems to hurt. So no belly bands, OWB, IWB or shoulder holsters. I do however have pretty large pockets compared to most people. I have carried about some weight in that pocket and it does not seem to effect me. So I am opting for pocket carry.

An LCP would be my choice if ease and comfort were the primary criteria. You're a big guy and probably could comfortably carry a small single stack polymer 9 mm like an LC9s giving you a little more firepower. As you can see I am a Ruger fan, but their are plenty of other options.

A couple of years ago when I was looking for one I tried them all and settled on a Kahr CM9. Looks good, great trigger and goes bang. I can carry with with a pocket holster in front or rear pocket with no issues at all. I work outside with it in a rear pocket all day. I am a small dude compared to a lot.

I carry a S&W 627 snub nose. It is an 8 shot 357 magnum. It is a little wider than the J-Frame (about .4 inches wider) but has 3 more rounds.

I am not as big as you are and I can pocket carry it. Had to build the holster my self though. The length is about the same as a J frame. It carries as much or more rounds than most pocket single stack semiautos.

Just my recommendation. Take it for what you paid for it!

wm_4382147.jpg

got this image from Guns America. This is the one I pocket carry.

When my wife got her carry permit, she wanted something really small that she could dress around. I took her to the LGS to look at an LCP. She looked at a Sig P238 and the selection process was over. I ran home for more cash while she did the paperwork. They are a bit pricey, but she loves it, and I liked it well enough that she had Santa bring me my own so that I would leave hers alone. Really an amazing shooter, and although heavier than the polymers like the LCP, still pocket carries fine for me.

I have both a S&W 442 and a LCP either of which would work well for pocket carry. The few times I do pocket carry I generally end up using the J-Frame along with a speed loader.

+1 for the Khar CM9 (or PM9). I'm 6' & 280 and pocket carry in dress slacks. I alternate between that and a KelTec P3AT (same size as the Ruger LCP). With pocket holsters (desantis for the P3AT & a minimal kydex one for the CM9), both print like a large wallet in dress slacks.

My LCP IN A deSantis Nemesis is constantly in my front pocket. Never noticed by anybody. I have carried my Kahr CM9 similarly, but not all pockets, in all pants conceal it as well as the LCP.

we tested several semi autos last year

maybe should have tried the Ruger LCP too--it fits the bill

this year we compared the SW shield , xds 3.3, glock 43 and walther ccp(all 9mm).we prefer a striker fired hd/sd gun(FYI)

the walther was a great shooter but due to magazine issues had FTE and FTL several times--cross that off

the glock 43 was too small for our hands

the xds is fine--greats hooter-- but the magazines are hard to release

the winner -= the shield. not great for accuracy BUT in SD situations you want to ventilate not hit the same hole(as you do on the range hopefully)

all shooting @ 21 feet indoors 9mm 115 gr blazer brass used

Another vote for the Ruger LCP .380 or if you were serious about your pockets being slightly larger than usual then maybe the Ruger LC9s 9mm. Most people seem to like the later, striker fired version of the LC9 which is the LC9s. Although if you want to save some money I've seen the original LC9 guns used for pretty cheap (as in under $300) prices.

Just spied today ANOTHER Ruger stainless slide LCP .380 for $199. I got one two weeks ago, stainless slide, for $161, tax included.

I even found a Glock 19, 3ed gen, for $300 (and I ain't telling you where.)

That might be my IDPA/CCW practice gun soon.

Deaf

You know, I have a K frame M12 and a J frame M37. Both air weights. I can't imagine you can't carry some small semi or air weight on your belt?

If you have decent pockets, I really like the G42.

I'm a big fan of the ruger lcp and the S&W bodyguard. My gf has the lcp and I have the bodyguard. Great accuracy as far out as we've taken them, which is 10 yards.

The LCP in a Sticky holster is pocket carry perfection. It works surprisingly well iwb too.

I like j frames but the cylinder makes it significantly wider. I could only pull off pocket carry with one in certain pants. The LCP doesn't have that limitation.

Back