What do you think about this rifle? (358 Win Custom)

GAMEOVER said:
But, you cant tell me a 358 with a 10 round mag wouldnt be hell in a home defense situation.

Personally, I can't think of a much worse choice for HD, but it's your rifle and you're obviously smitten with its power and tactical-ness. Hopefully, you'll never have to reply on it and/or you live somewhere in Detroit that doesn't have others living close by.

Let's go over this one more time......You traded a Winchester Model 70CF for a Ruger?

That's like trading a Corvette for a Geo Metro.

Skywag: Thats not like trading for a geo metro its a custom rifle what dont you get.. this 358 is WAY better and thats why I traded. It also suited MY NEEDs better. My 300 WSM didnt even have a scope or anything this thing not only has a scope but probably some of the best Iron Sites money can buy. Your comment seems off. WAY off. Plus a Shilen MATCH GRADE barrel is on it. I dont get your logic. Please elaborate. And whats so wrong with Ruger?? They make some damn fine guns some even legendary. Highly doubt my father whos a Vietnam war vet and gunsmith for YEARs would trade me this for christmas and rip me off.:confused:

MrBorland: Hopefully it never comes down to it (hd situation). Ill work on another option at a later date I need to get this rifle dialed in and more familiar with it. People use AK 47s to defend their home, do you think thats overkill too? Because these criminals in Detroit dont care they will walk right down the street in brood daylight with AK 47s. My 9mm XDm was stolen right out of my house. So I currently own no handguns. A tact 12 guage is in my future as well as a certain Colt.

Just for kicks I called 5 gun shops in my local area and NONE of them had 358 in and 2 of the 5 dont even have it through their distributer. Looks like I just got forced to handload. I dont know why I seen it before but not now. Im pretty bummed. Where can I even get 358 brass?

Last edited:
You did the trade you feel you came out ahead, it's a done deal don't try to argue your point with anyone. However, next time you go to make a trade do a little research and it'll save you a lot of headache. If you don't reload you should always take ammunition availability into consideration before making a firearm trade or purchase.

I'm sure your father will help you, especially since he traded you the rifle. Don't over complicate things, go out and shoot and enjoy your new rifle. Let us know as soon as you do how she shoots.

You don't need .358 Win brass, all you need to find is .308 Win brass and you'll be golden. Then all you need to do is run the brass through your .358 Win sizing die and you'll have properly sized brass. Besides you have 100 pieces already in that Hornady ammunition that you got with the rifle. You'll be able to reload them a few times before you'll need different brass anyway.

Last edited:
Back