What happened to Muzzle Loaders?

You are never 100% sure of a kill till it happens.

I have been hunting for a few years now, about 44 or so, and I have killed my share in that time. You can be 100% certain that you are making a shot that is well within your ability to make, before you pull the trigger. There is no excuse for making an iffy shot, in hope of making a kill. Can you miss? Sure, but it should be a very rare occurrence, and if you miss it should be for a darned good reason and not because you were making a "Hail Mary" shot.

and if you miss it should be for a darned good reason and not because you were making a "Hail Mary" shot.

Yah I agree with that. When people say 100% it reminds me of what an old guy told me one time. Only a woman is 100% sure the child she had is hers. :)

When they allow single shot rifles that use a cartridge,I'll stand beside ya and yell "foul".As long as somebody is throwing powder and lead down the muzzle,I'll wish them good luck."Buffoon" or not. :rolleyes:

Butch,you still didn't say if you use camo or not.
Do you have any trouble lighting the fuse on that smokepole of yours?WHAT?You don't use a fuse? Aaaaarrrggg!!! What is it with hunters these days?They're all gadget drunk I tell ya.DRUNK!Why there oughta be a law. :D :D :D :D

The precision of the gun can not make up for the lack of skill of the shooter, or the lack of patience and skill of the hunter to get close enough to shoot within his personal skill range.

I beg to differ. my marlin 917 with a 10-40X50 scope can put 5 shot inside .5" at 100 yards regularly. over and over again i've killed groundhogs and squirrels in a single shot out to 200 yards. no i also have an ancient savage .22 lr. a classic. belonged to my granddad as a kid. great gun, but cannot hold a candle to my 917 the better bullet / powder / trigger makes me a better shooter. my skill doesn't change when i pick up one or the other, just the gun's ability.

When i pick up my Enocre it makes me a better shooter. do i still have to get close? yes. where i hunt 50 yards is a long shot so the increased range of the gun really doesn't make a difference. the Encore is much more forgiving and shoots much tighter groups than a traditional ML.

I don't know if you're a math wizz or not, but i'm an engineering student right now. One thing you learn in math classes esp. statistics is called COMPOUND error:
when you have 2 objects interfacing (gun and person) the error in the system isn't governed by whichever has more error, it's a combination of the two. the less error you have the more accurate your problem is. in our case if we have a good shooter with a good gun, guess what, THEY'RE MORE ACCURATE THAN A GOOD SHOOTER WITH A BAD GUN! it's as simple as that. so you're argument that a better gun does nothing for the shooter is BS.

and how about broadheads. if you cannot respond to the broadhead and the camo questions you might as well give up. DO NOT BOTHER responding if you can't tell me whether you carve your own broadheads out stone or not. Do you use carbon shafts? aluminum? do you buy feathers / vanes off the shelf? do you epoxy to re-fletch your arrorw? b/c none of that stuff is primitive. do you use a flashlight goin in and out of the woods? do you use a tree stand? do you wear insulated clothing? do you bring candy / lunch in a plastic bag with you? do you have any device to help drag a deer out the woods? do you wear a watch? do you use trail markers?

there are many inventions that have "bastardized" hunting. you're so caught up in the "good ole way" you miss the fact that the new stuff is helping to get the next generation into hunting. like i said before, i'm pretty new to hunting and will eventually revert to more classic style weapons, but for right now i'm learning and honing my skills. it's alot easier to learn and be confident with better equipment. so in several years when i have a steady job and hopefully some land i'm sure i'll get into kit rifles and recurve bows, but for the time being i'm hunting on public land where the competition is incredible and i'm gonna take every advantage i can.

butch50 said:
The precision of the gun can not make up for the lack of skill of the shooter, or the lack of patience and skill of the hunter to get close enough to shoot within his personal skill range.
I can hardly believe my eyes. You've come full circle. I'm proud of you.

Hokie:

I don't bow hunt. I used to, but eventually I became uneasy with the manner in which an arrow kills, so I stopped. I may return to it in the future, and if I do it will be with either a long bow or a recurve.

The real point is this: ML seasons were created to suit traditional ML rifles. The idea was that it was a separation from the centerfire rifle technology. Since the inception of the ML season however, MLs are being designed that come closer and closer to the centerfire, which is taking advantage of a season that was designed to be limited by the ability of the ML rifle as they were known at that time; out of a kind of greed for killing more deer.

