What gun do you keep in your truck?

"Sure, those are better than nothing but both Locker’ Down and Console Vault make good quality vehicle safes for almost every vehicle out there."

Oddly enough, they don't appear to make anything for Subaru Foresters, which is what I drive.

"Sure, those are better than nothing but both Locker’ Down and Console Vault make good quality vehicle safes for almost every vehicle out there."

Oddly enough, they don't appear to make anything for Subaru Foresters, which is what I drive.

While not very likely this happened to a friend.

I went by the shop that services my vehicles a while back and the owner mentioned to me that his F250 console vault was broken into recently during the day (lunch) at a Red Lobster parking lot. He said he was surprised and apparently a cordless sawzall was used. The door wasn't cut, just the latch. If you have seen how the locking cam works on these you will understand.

They were then able to bend the door and get it open. He said they broke the knob off the combo lock, but the lock was not breached. He said he can't imagine it took them more than just a couple minutes.

Seems to me they targeted him thinking there would be a gun in the console. He didn't have one there this time. I guess with all the guns being left in vehicles, the thieves are doing what they need to and possibly carrying more tools. At least this one was.

I bought a holster specifically for that, that is mounted to the side of my console so that technically when I’m in the truck, either my pocket pistol or the gun I was leaving secured in the lockbox in my console can go in that and when I get out, if it’s my carry pistol, it’ll come out and go back in my pocket or if it was the gun that was staying secured in the console lock box, it would just go back in the lock box while my carry pistol never even came out of my pocket.
1dcbd77819df8e7458bd6062e2861ad4.jpg

I know a lot of people have adapted appendix carry when driving so they can easily access their holstered handgun. While I see the attraction to these types of mounted holsters and gun magnets in a vehicle, the way I understand the law in Texas is that they are not legal since the gun is not out of plain sight. Be sure and check your State's laws.

No level of security is ever truly secure.

What you're attempting to do is build in obstacles that the thief is either unable or unwilling to try to defeat.

In this case, the thief was able to defeat the obstacle. He had the means and the time in which to do it and was willing to take the risk of being discovered.

As good as these things are and as popular as they are, I’m surprised at least one of them doesn’t have a model that will work with virtually any car but you might get with one of them and see what your options are. I’m not familiar with Subaru so, is there really that much difference between your Forester and a Legacy or even an Outback? Hell, if you know of anybody who can weld, you could probably buy some steel and have one custom made for your application for a lot cheaper than if one of those two companies were to have one. Might be worth checking into. I don’t know how handy you are in the garage but like for my Ram, if they didn’t have one, a couple of pieces of plate steel cut to size with a cut-off wheel, a can of that undercarriage rattle can paint and a lock mechanism you can get virtually anywhere online and there ya go. There’s not that much to them, just a bottom, four sides and a top with a spring-operated lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a lot of people have adapted appendix carry when driving so they can easily access their holstered handgun. While I see the attraction to these types of mounted holsters and gun magnets in a vehicle, the way I understand the law in Texas is that they are not legal since the gun is not out of plain sight. Be sure and check your State's laws.

Appendix carry just doesn’t work for everybody, though. I’d love to try it but it just won’t work for me, that’s why I pocket carry and why I have a second gun that I keep in my backpack for when I’m at work in my semi or when I’m in the pickup traveling, that pistol you see in my custom holster is only there when driving. If I stop anywhere, it comes out of the holster and goes in the lockbox.

But yeah, I know what you’re saying and hopefully you’re not just addressing me personally because the gun you see in that holster… doesn’t stay there when the vehicle is parked and unoccupied and since I have my permit strictly for out of state reciprocity, none of my guns have to be out of sight, nor do they have to not be on my person.

While not very likely this happened to a friend.

I went by the shop that services my vehicles a while back and the owner mentioned to me that his F250 console vault was broken into recently during the day (lunch) at a Red Lobster parking lot. He said he was surprised and apparently a cordless sawzall was used. The door wasn't cut, just the latch. If you have seen how the locking cam works on these you will understand.

They were then able to bend the door and get it open. He said they broke the knob off the combo lock, but the lock was not breached. He said he can't imagine it took them more than just a couple minutes.

Seems to me they targeted him thinking there would be a gun in the console. He didn't have one there this time. I guess with all the guns being left in vehicles, the thieves are doing what they need to and possibly carrying more tools. At least this one was.

No level of security is ever truly secure.

What you're attempting to do is build in obstacles that the thief is either unable or unwilling to try to defeat.

In this case, the thief was able to defeat the obstacle. He had the means and the time in which to do it and was willing to take the risk of being discovered.
So uh, the whole time this dude’s safe was being breached, was his alarm not going off at the same time?

