What do you think about this rifle? (358 Win Custom)

I have always wondered why the mid-bore cartridges have not been a success.
35 Remington at one time was the exception to the above statement, but as of late it seems destined to obscurity.
My only guess would be recoil played a major role in their lack of popularity. 350 Rem mag is my favorite. I have two rifles chambered for it. I have it in a 660 and a 700. The 700 is obnoxious and the 660 is pure brutal. What I feel on my shoulder tells me the 660 recoils harder than my mod 70 .458 Win mag. It seems that the desire to put the mid bores primarily in light, short rifles has much to do with their demise. If it recoils like a big bore, I might as well shoot a big bore.

I had a .358 Win in a Savage 99 but didn't care for the package. I'm just not a lever action guy, so I sold it to finance other projects. I currently have a .358 Win ER Shaw barrel for a Savage and I have the action I just haven't got around to the conversion.

I don't care for the OP's rifle just because it has features I wouldn't have on a .358 Win, nor would I use a Ruger action for a custom build. That said as long as he's happy with it that is all that matters. For deer and black bear a .358 Win will be an awesome combo. With practice the .358 Win can reach out to mid range targets and smack them with authority.

Gameover, Zeis will now have the same problems Leupold has. That problem is they are both now trying to build lower priced optics. They have the problems in the lower priced optics and those problems tarnish the name brand as a whole. Zeiss is already getting hammered on their new entry level scopes.

I can not figure out why Leupold brands anything under VXII as Leupold. It would do their brand much more service if they moved everything sub VXII under the Redfield umbrella.

I want a .358 Winchester, but most of the time when an action comes available for a pleasure build it is a long action. My next "toy for me" is a .338 A square. That is simply because I came about a .30-06 with a bore that was so rusty I looked like dirt daubers had moved into it.

Reynolds, my father sees way more Leupolds come back to the shop then Zeiss. The customers speak for him.

Taylorce, whats wrong with the Ruger Action? Everythings custom on this barrel and the trigger is VERY nice too.

I have the ability to put 10 rounds accuratly down to the 200 yd range effectively in a rifle that should fire extremely well with the competition match grade barrel. Everyone has their own tastes and ill be using my 5 round mags for hunting but at home since its my only rifle ATM I like the QR rings that lead you to a pair of top notch Iron Sites for home. Practical? Hardly, but I dont care.:cool:

reynolds357 said:
I can not figure out why Leupold brands anything under VXII as Leupold. It would do their brand much more service if they moved everything sub VXII under the Redfield umbrella.

The VX1 is the VXII scope, and the old VXI was a VARI-X II scope. Leupold pushes the old tech down in their scope lines. They are using proven technology in their lines under VX2/II, they aren't creating cheaper optics at all they are just using older technology.

reynolds357 said:
I want a .358 Winchester, but most of the time when an action comes available for a pleasure build it is a long action.

Simple build a Whelen, everything the .358 offers and a little more.

I think some of these scopes are grossly over priced. When a scope costs more then your gun that should be a problem..

GAMEOVER said:
Reynolds, my father sees way more Leupolds come back to the shop then Zeiss. The customers speak for him.

There might be simply more people using Leupold optics than Zeiss in your area. Zeiss and Leupold are both good optics and a lot of this is comparing Ford vs. Chevy. Anyway, that's neither here nor there and let's get back on the question at hand.

GAMEOVER said:
Taylorce, whats wrong with the Ruger Action? Everythings custom on this barrel and the trigger is VERY nice too.

Ruger actions are bulky and heavy, and I don't like the way that makes Ruger rifles handle. Then they have that angled action screw which I don't care for as well. I feel that the wing safety is small and awkward to use. I don't care for the stock as it's made to use with the irons or a low mounted scout scope, not the current scope and rings which would make the scope too uncomfortable for me to use.

GAMEOVER said:
I have the ability to put 10 rounds accuratly down to the 200 yd range effectively in a rifle that should fire extremely well with the competition match grade barrel. Everyone has their own tastes and ill be using my 5 round mags for hunting but at home since its my only rifle ATM I like the QR rings that lead you to a pair of top notch Iron Sites for home. Practical? Hardly, but I dont care.

Well I have rifles that can put 10 or more rounds down range accurately, but most do require a reload. However if it were me and I was using the "irons" for home protection I'd have put the rear mounted peep sight back on. I'd have a ghost ring put on that rear mounted peep which I find easier to use in low light conditions than a buckhorn.

Like I said these are all my opinions and don't matter as long as your satisfied with the rifle.

Thats what im looking for.. opinions. Thanks. I think your right about the Leupold audience being maybe bigger too.

On a side note I really wish you could feel this rifle. For me it fits like a glove and I can maneuver very well with it. The Iron Sites are good as they are imo I can flip up a big dot if needed but I hear what your saying. thanks again.

edit^ Im actually thinking about taking this scope off altogether.

Taylor, I have two .35 Whelens. I still need 1 .358 Win and a .350STA. The VX1, Rifleman, etc. is not the quality optic that the higher line scopes are or were.