I hunt public land also - and if you are willing to do some real walking, you can take advantage of the fact that the vast majority of the hunters are too lazy to work their way into the most remote areas - which is where the deer go to avoid the lazy hunters. Those lazy hunters work to your benefit by concentrating the deer into the most remote areas Have you noticed that most hunters seem to hunt within 1/4 mile of a road? Look on your map, find the largest area without access to wheels, and head for the center of it. You might bump into me, but I doubt you will bump into anyone else; I will be the one wearing blue jeans, typically a khaki shirt a blaze orange vest and a blaze orange hat.

There have been many gadgets in the past, but recent technology is becoming too good for deer hunting. Technology now is far superior to anything in the past, and every single year it jumps by leaps and bounds.

After reading many of your "hunting" posts I realize there is no point in argueing with you. Your mind is closed and it would not matter what facts were given to you. If all hunters were like you there would be no hunting, the anti's would have outlawed the sport. But that said, I'll put in my .02.

Any season or method of hunting that is legal is OK by me. Styles or techniques that I don't like I just don't do. I don't go on rants and disparage the people that utilize those techniques nor do I try to get those method banned. Most states that have primitive weapon seasons do so to sell more licenses and to control their deer populations. In PA there are two BP seasons, One that is flintlock, open sights only; and one that is any muzzleloader with any sighting system. The latter, or for the gadget morons, fools, and diseased, is doe only and for herd control. The PGC wants more guys out in the woods. What is wrong with that? I hunt with a flintlock, should all percussion rifles be banned?

You also state that bows do not kill humanely, you obviously did not become proficient with your bow. A deer that is correctly hit with a broadhead does not know it has been killed until it faints from blood loss. Many more deer are wounded, and suffer, from gunfire than from archers.

As I told you once before, any method that gets people out in the woods is OK. The anti's just love guys like you, they love to quote your insults of hunting styles that you don't like. They use your words when trying to ban trapping or archery, "It's cheating, its not humane, its not sporting"

If I use your definition of hunting: "a sport that is based on the traditions of what once was a necessity", then all methods to legally kill game would be included. The subsistance hunters embraced every innovation that came down the road that made hunting easier. From club to spear to bows to muskets to punt guns that soon wiped out waterfowl, to the new fangled centerfire repeaters.

Lighten up, can't we all just get along?

Your mind is closed and it would not matter what facts were given to you. If all hunters were like you there would be no hunting, the anti's would have outlawed the sport. But that said, I'll put in my .02.

Posting comments like that then asking people to get a long do not go hand in hand. This has turned into an outrageous flame war of people bashing others and that is just what anti-firearm people want, is for us to turn on each other.

Thank you for giving the people that we ALL hate as a WHOLE the chance to prove themselves right for saying that we are subtle and quick to anger...

Good job

You also state that bows do not kill humanely, you obviously did not become proficient with your bow. A deer that is correctly hit with a broadhead does not know it has been killed until it faints from blood loss. Many more deer are wounded, and suffer, from gunfire than from archers.

My personal choice was to no longer kill deer with arrows. First and foremost you should understand that I do not have the misconception that hunting is a humane sport - it is a killing sport. It is a blood sport. Your statement that a deer that is correctly hit won't know it has been hit, is not borne out by humans who have been hit - they knew it. Can you for one instant truly imagine that you just wouldn't notice an arrow with a 1" wide broad head passing through your body? Hunters who have been hit with arrows knew they were hit with arrows. What is the first thing you do after shooting a deer with an arrow? You wait 30 minutes before tracking right? And why is that? Because a deer hit with an arrow bleeds to death, and not too quickly. So, I prefer to shoot them with a gun, killing them within seconds. But I am thinking of taking the bow back up again too - so for me it is not a big issue.

As I told you once before, any method that gets people out in the woods is OK. The anti's just love guys like you, they love to quote your insults of hunting styles that you don't like. They use your words when trying to ban trapping or archery, "It's cheating, its not humane, its not sporting"

If hunters can't have honest open discussions about their sport because they are afraid that the antis are going to get excited by hearing the conversation, then everyone might as well quit talking about anything important.

