What handgun to buy?

I like the S&W SD9VE 9mm pistol, especially for the price. But I have two questions I would like to ask.

First, I would like to eventually like to use it for a carry gun and is that possible with the size of this gun? Is it slim enough, light enougn?

Second, If I shoot tons out of it like I am planning cause it is 9mm, will it hold up and still shoot after thousands of rounds?

Thanks,
Zach

If you are leaning toward a 9mm semi-automatic pistol and are interested in one you can use as a carry piece I can suggest two high quality pistols that can be purchased new for around $400 give or take a bit.

One has already been suggested by AustinTX: the Stoeger Cougar 8000. This is a very good quality gun basically functionally equivalent to the Beretta Cougar which was discontinued some years ago. Most Cougars are F models which are traditional double action pistols with a double action first shot and double strike capability, and subsequent single action shots. The Cougar F also has a slide mounted safety/decocker which is familiar to those who have used the Beretta 92FS. Unlike the Beretta 92 the F version Cougar can relatively easily be converted to a "G" model (in which the lever acts as a decocker only) without slide modification.

Some dislike DA/SA action pistols because of the transition from double action to single action and prefer a consistent trigger action. Some also dislike external safeties. The Cougars have also been felt by some to have too long and/or thick a grip or to be too heavy for carry. I understand that Stoeger is now manufacturing an L version of the 8000. The L is a compact version with a somewhat shorter grip.

If you want a simpler pistol without an external safety and with a consistent trigger pull you might look at the Sig Sauer P250. The Sig P250 has not been a raving success for two reasons. First, early models had reliability issues which have now been sorted out, but not before the model's reputation was tarnished. Secondly, the P 250 has a long, but smooth double action only trigger pull, much like that of a DAO revolver. This does not appeal to many target shooters but makes a good deal of sense for a self-defense carry pistol since the long DA trigger press functions as a safety mechanism of its own. The Sig P250 comes in compact and subcompact sizes and I have seen them going NIB for well under $400 recently.

SD9VE

I purchased 2 of them last month for just under $300 ea. I let the wife pick them as one was gonna be her CCW. The LCP and the Beretta Nano felt like toys to her. The SD9VE has good construction, stainless upper and poly frame.

Comes with 2 each 16 rnd capacity magazines. Comfortable to carry for me as it is not a full size and it is not too heavy although heavy enough. We have put 200 rounds thru them and function is very good with no FTF with the FMJ ammo.

I think that I may purchase a spring kit for them from Apex Tactical ($20) that is said to lighten the tripper maybe 30-40%. That will be for later.

Son and Daughter both have handled and shot them and they both really like, so I will probably purchase two more in a month or so after they take their course.

I wanted something that was not pricey for my carry. I prefer the 45ACP, but I think these will do. I don't want to give up any of my guns for evidence, but if I have to, it won't be a $900-1000 piece.

First, I would like to eventually like to use it for a carry gun and is that possible with the size of this gun? Is it slim enough, light enougn?

It's definitely possible. The gun doesn't weigh too much, and it has a reasonably slim profile for a double-stack pistol. These are matters of personal preference, but many, many people on just this site alone carry guns of this size every day.

Second, If I shoot tons out of it like I am planning cause it is 9mm, will it hold up and still shoot after thousands of rounds?

Yes. The guns are quite durable. Just change your recoil spring on time, and the gun will almost certainly outlast any effort of yours to wear it out. It's also perfectly fine to feed it +P self-defense ammo.

Keep your used-gun eye out for the classic revolver in the classic cartridge:

S&W Model-19 357 Mag
-- Combat Magnum -- generations 19-3 or 19-4
(~$350-$400 in Nat'n's Gunshows over last several years.)

I have one more question about the SD9VE.

How is the body of the gun, the material. Is it polymer?
Nice quality or cheap?

Thanks,
Zach

zachattack2 said:
SpatsMcgee.

I would like it nice for conceal carry and range time.
NOW we're getting somewhere. Thank you.

For this combination, I'm going to join in with those who suggest 9mm. It is, IMHO, an acceptable round, and about as cheap as you can get in centerfire ammunition.

As far as the SW9VE, I handled them a few times, but I've neither fired nor owned one. Accordingly, I cannot speak to its quality. I was considering one at one time (IIRC), but I shied away from them because I'd heard that they have a very heavy trigger. Like 8-10 lbs. As I could never test the trigger on one, I cannot tell you if it's true. I'm not what you'd call a trigger snob, but that sure seemed too heavy for me, and Mrs. McGee would absolutely hate it.

