What guns you don't like and why?

Not a fan of Taurus. Our family has gone 0:3 on them as far as getting one that ran right out of the box. I rank their quality only slightly above a Hi-Point.

I forgot to comment on this before. I think there's a good case to be made for ranking Taurus under Hi-Point, actually.

It goes without saying that steel is far preferable to zinc alloy, but higher-quality raw materials mean less if the products made with them function significantly less often. (Hi-Point slides are also made with enough of the stuff to ensure the gun is not an actual danger to the shooter.) Hi-Points are crude, but they usually work. If one doesn't function reliably out of the box, the fix usually involves a minor adjustment to the magazine feed lips with a pair of pliers and perhaps a little polishing of the feed ramp. Since the guns don't use locked-breech actions, they're comparatively simple devices. A locked-breech action with Taurus tolerances, machining quality, and overall quality control is a bundle of problems waiting to happen. And if a Hi-Point has to go back to the factory, it will almost always come back working. Problems with a good number of Tauri seem to be beyond the capacity of their gunsmiths to understand and resolve them.

I think almost every gun ever made is fantastic and I (mostly) love them all. There are, however, a couple of "types" of guns that don't really interest me, but I do have what I consider valid reasons.

I hate cheap guns... and by cheap, I mean the Davis, Cobra, Bryco, Hi Point, et ceteras of what I consider the lowest quality of firearms available. I hear repeatedly that some of them work but it will never convince me that it is anything other than a range toy with very little intrinsic value. They are sold for low dollars, will not appreciate in value, are made with the lowest quality of parts, machining and labor (like the "Made in China" of work tools!) and barely work for the vast majority of people (again, kind of like those Chinese Allen wrenches made of pot metal themselves!). Far be it for me to tell a person how to spend their money, but you should never buy one of these!

Very generally, I am not very into double action triggers at all. This is direct contrast to my love of revolvers, but I really just learned to deal with it in this case. I would never deny myself the joy of a beautiful revolver. The one Glock I've ever pulled a trigger on was sweet to me, but that is pretty much the extent of my striker-fire experience. I love DA/SA guns, but I just can't stand the DA trigger. Because of this, I won't buy one unless it's one of those "can't-walk-away-from-that-deal" scenarios (rare).

I don't do black powder because frankly it just doesn't interest me. I think the guns are gorgeous and they are plenty accurate for their practical use. But that's just my issue. They aren't practical.

And I'll finish it by mentioning that impractical guns baffle me. I know people love Desert Eagles and S&W 500s. I'm sure they are wonderful. They just don't resonate with me. Not my style, I guess.

Third generation S&W pistols. I know it's kinda odd, I love their 10MM's, but have no love for any others. Not sure what it is about them....

I hate cheap guns... and by cheap, I mean the Davis, Cobra, Bryco, Hi Point, et ceteras of what I consider the lowest quality of firearms available. I hear repeatedly that some of them work but it will never convince me that it is anything other than a range toy with very little intrinsic value. They are sold for low dollars, will not appreciate in value, are made with the lowest quality of parts, machining and labor (like the "Made in China" of work tools!) and barely work for the vast majority of people (again, kind of like those Chinese Allen wrenches made of pot metal themselves!). Far be it for me to tell a person how to spend their money, but you should never buy one of these!

A Hi-Point is not a high-quality pistol by any stretch of the imagination, but it definitely doesn't deserve to be grouped with the self-destructing trash from Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, Raven, Davis, at al. Guns of the latter brands are actually dangerous to the shooter, commonly experiencing catastrophic failure of some sort with double-digit round counts. That's definitely not the case with a Hi-Point; Hi-Points will generally last many thousands of rounds. Hi-Points can also be made to function reliably without much trouble, which is not the case for the latter brands' pistols (during the brief period before one or more of their major components disintegrates).

I would never even fire a gun from Jennings, Lorcin, et al, much less own one. The risk of an injury to my hand or of having zinc shards embedded in my face, however small, is real enough to not be worth it. On the other hand, I wouldn't have any qualms about shooting a Hi-Point. For someone whose income is truly too low for them to be able to afford a higher-quality pistol for HD/SD, a Hi-Point is not a bad choice (though I'd of course always encourage them to find a way to stretch their money enough to get up to a S&W SD9VE or used Ruger P89/P95).

Kahr

I had a Kahr P380. However, due to my less than stout handgrip, I experienced many feed/ ejection issues. They just don't suit my style and hand strength. That said, many people like them.

I had a Kahr P380. However, due to my less than stout handgrip, I experienced many feed/ ejection issues. They just don't suit my style and hand strength. That said, many people like them.

It might not have just been your grip. That model has been problematic as hell.

...the self-destructing trash from Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, Raven, Davis, at al. Guns of the latter brands are actually dangerous to the shooter, commonly experiencing catastrophic failure of some sort with double-digit round counts.

LOL! I still have the Raven .25 I bought in 1981 after I got robbed working at a gas station. I was a college kid, and the price was right. My friend bought the .22 Jennings a few years later after shooting mine. I shot them both frequntly.

I still have it today, and occasionally carry it when the .38 is not practical. It's had hundreds of rounds shot through it. I replaced a broken firing pin in the 90's. I've never heard of a case of failure causing injury to the shooter. When you make a product that causes injury to the user, it makes for lots of easy lawsuits. I've never heard of lawsuits on any of these makers, but maybe you are aware of specific cases.

They are certainly budget guns, and I can understand people not much appreciating them if they can afford something better, but I'd hardly call them dangerous to the shooter.

What guns you don't like and why

I do not like 9mm due to over penetration issues in urban settings. I like the .380, which is very close to a .38 special. I carry nothing but a .45.