If I use your definition of hunting: "a sport that is based on the traditions of what once was a necessity",
Already answered in previous posts.

I am going to be gone all weekend, will pick this back up next week. Hope everyone has a good weekend. :D

Last edited:
"Most states that have primitive weapon seasons do so to sell more licenses and to control their deer populations. "

The key word being "primitive". I don't define an inline muzzleloader with plastic sabots, powder pellets, and a 3x9 scope as being "primitive", is the thing. Don't get me wrong, I think anything that gets more folks hunting and into the woods is a good thing, but let's be honest, much of it doesn't deserve a special "primitive" season.

For instance, in many places, shots over 100 yds rarely happen. What's the big difference between a 30-30 lever action at that distance, and a modern inline with powder pellets and a scope? Actually, the inline is MORE modern, being as how it was developed way way after the lever action, and will more than likely have a scope and the lever gun will not.

I'm definitely not against inlines, hi tech archery, etc., if it generates more people hunting, it is a good thing. But I am against special seasons for some of the more advanced weaponry.

I have no strong feelings about what equipment others choose to use as long as it's legal in the jurisdiction they're hunting in. We have so many deer around here that any legal harvest method is fine with me. That said, I can't imagine sitting on a stump with a modern in-line across my knees and getting the same feeling about the whole experience as I get with my 1861 Springfield .58. I spend a lot more time during deer season carrying a rifle than shooting it so I've decided to carry something that gives me pleasure just from the carrying. If I really needed the meat I guess that in-line could be a necessity, but I don't and it isn't. I took my .32 muzzle loading squirrel rifle out this morning. I have several scope sighted .22s and .22 magnums which I use regularly but I just get a big kick out of hunting with the old fashioned stuff.
By the way, one of the deer I shot a few years back (with a longbow) ran about three jumps, stopped and looked around, flicked it's tail a few times and started picking acorns up again before falling down. The arrow had passed through without touching ribs on either side. THAT deer apparently wasn't in great pain but I know thats not the norm.
Steve

Problem is that the States did not specify 'primitive weapons only'. All BP is now is just another way to extend hunting seasons.

My take?

If someone is going to take full advantage of modern BP technology then I think they shouldn't hunt during muzzle-loading season.

The point of black-powder hunting seasons is the same as the point of bow-hunting seasons. They are designed around the idea that these hunting seasons handicap hunters significantly.

I don't agree that these extra seasons are used to manage game in any significant way. If they really want to chop the deer population, they could just extend the standard season and/or issue more tags.

The bottom line is that hunting laws and seasons aren't written in stone. If it becomes apparent that the point of muzzle-loading seasons is being circumvented, they'll disappear.

QUOTE butch50: "I am disgusted to see what is happenning to traditional muzzle loader rifles. They began evolving into super high technology blackpowder monstrosities after the black powder deer seasons became prevalent. The original intent of having a muzzle loader season was to create a primitive hunting season.....The hunter would be limited to shots of about 100 yards or less and not be able to reload rapidly".

Your premise is seriously flawed.....in-line muzzleloaders have been around since the 1700's, this is not new technology.

Where does this "less than a 100 yards" come from? Civil War soldiers qualified by hitting a 10" target 10 times at 200 yards. Obviously the Civil War sniper that shot Major General John Sedgwick in the face and off his horse from 500 yards didn't know his firearm was limited to 100 yards.

Geeez....You would think that with all the internet resources available, people would do a little homework and get their facts straight rather than post their personal bias's as truth.

Butch,

I am a hunter. I love being around hunters, but I don’t think I would like you. I don’t know,
I am judging your personality based on one thread.

I cannot stand your judgmental attitude. Your way is obviously the only way that is correct.

Hunters are having a tough time. There are fewer and fewer of us. I firmly believe that we should embrace each other, and utilize our knowledge to teach, and foster the sport, not to belittle those who don’t do it like we do.

I personally admire those who choose to make their own bows, and arrows and shoot traditional points. Have I attainted that level of skill, no, but I am working toward that! According to you I should just stop hunting until I achieve that level.

I shoot a recurve bow. That is a technologic advantage over a longbow. I guess I am wrong for that.

You never answered the question about your use of camouflage.

I walk in to my stands. I carry my stands in. I still hunt.

