What handgun to buy?

If you don't even know whether you want a semi-auto or a revolver, that means that you probably have no experience with firearms (or at least with handguns). As such, I really don't think that you should be getting a Glock since it does not have a true safety on it and the trigger is a bit too light given that it has no safety.

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/miscellaneous/glock-handguns

A M1911 has a significantly better trigger (i.e. it is lighter and has a clean break), but it has a safety. Rock Island / Armscor makes lower cost M1911s, but they are well made.

Glocks might be dependable, but they have the ergonomics of a brick.

You need to try out a lot of different handguns and decide which one you like. Where are you located? Do they have gun shows around there? Go to the shooting ranges and talk with the other shooters and see what they are shooting. See if any of the nearby ranges hold USPSA or IDPA matches.

As someone who has spent most of his entire life around firearms, it's difficult for me to think that someone could actually be old enough to buy a handgun and never had any experience with any type of them. I guess times have changed...

Once you have an idea of what you want to buy, go over to ArmsList.com and check out what people have for sale. I've bought a few firearms from people on there in FTF transactions. I always get the serial number from them beforehand so that I can have my local PD run the numbers for me to see if it is stolen. This doesn't *guarantee* that it is not stolen, but helps.

Last edited:
Navy vet,
I have experience with both pistols and revolvers and I love both, they are both really cool and have a purpose so I didn't know what to get.

And I am probably going to get the S&W MP shield 9mm which does have a safety.

Last edited:
OK... No insult intended, but your original post came across like someone who had no experience with any sort of handgun, but was wanting someone to tell them what handgun to buy.

Ruger SR9c can be carried or taken to the range. In free states you can buy it with 2 magazines: a 10 round for concealed carry and a 17 round for range time.

On the heavier and larger side:
Surplus Browning Hi Powers are cheap online nowadays. 13 shot double stack magazines and has a reputation for accuracy and reliability.

Surplus Sig P6s with a standard single stack mag will hold 8 shots. Same description as the BHP above.

I'd also avoid the older surplus guns for carry, for the reasons stated. Not that I definitively know that you can't get them serviced, but because I don't definitively know that you can.

For CC, don't forget to factor in the cost of a decent belt and holster. Having those makes carry much more comfortable. Making carry much more comfortable increases the chance that you'll actually carry.

For CC, don't forget to factor in the cost of a decent belt and holster. Having those makes carry much more comfortable. Making carry much more comfortable increases the chance that you'll actually carry.

If you don't like having to tighten your belt so that your pants won't lean to one side due to the weight of the gun, you might want to consider suspenders. Yeah, laugh all you want, but it *does* work. :)

I have been thinking about the Berreta 92S in 9mm a Italy police import.
I won't be carrying a pistol for a while so I can get a nice small carry gun in 40 S&W after this.

I have been thinking about just getting a fun old pistol in 9mm first and then get a nice carry gun in 40 S&W maybe a Glock.

Beretta is a very nice fun company's and the 92FS is used by the U.S. military and the 92S is very similar just a Italian style gun, like the mag release is at the bottom corner of the gun, and just has some tiny things not as good as the 92FS. So I thought the gun would be very realiable. I can get it in excellent condition for $410 to the FLL dealer for pickup. It also can hold 15 rounds of 9mm in the clip so as self defense it's not that bad of a gun too for that too.

I've been researching it and a lot of people say it is very accurate and well worth the price especially because it can be a collectable gun too.

Does anybody have any personal experience with this gun or something to say about it. All is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

If you are interested in the Beretta 92S I would certainly check out this thread if you haven't already:

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=111450

You can find out just about anything you want to know about Berettas on that forum.

I have a Beretta 92FS. I have fondled the 92S a time or two, but never shot one. I see no reason it should shoot differently than the 92FS.

There are many small differences between the Beretta 92 FS and the 92S but undoubtedly the biggest functional differences are the magazine release and the safety. The 92 FS has a slide mounted, ambidextrous safety lever that functions as a decocker. The 92S is similar but lacks a lever on the right side of the pistol. The 92S also has a rounded trigger guard unlike the "combat" style contour on the front of the 92FS trigger guard.

The other difference is the location and nature of the magazine release button. The 92S button is not only in a different location, it cannot be switched to the other side like it can on a 92FS. So neither the safety nor the mag release on the 92S is "ambi" which is no big deal for a right-handed shooter. It also means that some magazines made for the 90 series Berettas will work and some won't. The 92S requires a magazine with a sizable cutout on the bottom, rear, right hand side of the magazine. Some new Beretta magazines for the 92FS have this cutout (in addition to the 2 smaller rectangular cutouts on either side of the front of the mag higher up) but others do not. This means you might not be able to buy high capacity (more than 15rd) mags for your 92S but you should be able to buy new 15 rd mags from Beretta and other vendors.