I enjoy all guns, but personally, I'm not a big fan of polymer autos. I've got nothing against them, they just aren't my thing. I've never liked the way they felt when firing (not as solid feeling to my hand as an all steel gun).

Glocks in particular just feel wrong in my hand. I never seem to be able to get a consistent and comfortable grip on them.

I've never cared to much for glocks. Functional and completely sound design. Super reliable. Also ugly and blocky. For some reason I have never been able to shoot accurately with one. I also am not found of kimber. Over hyped and over priced. Many better guns for lot less $$$.

I haven't ever seen a glock I liked, after being burnt with 2 junks when they were hot material...

I don't like many revolvers that aren't S&W Performance center guns, I have played with a few of the Rugers, just not happy enough with the action to spend money on it...

What I do like, Walther PPK/S, 32, 380 very nice reliable guns, enough weight to tame the recoil, well balanced, easy to shoot in high stress situations, IMO a great shooter, back up carry, primary carry, great for women, and all around nice small gun... BUT NOT CHEAP, I have 2 of them and they were both around $800, for a small gun that is a lot, but I obviously think they were worth the cost, since they are in the safe...

I also like a well made 1911, Now this can be a ria or springfield milspec that has been worked, ed brown, wilson, les baer, dan wesson all make nice guns {I own at least 1 of each and 4 of some}...

Again not cheap, you aren't going to find a reliable well made 1911 for $650 new, IMO entry level in the 1911 is the dan wesson heritage rz45 around $1100 and the gun is amazing for that price, I own 2 of them, 1 is worked a little, changed the grips, had the barrel flushed and crowned, front strap checkered, a trigger and trigger job se thte way I like it, and some internal polishing, I am into that gun for under $1500 and its absolutely amazing...

The best middle of the road 1911 IMO is the Ed Brown Special forces nice gun for the money, gets you into a full custom that is very reliable, close second would be the dan wesson valor, less money but not more for less money IMO, the brown is worth the extra couple hundred in resale value alone...

Les Baer also makes a really nice gun, for me I like them for target shooting, the Bullseye 1.5" promise with a burris bead mounted is about the most accurate 1911 I have ever shot, I have owned 2 of them and love them, now its nothing you are going to carry, but its something fun to shoot when your buddies are grouping 3" with their glock and you put 5 semi wad hand loads touching in the 10 ring in 3 seconds..

So obviously I like 1911's!!!

I guess it all depends on what you are doing with the gun, I honestly have never seen a single "do it all" pistol, HD, ccw, target, ect... And in each of them fields I have a favorite...

As far as disliking an entire brand, I can say I do not like some of the lower quality guns, llama, para, taurus, but mostly because I have had issues with them or know someone who has... Although any gun that fires is better than no gun...

The best middle of the road 1911 IMO is the Ed Brown Special forces nice gun for the money, gets you into a full custom that is very reliable

Not to nitpick, but Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and the like don't make "full custom" 1911s. You have to look to the likes of Ted Yost, Brandon Strayer, Paul Liebenberg, Mark Morris, et al. for that.

I consider any hand fitted 1911 "full custom" , I agree there are some builder that are great and do a great job. I have a local guy that does my work and has built me a few 1911's, they are awesome and he does exactly what I ask for, but I am not patient enough to buy just them, plus IMO when going through something like that you want a "local" guy that can work on the gun for you a drive away with no shipping...

Thats for another post, I do agree {I have owned a Yost gun second hand} and have had my share of 1 man shop built guns, but while in 1911's the build is the most important factor, Wilson, brown, baer, ect do more than good enough, I think of it this way, my ls7 engine was hand built by a chevy tech {his name is on it} and I have an LS2 built by a nationally known chevrolet engine builder, hes a magician with these engines, I gave him $26K to do the work and it came great, but for much less money the ls7 is better, its not as personalised, but it came faster, just as reliable, cost less, warranty by a company that I know is going to be there tomorrow {I had an engine builder years ago that passed away from a stroke 22 days after I picked up my engine, it wasn't even installed yet, how do I collect on that warranty?

Anyway, you can get a really nice gun from teh companies I listed, and there are other guys that produce really nice guns also, I try to keep resale value, warranty, initial investment, and reputation in mind too... If I wanted something that them guys couldn't do I would go to my custom guy and have him build it but with whats available now I cant think of much they didn't already...

I consider any hand fitted 1911 "full custom"

That's fine, but that's an extremely non-standard usage.

Dan Wessons are hand-fitted as well, and no one is calling them full custom 1911s. Hell, there are RIA models that receive hand-fitting in Armscor's so-called "custom shop." If we're using terms and definitions that collapse RIAs, Dan Wessons, Wilsons, and Infinitys into a single category, then we're using terms and definitions that are too broad to be of any use.

In common usage, hand-fitting is much more necessary than sufficient for the characterization of "full custom" or "semi custom," as a number of guns viewed as production guns receive some level of hand-fitting.

I own a number of production pistols and revolvers that received extensive hand-fitting. This was obviously more common in bygone years, but those guns were still production guns, regardless of the many hours a gunsmith spent hand-fitting the parts.

I dislike glocks because
-I don't like polymer frames
-I think they are ugly
-I think their grips are as ergonomic as a 4x4 block
-I don't like their triggers
-they are too popular. Like an iPhone. They are like a bandwagon for firearms.

I also don't like S&W M&P pistols because the one I owned the trigger was the biggest piece of crap you ever pulled.

I guess I'm new school because I hate big honking safeties and magazine disconnects, even though I enjoy my 5906 very much. My 1911 is pretty nice too. :D

Back