Do I look down on others who choose to rifle hunt from stands over feeders and utlize ATVs, no. I try to teach and encourage every rifle hunter I meet. Maybe some will become bow hunters, some will become traditional black powder shooters, some will learn to still hunt.

Until you make your own clothing, walk to your hunting area from your home, make your own powder, and make your own firearm, I suggest you get off your high horse and embrace our sport, our comradery, and use your knowledge to teach, not to judge and belittle.

My 2 cents.

Charles

Rembrandt:Where does this "less than a 100 yards" come from? Civil War soldiers qualified by hitting a 10" target 10 times at 200 yards. Obviously the Civil War sniper that shot Major General John Sedgwick in the face and off his horse from 500 yards didn't know his firearm was limited to 100 yards.

Geeez....You would think that with all the internet resources available, people would do a little homework and get their facts straight rather than post their personal bias's as truth.
I would enjoy reading about this, what are your sources? Snipers making lucky shots at 500 yards do not qualify as evidence that traditional muzzleloaders are consiistenly capable of such shots.

Charles S: I am a hunter. I love being around hunters, but I don’t think I would like you. I don’t know,
I am judging your personality based on one thread.
OK. I am not running for elected office, I am criticizing a phenomenon that I think is ruining our sport.

Charles S: You never answered the question about your use of camouflage.
I thought I had, but that may have been on another thread. No, I do not use camo - typically I dress in workboots, blue jeans, a khaki style shirt, a blaze orange vest and hat.

Charles S: Until you make your own clothing, walk to your hunting area from your home, make your own powder, and make your own firearm, I suggest you get off your high horse and embrace our sport, our comradery, and use your knowledge to teach, not to judge and belittle.
Am I abrasive? Yes. Do you know why? Because I care about our sport to the point that I am willing to irritate the crap out of people to get them to stop and look at what is happening. I am going to paste a review, along with the source of that review. Please read it and tell me that the muzzleloader season is not being, or will soon be, ruined by loophole manufacturers and slob hunters willing to take any advantage they can:

Savage's New Smokeless Muzzleloader
by Jeff Quinn
photography by Jeff Quinn

There are basically two very different points of view concerning muzzleloading rifles for hunting. First, there is the traditional school of thought regarding the rifle and equipment. In this traditional group, most hunters use a side-hammer rifle of either flintlock or more likely percussion ignition, with either black powder or a black powder substitute. These hunters, for good reason, reject any modern equipment such as scope sights and inline ignition.

The other group of hunters, we'll call them the modern hunters for lack of a better term, welcome any new innovations in muzzleloading rifles. They view the muzzleloading hunting season as time to get in more hunting by using a different weapon than their breechloading centerfire rifles or shotguns.

If you adhere to the first, or more traditional, philosophy, this gun review is not for you. This article deals with the most modern and innovative muzzleloader to date. This new muzzleloader will, for the first shot anyway, give away nothing in performance to a modern big game centerfire rifle. This new rifle is the Savage Model 10MLSS-II.

This new muzzleloader from Savage, while perfectly capable of fine accuracy with black powder or Pyrodex, was designed for use with modern smokeless powder, very similar to what is used in cartridge firearms. While black powder or Pyrodex performs very well, as it has for many years, it cannot equal the performance of modern smokeless powder. The main objection that I hear from hunters using black powder or a substitute is that of the daily cleaning chore following the shooting of the weapon. To the traditional hunter, this is just part of the charm of using a more primitive weapon. To the modern deer hunter who just wants to hunt, it is a pain in the neck.

Continued next thread:

Inline technology in muzzleloaders has been around for a few years in its modern incarnation, and has been a welcome innovation by the modern hunter. Inline rifles greatly simplify the mounting of a scope sight, and make the cleaning of the rifle a bit easier. The new Savage uses this inline configuration in their 10 ML muzzleloaders.

Savage makes their 10ML in both blued steel and stainless, the latter being the rifle reviewed here. Both the blued and stainless rifles are identical except for the type of steel used in their construction, with all other specifications being the same. The Savage has a checkered, pillar-bedded synthetic stock similar to those used on their excellent centerfire rifles, and comes equipped with sling swivel studs installed. The medium-heavy barrel is free-floated for its entire length, and is fitted with open adjustable sights. Savage lists the barrel length as twenty-four inches, but the internal length, from muzzle to breech plug measures twenty-two and one-eighth inches.

