What gun do you keep in your truck?

Years ago when I moved to Maine seeing guns in racks in trucks was pretty common. Even parked vehicles. Way too many junkies for that now.

Did you leave the keys in it?

No, I never leave keys (or guns) in the truck.
My truck got jacked a few years ago. It was recovered three weeks later and the thieves were arrested but only because of the game cameras.
There were actually two thieves involved with this. Both were ex-cons on parole. Since then, I've installed GPS tracking on all my trucks. I also use Apple's Airtags on about everything else (including my dog).

PhJj3SX.jpg

NnfOCvJ.jpg

PD51BHt.jpg

Last edited:
I remember back in the 60’s in high school pretty much every pickup in the parking lot had a rifle or shotgun or both in a gun rack unlocked. This was in North Dakota. Then around the mid seventies or so these guns started disappearing all around the county. The sheriff had a suspect and set up a sting. They caught the culprit, it was one of his own deputies. When they searched his property they found all kinds of stereos, guns, tools, and even a boat, close to half a million dollars in stolen goods. Apparently he had a whole network of punks steeling for him because he was blackmailing them on bogus criminal charges and one of them ratted him out to the sheriff. Moral of the story, you never know just who might be responsible for these thefts.

Part of a problem

I would like to think that I and most all the fine folks here would think of themselves as one of the "good guys"
As one of the good guys, putting guns in the hands of criminals is not something to contribute to.

Lots of homeless on the street, lots of cars on the street. Many are homeless due to drug abuse addiction, living on the street is free.

The reason that many are on the street is not free, takes money to satisfy that monkey on their back.

A locked vehicle is NOT secure. Adding a lock box as pictured is a requirement if you must frequent metro areas.

I don't keep a gun in my vehicle. For personal defense, what's the point? If you can get to your vehicle to retrieve your weapon, you can also drive away.

Say you’re broke down on the side of the highway and you’re waiting for a tow truck and some very suspicious car pulls up behind you or a pedestrian walking down the road….. you gonna just drive away? You’re stuck in traffic…. You gonna just run them cars over as you drive away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point is that I keep a "bigger" gun in the car than the one I carry with me.

Thats me too. My carry gun’s only a compact but the gun I was carrying in my lockbox is a full-size.

BTW, I took it out the other day because some of y’all are right, it really doesn’t need to be stored in there when there’s no long trips underway.

Say you’re broke down on the side of the highway and you’re waiting for a tow truck and some very suspicious car pulls up behind you or a pedestrian walking down the road….. you gonna just drive away? You’re stuck in traffic…. You gonna just run them cars over as you drive away?

I have always considered a situation like you mention where my first instinct would be to exit my vehicle. I would want my gun on me and that's why I have a CCW so it moves with me.

Thats me too. My carry gun’s only a compact but the gun I was carrying in my lockbox is a full-size.

BTW, I took it out the other day because some of y’all are right, it really doesn’t need to be stored in there when there’s no long trips underway.

When traveling, I sometimes have a larger gun with me as well as my CCW. I keep in in a sling bag close enough that I can grab it and take it with me quickly. I agree with your decision to remove the gun from your car and commend you for coming to that decision.

An innovative way for those of us who want to keep a firearm in a vehicle secured and hidden from view are the "Ram Boxes", an option you can get on Ram pickup trucks.

These days I normally only "travel" long distances to visit friends. It's about 150 miles, part of it heavily traveled interstate, part of it less well traveled local roads.

I've started packing a Kel Tech Sub 2000 carbine in 9mm with a couple of 33-round Glock magazines along with my standard .38 revolver.

I don't have any problems keeping the Sub 2000 in its car carrier when I'm at their place because it's very rural, but I generally bring it inside with me in any event.

I have always considered a situation like you mention where my first instinct would be to exit my vehicle. I would want my gun on me and that's why I have a CCW so it moves with me.

When traveling, I sometimes have a larger gun with me as well as my CCW. I keep in in a sling bag close enough that I can grab it and take it with me quickly.

I guess I can understand if you were broke down on the side of the highway but in traffic or at a stoplight? I don’t know if I’d want to get out of my car if I thought I was about to be carjacked but then again, when in your vehicle, your carry gun should probably be in a place that’s not concealed on your person for easier, quicker access should you need it. I bought a holster specifically for that, that is mounted to the side of my console so that technically when I’m in the truck, either my pocket pistol or the gun I was leaving secured in the lockbox in my console can go in that and when I get out, if it’s my carry pistol, it’ll come out and go back in my pocket or if it was the gun that was staying secured in the console lock box, it would just go back in the lock box while my carry pistol never even came out of my pocket.
1dcbd77819df8e7458bd6062e2861ad4.jpg

I agree with your decision to remove the gun from your car and commend you for coming to that decision.
Egh, it’s no biggie. That gun’s been stashed I that lock box for almost three years. I only took it out because it really just doesn’t need to stay in there all the time being exposed to the summer heat and winter cold.

An innovative way for those of us who want to keep a firearm in a vehicle secured and hidden from view are the "Ram Boxes", an option you can get on Ram pickup trucks.

Agreed, that’s probably one place someone wouldn’t think anyone had a gun stashed but those Ram Boxes aren’t very secure even though they are lockable.

If you really want a good lock place, the floor boxes in late model Rams is pretty innovative because the rear floor mats cover them up. They even make steel lock boxes to go in them.

I drive a 4th-gen Ford Taurus, and have to deal with the gun free school zone act at my workplace. At the present time I do not carry a firearm in my vehicle, but I am certainly not going to trust any locks on the car or any amount of concealment to keep a firearm safe from a determined thief. If I had to disarm and store a carry gun in the car, it would be in a locked box stored under the seat and secured to the frame of the vehicle with a steel cable. I would never leave even a relatively well-secured firearm in a vehicle overnight (or even during the day) unless absolutely necessary.

Those rubber coated steel cables that come with the lock boxes... better than nothing, but a Leatherman tool can cut through them.

Those rubber coated steel cables that come with the lock boxes... better than nothing, but a Leatherman tool can cut through them.

Sure, those are better than nothing but both Locker’ Down and Console Vault make good quality vehicle safes for almost every vehicle out there.

Whatever I am carrying for the day depending upon what I will be doing that day. In most cases, it will be a Glock 17 Gen. 3. I don’t leave one in a vehicle.

I have a lock box I installed in my Jeep that has proven itself a few times. To mount it you have to remove the front seat bolts then slide the mounting bracket under the seat mount and put the bolts back in through the seat and box mounts. That box isn't going anywhere.

Before I started parking in my garage, I parked in the front of the house right under a camera. Three times I saw someone rifle through my car looking for something to steal. Twice they saw the box but didn't even attempt to open it and the third didn't even see it.

I feel comfortable leaving my gun in there while running errands and I have to go in somewhere unfriendly to guns but even though it is safe, I feel no need to leave anything in there over night.

Back