That said, the SW9VE is in what I call the 'Goldilocks Category' for CC and the range, at least in terms of size. Goldilocks Category pistols are (for me) large enough to shoot well, and small enough to conceal easily. (Not too big, not too small, but just right.) The other semiautomatic* pistols that I put in that category include (but are not limited to . . . ): the Glock 19/23, Ruger SR9C and SR40c, several CZ models, 1911 Commander models, etc. YMMV

* = Frankly, I don't shoot or carry revolvers enough to have established the Goldilocks Category for them, so I leave that determination to people who know more about them than I.

IMO the SD9 feels good in the hand, I used to own one and didn't have any problems with it. I traded it to my uncle and he hasn't had any problems with it. The SD series is considered S&W's budget line, this doesn't necessarily mean they are junk, IMO it felt solid for a polymer framed pistol, they just don't have the bells and whistles the M&P series have. For the price, the SD9 is quite a bargain, if you take care of it, it will more than likely take care of you.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about getting a little nicer of a gun and get the S&W mp shield. It looks accurate, durable and is in my price range at $430.
Does anybody have any opinions on this gun? Experience?

All are appreciated

Thanks,
Zach

zachattack2, if I may ask, are you LEO, military, retired military, EMT, or anything like that? Some of the manufacturers (Glock, S&W, Ruger, I think) all offer discounts for folks that are.

Also, are used pistols and option for you?

I'm trying to help you stretch those dollars here.

I like the S&W SD9VE 9mm pistol, especially for the price. But I have two questions I would like to ask.

Thanks,
Zach

I have one and it almost exactly the size and weight of a Glock 19 which makes it very good as a carry gun for me. It also operates almost exactly like a Glock and has a lifetime service warranty. I plan on keeping it for the rest of my life and I don't worry that it will ever wear out on me.

Spats McGee,
I would like to get either a S&W or a Glock.
I like those two companies and they are Good quality and not to exspensive and good rep.

Buds Guns has police trade-ins that are S&W 4" 38 special. They are $319. There are round butt and square butt versions. That would be an excellent general purpose handgun.

If you want a semi-auto, they also had a variety of trade-in semi-autos, different makes and calibers... Glocks in particular, but others too. They are in the $369-$399 range.

Last edited:
Or I could get an old surplus pistol for cheap like the star model super b 9mm
for $320 or m70a tokerev 9mm for $246.

What do you guys think on the reliability and accuracy on the surplus guns??

Or I could get an old surplus pistol for cheap like the star model super b 9mm
for $320 or m70a tokerev 9mm for $246.

What do you guys think on the reliability and accuracy on the surplus guns??

I would recommend keeping in the direction you were headed. Those are fun range toys, but you're not going to get any warranty service at all for an old surplus gun like the Star. The M70A is a single-action gun with no safety, meaning you would have to carry the gun with the hammer down and cock the gun on the draw. The M70AA is the same gun with a slide-mounted safety; I don't know if the safety enables cocked-and-locked carry, but even if it does, this is not an ideal setup at all. (I believe that the safety is also a decocker, but I'm not certain. In that case, you're back to the same situation as with the M70A.) I wouldn't count on them to be as reliable as something like the SD9VE.

Get Stars and Tokarevs and whatnot for fun later on. S&W has possibly the best customer service in the industry, and the the SD line is a modern no-frills design that works well. Keep looking in that general direction.

SOG has "like new" Beretta PX4 Storms 9mm now for $389. Includes 2-17 round magazines and Trijicon sights.

That's an excellent deal on an extremely reliable pistol IMHO. I've put thousands of rounds through my PX4 with only 1 failure, and that was with a reload in which the case split and hung up on ejection.

eta: I just noticed those are the "Type D" model, double action only. I don't have any experience with the trigger on those. SOG also has "like new" 92S for
$349.

Last edited:
Shame that they're "Type D" guns. The trigger is quite nice for a polymer. It's lighter than the DA on the Type F or G PX4s, because the hammer spring isn't as heavy. That said, it's a long revolver-like trigger pull, which probably won't be appealing to the OP. Too bad, because the PX4s are outstanding guns and values.

Last edited:
Back