People seem to either love or hate Berettas. I suppose that is true for most, if not all handguns. I can find you many people who will say that the Beretta 90 series is the finest 9mm handgun ever made, and perhaps just as many who will say it is a complete POS.

What I think can be said is that the Beretta 90 series is a well-made and reliable pistol. People argue about its accuracy but there are certainly people who can shoot it competitively at the highest levels, and most Beretta owners find that they are more than adequate in terms of combat accuracy. What is pretty much inarguable is that the 92S, like the 92FS, has a fairly thick grip with a sizable grip circumference which can make the trigger reach for the DA trigger pull to much for comfort for some shooters. If you have never handled a Beretta 92 I would at least find someone with an M9/92FS to handle it, and preferably shoot it, before you decide on the 92S.

The Beretta is also an all metal pistol which makes it heavy, in some people's opinion. A criticism of the Beretta 92 series which is often heard is that the Beretta is "too big and heavy for just a 9 mm." Personally, I think the size and weight of a pistol should depend on the shooter's hand and intended usage, rather than the caliber for which it is chambered.

If you are new to handguns a nice K-frame 38 special ( or 357 magnum) has a whole lot to offer. Simple to operate, inexpensive ammo, they are not ammo sensitive, no magazine to worry with. Any 38/357 load that will chamber will shoot.
I have a police trade in , model 64 in 38 special, it gets shot the most because it's just so pleasant to shoot.
An adjustable sighted 357 magnum, is probably the most versatile all around gun you can own.
The demand for S&W K frame 357 magnums caused them to re-issue the model 66 this year after a 30 year lapse...why? Used ones were selling for $800 in good condition, when you could find one. People kept them.
So if you could find a deal on a new model 66 that is what I would get. If you can find a used one that would be just as good.
Gary

I have been looking around and I found the gun I wanted for a couple years now.

A polish p64 in 9x18 makerev.

What do you guys really think of it? Do you think 9x18 makerev is powerful enough if I ever want to use it as a concealed carry in a couple years or so? I will probably use it as target practice a lot and just because it's a very nice, cool gun to me.

Thanks,
Zach

generally speaking, good guns aren't cheap, and cheap guns aren't good.

i'd stick with 9mm, you can either shoot easy to find ball ammo at the range, or carry JHP ammo (i like Hornady Critical Duty) for personal protection. i'd avoid weird calibers.

my 2 cents.

DAB,
The P64 is a very well made pistol and a classic. People say it's more accurate than glocks and more durable cause it's all metal not polymer.

The 9x18 I agree is a kinda "weird" caliber but you can still find it online and at some stores and if you reload having a "weird" caliber doesn't matter as much. The 9x18 ammo is a very cheap caliber too. Almost as cheap as 9mm Luger.
My brother has a TTC tokerev in 7.62x25 and is all metal and I like the feel of that. The P64 replaced the Tokerev in military use in the 60's.

I just think if a military used it that it should be durable, accurate, and not a waste of money. This gun is also small so it could be used as a conceals carry too.

Zach

....and you can use 9mm Luger brass for it

Think about what you are saying. You are going to shoot an 18 mm cartridge in a 19 mm chamber? That should be interesting. The difference in the diameter at the case mouth might be enough to not chamber. If it did, there may not be enough clearance for the bullet to release which would result in excessive pressures. There is approximately 0.010" difference between the two.

Both cases head space in the case mouth. You would have a severe head space problem by doing that if it would chamber.

I have seen all sorts of excellent suggestions from these good people, and you asked for their suggestions.

Now you are talking in a completely different direction with the notion that you did not care what any one had to suggest and that you already had your mind made up from the beginning.

Waste of time in my opinion. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Dufus,

It is very possible to trim 9x19 to use in a 9x18 Makarov. He would be trimming 9x19 brass for a 9x18, not vice versa. Not sure how familiar you are about reloading, but the dies would size the 9x19 to within 9x18 spec as long as you trim the brass to the correct length. Once you shoot the converted brass once the case would fireform and all would be good. It may look a little weird at first, shoving a .365 inch bullet into a 9x19 case, but it would work.

John

Shooter: in lieu of hijacking the thread, just a question: what happens when you size a case with diameter of 0.390 to a diameter of 0.379?

shooter: my sincere apologies. My eye read the post right, but the brain cells said something else. I really thought I read that he was going the other way with it, meaning that I was thinking going from 9x18 to the 9x19 (Luger).

Back