The action is very similar to the familiar centerfire Savage action, with the changes necessary to function as a muzzleloader. The breech face of the bolt is machined to easily accept a number 209 shotshell primer, providing plenty of fire to ignite the powder charge. On the right side of the receiver, just forward of the bolt handle, is a cocking indicator with a red dot on its surface, which can be easily seen and felt to check the firing condition of the rifle. The safety is, as on all Savage centerfire rifles, right behind the bolt in the top center of the rifle, just as it should be. The receiver is drilled and tapped to accept any scope bases that are made for Savage rifles.

Upon inspection of the 10MLSS-II, as the stainless version is called, the quality of fit and finish is very well done. The gun has a muzzle-heavy balance, which is a real help for offhand shooting, which often occurs when hunting. The rifle weighs seven and three-quarters pounds without scope. The trigger pull, while crisp, was a bit heavy for my taste at about five pounds, but can be easily lightened by a qualified gunsmith. This is about average for a factory rifle, and is understandable in today's litigious society. This weight of pull is probably acceptable to most hunters, but I am accustomed to using a set-trigger on my muzzleloaders. When you only have one shot, you really want it to be on the mark.

What really got me interested in a muzzleloader that used smokeless powder, was the fact that the old hot-water-and-soap cleaning method needed with other muzzleloaders could be forgotten. This fact is probably the main selling point to most purchasers of this rifle, and a good selling point it is. In this aspect of the gun alone, Savage has the market to itself. No other major muzzleloader manufacturer recommends the use of smokeless powder in their rifles, in fact, they strictly warn against the use of anything but black powder or an approved substitute. Being able to come in from a long day's hunt and set the rifle in the rack, without the messy cleaning, is a welcome bonus to most hunters.

While the clean-shooting characteristics of the gun got my attention, what really surprised me is the performance of the weapon, as compared to every other muzzleloader on the market. Savage's literature that accompanies the rifle lists some pretty impressive loads using three different smokeless powders. The data includes loads using Vitavouri N110, IMR 4227, and Accurate Arms XMP-5744, all of which are relatively fast-burning for a rifle powder. The loads listed by Savage will beat black powder loads, with the same bullet weights, by several hundred feet-per-second.

I decided to try some different powders for this article, since Savage had already done the work with the powders listed. All powders were within the same range of burning speed to the powders listed above. I assembled all the necessary components and equipment needed for an exhaustive workout of the new rifle. I was a bit apprehensive at first pouring smokeless powder into a muzzleloader, having been warned most of my life never to do so. I do want to interject at this point never to use smokeless powder in any muzzleloader other than the Savage, until such time that others make their rifles to handle the pressures. Also, you must be very meticulous in measuring the powder, and I strongly suggest weighing each powder charge. This muzzleloader is not for the careless amateur, but for the serious shooter. While a slight overcharge with black powder is no big deal, overcharging with smokeless can cause serious harm to the gun and shooter.

The 10ML uses bullets of either .451 or .452 inch diameter in fifty caliber magnum sabots. Be sure to use the magnum sabots, as the cheap soft ones give unsatisfactory results with the velocities of which this rifle is capable.

All range testing was done on a sunny day with temperatures between 55 and 70 degrees, with slight to gusting winds, which made the task of weighing powder charges difficult with the wind playing with the balance beam scales. Velocities were monitored with the aid of the excellent PACT chronograph. The PACT makes all the mathematical calculations of standard deviation and extreme spreads so that the shooter can concentrate on the shooting. All shooting for groups was at 100 yards, with the aid of a Tasco 4 to 16 power target scope.

The accuracy of this rifle was very good with every bullet tried, but the best were the Hornady 250 grain XTP, the Hornady 300 grain XTP, and the excellent Cast Performance 335 grain LBT-style cast bullet. Of the sabots tested, the Hornady proved to work the best in this rifle. These three bullets shot into five-shot groups of between one and one-and-one-quarter inches at 100 yards. The aggregate group for thirteen different loads was less than three inches.

