What handgun to buy?

zachattack2

I would like a nice, practical handgun to get for myself. I don't know if I want a revolver of pistol? I would like it if the caliber is cheap. I would like to buy a gun around $400 if can or maybe even cheaper for a surplus gun.

If I get a revolver I want to get it in. 357 magnum so I could out it in 38 special too. But a 38 special only revolver wouldn't be bad. If I got a pistol I would like to get it in 9mm Luger because it's not so weak but very popular/available and very cheap ammo.

I dnot really know what gun I would want at all really but I have looked at the Tokerev m70 in 9mm Luger for only$250 and a star model super b in 9mm Luger for $330.
Other than that I don't really know this is why I am asking you guys. Can you guys please help me find a handgun to get.

All comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

I like pistols a lot more than revolvers, personally. Mine shoot 9mm because the ammo is cheap, recoil is light, and they have a higher magazine capacity. There are tons of full size pistols on sale from various vendors right now. People have their brand preferences, but most of them are good to go these days. I personally wouldn't be a buyer of a Turkish gun or a S&W SW9VE (S&W M&P is a great gun though). Check out slickguns.com and see what they have.

OK, Just go buy a used NORINCO Model 213 or a new SCCY Model CPX-2.

Simple, easy and done.

Or, you can do it like a lot of us others and go shop for a handgun. It is part of the enjoyment of acquiring a firearm or most other things in life. :)

Blchandl,
I have looked at the the Arcus and I love it.

Does anybody have any other opinions or personal experience of these guns.
Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

If you want a good solid and reliable 9mm semi auto at an attractive price, you may want to be on the look out for a Ruger P95. IMO the P95 is one of Ruger's best semi autos. Used ones in decent shape go for around $300.

If you want a good solid and reliable 9mm semi auto at an attractive price, you may want to be on the look out for a Ruger P95. IMO the P95 is one of Ruger's best semi autos. Used ones in decent shape go for around $300.

Which, amazingly, is a little more than what they went for new on GB when they were still in production. But I agree, the P95 is a great gun.

The current Sigma, the SD9VE, is also a very good gun for the money. The Sigma gets a bad rap because of problems with the earliest Sigma two decades ago, but those issues were remedied long ago.

The Ruger SR9e is the economy version of the SR9, which is a very good gun. It will be a bit more expensive than the Sigma, most likely.

If you want a metal-framed pistol, the Turkish gun that I'd recommend is the Stoeger Cougar. I think it's possibly the best value in a service-size 9mm pistol available today. Stoeger is a subsidiary of Beretta, and the Cougar is made on the same tooling that Beretta once used to produce the Cougar under its name. The Stoeger version doesn't have quite the refinement of the Berettas, but it's still quite refined for its price point, which is about half of what the Beretta Cougar used to sell for. Great guns.

Try to figure out if you have a strong preference for either hammer-fired, DA/SA guns or striker-fired guns and either metal-framed or plastic-framed guns. If so, that will help you narrow down your search.

Nothing wrong with a Star Model B. Yes they were built in the forties but they have a magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator and are made of steel. The mags hold 8 and can be had on ebay for between $22 and $34 you might even luck out and find one with Waffen stamps.

There are some very good recommendations, so far.
Please don't think you have to purchase a new gun.
Please don't think you have to purchase a "Made in the USA" gun.
There are many, many options out there. Many great bargains on the pre-owned market.
Another worthy consideration in my book would be the Zastava M70 or M70A (sometimes referred as a "Yugo"). 9mm, solid steel, dependable, accurate, easy to disassemble and clean. In the past several years, I have grown to respect and appreciate the old Comm Bloc guns like Macarov, CZ, Zastava, etc. A little research will possibly win you over, too. The Zastavas are fresh off the assembly lines with a several upgrades over the older Comm Blocs.
Good luck and enjoy your quest.