I only have one Whelen currently, but two .338-06 rifles. I can say you'll not see any difference between the two cartridges, though I can say I like the .338 rifle bullet selection better. I have no desire to run pistol bullets out of my Whelen to make it a plinker, that's why I feel the .338 has the better bullets.

You should really try the new VX1 scopes, they aren't even close to the rifleman scopes anymore. They have VXII internals, lense coatings, and have finger adjustable turrets instead of coin slots. The only difference between the new VX1 and the old VXII is the parallax is set at 75 yds instead of 100. This scope is the best deal Leopold has going right now price wise, and the clarity of the optics stomps the Redfield Revolution into the dust.

You asked.........

I'm with Cheapshooter, but if your're happy, it's all good, it's your rifle of course, ........but you asked.

I wouldn't have chopped up a Ruger Scout for the build, 'cause I like Scouts.

I like the sights and the quick detach feature......scopes do quit and a backup sight system is a plus.

I'm getting more and more partial to shorter tubes for GP use and my type hunting, I just don't need the extra velocity they offer. So I'd have the barrel at 18--20", but that's me.

To qualify under the tactical/practical/GP heading in my book ammo needs to be common and .308 is just that, .358 is not. And there are no "match" bullets, AP, tracer, or affordable FMJ in .358. Not that I'd ever need all that. The .358 round deserved better than it got, but it is a niche cartridge. And I like niche cartridges, but they may not be practical. I read somewhere you ought to be able to strip your ammo out of machine gun links to be truly GP/tactical....???!!??

The .358 (and the .338 Fed) seem like ideal "medium" hunting rounds and I've toyed with the idea of a rifle in same, as well as the .338-06. If I ever get a chance to hunt anywhere other than the next county over, for critters bigger than just deer or hogs, I might get one. If I were buying/building a "medium" type rifle on a short action, the .338 Fed/.358 would get a close look,....as a hunter. But again, I just don't need the advantages the medium bores offer.

Hey, you asked. Clearly, you have built a quality rifle with top shelf components, and you are duly proud of same. Enjoy it.

Bam, Hornady makes a custom (stamped on box) 200gr round for the 358 and im not having trouble finding the ammo. I just didnt see it at walmart.....

Ill be getting handloads. The cartridge itself is a compact FAT round.

Last edited:
Taylor, I might give them a try again in something like a 3-9 x40. The only new VX1 I have is the VX1 Pig. 1-4 X24?. It is not overly impressive. It was priced right, but the optical quality is marginal.

Is there a better scope you guys think I could possibly trade this scope for? Looks great and clear (indoors) I have to take it outside still. Waiting on some range time.

Whats a safe bet to say on how many rounds I can put through this barrel at the range before it heats up too much?

..yes this is my first custom Match Grade barrel.

Shoot it with the scope you have on it, there isn't any need to change anything unless it doesn't work for you. Why take a beating on a trade for a new scope when this one might work for you? If you need to add a Karsten or slip on cheek rest to get your eye inline with the optics, that way you can still use the irons by removing or lowering the cheek rest.

Rifle barrels get hot, you have to be the judge as to what is too hot. Control your rate of fire to a shot every couple of minutes and you'll be able to shot a lot longer than emptying your 10 round mag in 2 minutes. If your barrel is too hot to touch give it a break and let it cool.

If you're shooting a timed event keep shooting until time runs out or your ammo does, then let the rifle cool between strings of fire. However, shooting a .358 Win I doubt you'll be competing with it any time soon. Just shoot it and enjoy it, don't sweat the small stuff.

Please reduce the size of your pictures.
"...in an INSTANT take down the scope and..." Have to sight in again when you put it back on. Removable scope mounts are like that. They rarely hold zero.
"...just didn't see it at Wal-Mart..." Not likely to find it in any small places either. Not enough demand. Downside to the .358 is that the only major company loading it is Hornady. Midway shows both other makers(Winchester does not) as being out of stock.
The .358 Win is certainly not "more powerful" than a .308. And physics says big bullets have more recoil. Barrel heat won't be an issue. It's a hunting rifle, not a battle rifle.
The whole 'scout rifle' concept was one of Coopers more stupid ideas. No military issues scoped bolt actions to anybody but snipers and they're going to semi-auto battle rifles for that.

The 358 should theoretically definately pack more of a punch then the 308. Im going to call some gun shops in my area just for kicks and see if they have 358 in. It has more stopping power. Im confident in the round based off research however I have no field time with it. I dont care if snipers dont use bolt action anymore, im not really a sniper im a hunter. But, you cant tell me a 358 with a 10 round mag wouldnt be hell in a home defense situation. I see possible over travel then again theres a youtube video showing the 358 drop all its energy in a couple 2 liter bottles. The Ruger Gunsight was developed as a tactical and hunting rifle imo that why you get certain features like 10 round mags, picatinny rail etc.

Id choose this over ANY handgun on the market for home defense. Its short and I can cover corners well too. I keep a 10 rounder loaded in a biometric locked next to my bed. And again, yeah I know, it isnt practical but

If I had to have one rifle to do it all. This would be it and that is why I own it.

Back