The loads that proved to be amazing to me used the three listed bullets above with Hodgdon's Lil' Gun powder. This powder, which has already become one of my favorite pistol powders (see Jeff's article at Hodgdon Lil' Gun Powder), turned in good velocities with each bullet tested, and the spreads and deviations were some of the best I've ever seen. I was able to reach speeds approaching that of a .375 H&H Magnum with equal bullet weights. For example, the loads with the Hornady 250 and 300 grain bullets using Lil Gun averaged 2552 and 2432 fps, respectively. The Cast Performance 335 grain averaged 2370 fps with Lil Gun. This relates to around 4300 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle. As a comparison, this muzzleloader has more retained energy at 300 yards with these loads than the mighty .454 Casull has at the muzzle out of a handgun! This kind of performance from a fifty caliber muzzleloader is amazing. Most other inlines won't do half of that. I also need to interject here that neither Hodgdon nor Savage recommends this powder in this gun. The loads were safe and very consistent in this rifle. I believe that Lil Gun is the best powder to use in this rifle, and beats the performance of the other powders significantly, but I will not list the charge weights here. You will have to determine what is best in your particular gun, but I am sticking with Lil Gun in this Savage.

The significant fact about this load, with either of the bullets, aside from the awesome power, is the trajectory. With a 200 yard zero, you can hold dead-on out to 250 yards without the bullet varying from line-of-sight more than three and one-half inches. This gun is, in capable hands, a 250 yard or better muzzleloader. It will place the bullet on the mark, with power to spare for most any game. With the Cast Performance bullet, this gun has ample power for any animal on this continent.

If you are inclined toward an inline muzzleloader, the Savage is the logical choice. It beats the competition in power, trajectory, and ease-of-maintenance. On second thought, the Savage has no competition, as it is the only game in town for a smokeless muzzleloader. Our local gun dealer, McLain's Firearms in Carlisle, Tennessee, can't keep them in stock. They go out the door as fast as he can get them in. I never really cared at all for an inline muzzleloader, as my old side-hammer Hawken has served me well, but this new Savage is a whole new concept in power and performance, just by virtue of using a propellant that has been around for more than 100 years.

Check out this Savage 10 MLSS-II online at: www.savagearms.com. Suggested retail is $451 in blued steel and $507 in stainless as of this writing.

For the traditional hunter, any inline muzzleloader seems out of place in the woods, but for the modern muzzleloading hunter.......... this Savage just made all other inlines obsolete.

This is your baby.

Jeff Quinn http://www.gunblast.com/SavageML10.htm

attachment.php

How soon will the competition for this gun heat up to the point that you can buy these kind of rilfes everywhere? Do you not think that this rifle is a loophole rifle and that the so called sportsmen using it are not loophole hunters? If this one doesn't bother you, what will? And when?

Last edited:
Butch,

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware of the new Savage Muzzle Loader, it does load from the muzzle, and it has the ballistics of a modern center-fire rifle. Why should it not, it utilizes modern smokeless powder.

I also agree that shooting deer with a center-fire rifle (that is what it really is) during muzzle loading season is not what the original intent was. The approach I take is to educate others about the original intent and about hunting in general.

For me hunting is a journey not a destination.

Am I abrasive? Yes. Do you know why? Because I care about our sport to the point that I am willing to irritate the crap out of people to get them to stop and look at what is happening.

In truth, you and I have the same goals, we just try different approaches. I do not believe that further regulations are the answer, but I have never believed that the Government fixes anything with new laws, there are always loopholes, and people who ignore them all together. (Poaching is a real problem in my neck of the woods).

I really think that the best approach is to educate the hunting populous. Some will not respond, but some will. I don't think the answer is to exclude others who think differently.

Charles

If this one doesn't bother you, what will? And when?

The use of the Savage does bother me, does the use of a Thompson Center Encore bother me, no not really, but that is just an arbitrary standard.

I do not muzzle load, but I really would like to. I think that a traditional rifle would be great fun. I have always wanted a kit where I could finish the rifle myself.

Do compound bows bother me, no. There is still a tremendous handicap on the average bow hunter.

What does bother me.

Poaching!

Slob hunters that make us all look bad!

The decline of the sport!

Marijuana fields in the woods.

Meth factories in the woods.

I have plenty of things that bother me more than a person shooting an inline with pyrodex pellets.

Charles

Back