From what I understand, the SD9VE is not a Sigma but the pistol that replaced it. I paid $289.99 for mine and have been very pleased. It is the size and weight of a Glock 19 with a similar function but a heavier trigger. It was the best value I could find with the best warranty. I would buy it again without hesitation.

What handgun to buy?
I would like a nice, practical handgun to get for myself.

zachattack2

Like that question hasn't been asked before. You haven't been around long -- this sort of question gets asked frequently. You'll get lots of opinonions (a misspelling I'll leave stand).

There are lots of options in that price range. Some good, some not.

For just a general "I just want a handgun for no specific reason" gun, I might look at the new Ruger SR9 Essentials version. Basic gun from a vendor with a good reputation for support.

I don't know if I want a revolver of pistol? I would like it if the caliber is cheap. I would like to buy a gun around $400 if can or maybe even cheaper for a surplus gun.

Focus. What's it for?

Decide what it is you expect this gun to do.

That will give you a better idea of the cartridge requirement.

The next step is handling as many as you can to find what feels right, since that is as important as the round is uses

Asking others only tells you what they like, and not what YOU will like, or what will fit your hand

+1 ^. There are naturally just too many varibles to recommend something for you to look for. Find a range that has rentals and see what you like. Then you will have a good starting point. Many people may recommend Glock, I for one can't stand how a Glock feels in my hand. Like any recommendation, it all boils down to your personal taste.

First gun?

IMO you can't beat the one you already mentioned...the .357 revolver. That being said, good luck finding one (even used) for $400. Best I've seen locally on well used .357's around here was in the high 600's.

When I was researching my first semiauto about 3 years ago Glock was suggested. Took that advice and have not regretted that decision. I was wanting a 9mm, like you, but I ran up on a great deal on a .40 SW model G23. Bought it when I found that a $100 conversion barrel and a $30 9mm mag would later allow for 9mm shooting. That gun runs great in both modes.

Matter of fact, I just bought a brand new looking G23 for $400 about three weeks ago.

Go to a gun show, touch and feel guns. 9mm is all I can really suggest over other calibers for a new shooter, and that is only because ammo cost will give you the most ammo to practice.

For that price range personally I would go Bersa or Tanfoglio. I have both and no real issues with either, but you have your own ideas as to look and feel preference. There are many options in that price range.

IMO you can't beat the one you already mentioned...the .357 revolver. That being said, good luck finding one (even used) for $400. Best I've seen locally on well used .357's around here was in the high 600's.

I have seen one or two used Ruger GP100s recently that superficially looked to be in good condition, in the $350-400 price range.

I agree a revolver rated for .357 Magnum is a good choice as it allows for a wide range of loads varying in power all the way from lite 38 Special, through 38 Sp P+ up to .357 Magnum loads of various projectile weight and power.

But it is really hard to make intelligent suggestions unless the OP establishes some priorities such as:

Will this handgun be called upon to serve as a self-defense weapon or is it strictly going to be a range gun?

If it is to be a capable SD gun will it ever be carried/concealed?

How much handgun experience does the OP have and how much time are they willing to invest in training with said handgun if they don't have a whole lot?

How much and how often will the gun be shot?

Obviously a big gun that serves well to absorb recoil while target shooting may not be so great to carry or conceal.

Revolvers have fewer controls to master than most semi-automatic pistols and typically have fewer reliability issues. They are also much more ammunition tolerant.

Ammunition expense and availability is obviously important but ammo cost is not as big a factor for someone who shoots relatively infrequently.

As far as caliber is concerned, if the gun might be called on to serve in a self-defense capacity I think the logical choices are certainly 9mm for a semi-automatic pistol, and for a revolver one that will at least be rated for 38 Special P + ammo, and preferably one chambered for .357 Magnum. There was a time that .380 auto pistols offered advantages in portability and concealment that just weren't available with 9mm, but there are many high quality subcompact 9s now and 9mm tends to be cheaper and more widely available than .380 auto.

Back