What handgun to buy?

zachattack2
A polish p64 in 9x18 makerev.

I carried a Bulgarian Mak for a couple years. Dead reliable, if a bit heavy.

I've never fired a polish 64, but I wouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand.

Doofus,
Yes, I have heard that the older military pistols are reliable because there all metal and why would a millitary make a bad gun? The all metal does make it heavier but also more reliable, and I like that.

Also, people say the polish P64's are very accurate, some even say more than a glock. I don't need great accuracy, that's not really what I'm looking for, but it would be a bonus for a inexspensive military surplus pistol. The 9x18 make rob round isn't that powerful but is just powerful enough for self defense.

Zach

Well, it may be weak compared to a 454 or something, but it is still very deadly when handled correctly. I don't even consider a pellet rifle weak. When used as it is designed, it IS deadly. There was a 16 yr old boy that was killed with a pellet rifle around here a few years back....shot thru the heart. Sure, you couldn't kill a rhino with one, but I know a few police officers that carry 380 as their backup gun.

zach,

If you want a first handgun for range and carry, I'd recommend a pistol over a revolver, unless you just refuse to maintain your equipment. I's also recommend the pistol be compact-size, a good compromise for your two stated uses. A bit easier to conceal, but still very comfortable to shoot at the range. If carry comfort is more important consider a pistol with a light plastic frame. If shootability is more important consider a heavier, recoi-absorbing metal frame.

For about $400 you can get a new Canik compact in 9 Luger. The design (CZ 75 clone) is proven and reliable, the Turk workmanship is excellent, and there is good after-market support should you want to clean up the action or change the grips. The 9 Luger is typically the least expensive factory ammo caliber, and the FBI is now on record saying that the caliber is optimal for LE handgun purposes.

Regardless of what you buy, hold it (or a close surrogate) to ensure it feels comfortable.

Police trade-ins

Police trade-in handguns can be had for a decent price. This includes S&W revolvers like the Model 64 .38 Special. Many times the hammers are bobbed - and semi-autos (newer model trade-ins) are often double action only. But, you can save some money and likely get a decent handgun that's been in the holster more than working on the firing range.

Back