I’m not trying to make my Lock-er Down safe seem invincible but after just taking a quick peek at mine, there’s no way for a saws-all blade to even get to the latch because of the way the lid’s designed, it overlaps the opening. The only thing exposed and unprotected is basically a beefed up piano hinge-style hinge on steroids that’s made out of very thick steel that’s about 9 inches long, almost as long as the lid is. I guess if they had a brand new sharp blade that could cut through that as fast as possible while doing it with the ultra-loud dual note PIAA Super Bass horns going off, they might breach it.

So uh, the whole time this dude’s safe was being breached, was his alarm not going off at the same time?

I’m not trying to make my Lock-er Down safe seem invincible but after just taking a quick peek at mine, there’s no way for a saws-all blade to even get to the latch because of the way the lid’s designed, it overlaps the opening. The only thing exposed and unprotected is basically a beefed up piano hinge-style hinge on steroids that’s made out of very thick steel that’s about 9 inches long, almost as long as the lid is. I guess if they had a brand new sharp blade that could cut through that as fast as possible while doing it with the ultra-loud dual note PIAA Super Bass horns going off, they might breach it.

I'm not sure about the alarm. I know I had a Suburban broken into while inside a Chili's and only realized it when getting in the alarm gave that extra chirp to indicate the alarm was set off. Nobody even pays attention to them and you won't hear it inside a restaurant.

You have the Extreme version and it was because of my friends incident that they stated offering that. Seems like it is effective to stop what I mentioned or at least slow it down significantly. As far as I know Console Vault does not offer it.

"Nobody even pays attention to them and you won't hear it inside a restaurant."

Exactly. Car alarms sounding have become so ubiquitous that no one bats a freaking eye at them anymore. They're really next to useless.

I'm not sure about the alarm. I know I had a Suburban broken into while inside a Chili's and only realized it when getting in the alarm gave that extra chirp to indicate the alarm was set off. Nobody even pays attention to them and you won't hear it inside a restaurant.

Exactly. Car alarms sounding have become so ubiquitous that no one bats a freaking eye at them anymore. They're really next to useless.

I dunno, maybe I was just lucky that day we were on vacation when we were in a restaurant and while fiddling with my hands in my pockets waiting in line I musta hit the panic button on my fob by mistake because some guy came walking in hollering out the dude with the Dodge pickup has his alarm going off…lol.

You have the Extreme version and it was because of my friends incident that they stated offering that. Seems like it is effective to stop what I mentioned or at least slow it down significantly. As far as I know Console Vault does not offer it.

I almost bought a console vault but after looking, I liked the Locker Down much better. Ended up being twice as much with the electronic lock.

"some guy came walking in hollering out the dude with the Dodge pickup has his alarm going off…lol."

Probably because it was pissing him off and nothing more.

"Subaru. Liberal. Not likely firearm owner."

Wear the trappings of your enemy so as to blend and observe.

Likely to get banned, but..

Subaru. Liberal. Not likely firearm owner.

Sorry.. couldn't resist! :D

Hey, those Subarus are badass. My mom had and ole 87 GL 3-door hatchback back in the day and that thing was a beast. Lock it down in four-wheel and you almost couldn’t get that thing stuck.

In the 1980s and 90s, there was a vehicle safe made that used an outer shell that the safe slid into. This shell had holes in it and it was screwed/bolted under your seat, When the safe was slid into the mount, the screws were covered and the safe was secured in the mount. They weren't for quick access, but were great for storing a gun when necessary. I still have a couple, but the floorboards under my seats are very uneven and I can't effectively mount them.

Probably because it was pissing him off and nothing more.

Well maybe so but at least he took the time to say something.

Now, I could be wrong but a car alarm just going off with the doors closed with no one molestering the vehicle might go unnoticed to a certain extent but I would be willing to bet you anything the situation would be a whole lot more noticed if there was some guy inside it desperately running a saws-all or rummaging through it awful quickly. At least I would hope, anyways. If I saw that, I’d definitely be on the horn with 911.

Well maybe so but at least he took the time to say something.

Now, I could be wrong but a car alarm just going off with the doors closed with no one molestering the vehicle might go unnoticed to a certain extent but I would be willing to bet you anything the situation would be a whole lot more noticed if there was some guy inside it desperately running a saws-all or rummaging through it awful quickly. At least I would hope, anyways. If I saw that, I’d definitely be on the horn with 911.

My personal experience is that most people are oblivious or at the very least apathetic. I’ve personally seen situations where I had to intervene where others walked around like nothing was happening (not intervene with a firearm either).

Years ago I watched a video of a taxi run over a man that had been assaulted and left unconscious in a crosswalk. People literally stepped over the man to get through the crosswalk. This went on for over a minute. Eventually the man was run over and killed by a taxi.

Is it possible someone will pay attention to a car alarm and intervene or at least call the police? Absolutely. I just wouldn’t bet on it.

I don't even give a second look if I hear a car alarm going off and see someone standing at, or actually in, the car itself.

Most of the time it's the owner who triggered the alarm inadvertently and I'm certainly not going to draw down and hold the person, nor do I expect someone to do that with my car.

Back